Question about mold making for a lightsaber

p0sitr0nic

Ok, i dont post here as often as i once did. But this is the only place i know to ask.

I have a custom saber built by a member here, and i want to get a silicone mold made of it. I know nothing about the process. Is anyone in the seattle area who knows this stuff? And on average, what does it cost to do up a mold?

I'd be curious too. There's a youtube video about this process, but they just "have" all the materials on hand at their disposal. I'd like to have someone discuss prices and materials here too! Websites can be confusing without so much detail.

Whelp. This is definitely something above my skill and tool range, seeing as i have no tools like this. Maybe i should just ask how much it would be to get someone to make a mold for me. >.<

My point is, you don't need any tools for mold making. You can make a simple box using foam core, a box cutter, and hot glue. Then you just need the silicone and clay. If you don't want to mess with using clay, you can use another simple product called alginate

I've made a couple of lightsaber moulds, it usually costs about £60 ($100) in materials, with the tools being nothing more than some foamcore, a sharp knife, a ruler and a hot glue gun. Silicone and some mould release are the only materials needed. Materials are probably slightly cheaper in the US though.

The guy in the video had some extra stuff like compressed air, vacuum pumps etc, and those are useful but not necessary.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back