Hasbro Hero Series Millennium Falcon newbie Help..

Datfly

I Hasbro Hero Series Millennium Falcon and I want to paint it.
I know there are many threads on this and and it seems
as many ways to do it but I have failed to bookmark as
I went along and have now lost track and thought I could ask
all my questions in one shot.

What is the most commonly used primer to use on this?
What is the most commonly used base color?
What colors would I use in general for rust & weathering look?
What type of brushes are most recommended for painting & detailing?
I read about pastels as well. Were they for weaterhing?
I am a newbie & this is my first tackle so I am sure it will be a disaster
but I know I'll have more fun then frustration doing, I hope.
If there is a highly recommended on line tutorial please point me in that direction.
I am in the USA so I would like products that may be bought here if possible.

I am not going for modifications at this time as I am using this to learn to
paint. It is my practice run in case I want to look further into the Dagostini Falcon.
I know, I know I hear your heavy sighs as it is probably not for beginners....
but I want to do it.

Since the plastic is not paint friendly, you'll have to use an Adhesion aid before priming it. Thats going to be the only real tricky part that isn't intuitive for someone starting out

Most people have used stuff you can get at automotive stores made for bumpers.

Stuff like Hycote Adhesion aid then primed with Hycote Bumper paint or other similar products (I think Rustoleum makes an adhesion aid for plastic bumpers)

After you get that on, it's pretty straight forward

For paint, there have been a lot of mixes I've seen listed, but Tamiya Light Grey (AS-16) followed by a lighter coat of Tamiya Insignia White (AS-20) is pretty close to the right color (I think in some threads it was mentioned Tamiya' Insignia White is pretty much a match for the MR falcon). They are both conveniently available in spray cans which makes it even easier, especially if just starting out.

After coated with that, I would do several layers washes using oil paint thinned way down with turpenoid (almost a watery consistency). It helps bring out the detail. You'll want a black, and a dark brown for the paint colors

Pastels will help with the streaking effect back by the engines. Simply gets some black, brown/rust colored pastels. Grind then into a powder and brush.wipe on areas. Kind of a trial and error at first

There tons of weathering vidoes you can watch on YouTube showing how to do oil washes and pastel weathering. It helps to kind of see the process in person if your not familiar with it

Thank you for this info!

For the turpenoid wash is that done with a rag and if so what type is recommended? What brand oil paint do you advise?

Thank you again,
Datfly

Since the plastic is not paint friendly, you'll have to use an Adhesion aid before priming it. Thats going to be the only real tricky part that isn't intuitive for someone starting out

Most people have used stuff you can get at automotive stores made for bumpers.

Stuff like Hycote Adhesion aid then primed with Hycote Bumper paint or other similar products (I think Rustoleum makes an adhesion aid for plastic bumpers)

After you get that on, it's pretty straight forward

For paint, there have been a lot of mixes I've seen listed, but Tamiya Light Grey (AS-16) followed by a lighter coat of Tamiya Insignia White (AS-20) is pretty close to the right color (I think in some threads it was mentioned Tamiya' Insignia White is pretty much a match for the MR falcon). They are both conveniently available in spray cans which makes it even easier, especially if just starting out.

After coated with that, I would do several layers washes using oil paint thinned way down with turpenoid (almost a watery consistency). It helps bring out the detail. You'll want a black, and a dark brown for the paint colors

Pastels will help with the streaking effect back by the engines. Simply gets some black, brown/rust colored pastels. Grind then into a powder and brush.wipe on areas. Kind of a trial and error at first

There tons of weathering vidoes you can watch on YouTube showing how to do oil washes and pastel weathering. It helps to kind of see the process in person if your not familiar with it

Nice. I have not seen this video.
I do have some Fine Molds Millennium Falcon how to bookmarked but I was not sure if it was made of the same material as the Hasbro and the same paint & techniques applied.

Here is a decent link to some of the step by step painting techniques. It is the Fine Molds 1/72 falcon, but all the same techniques apply (scroll down a ways to get to the painting part)
http://www.modelmaking.guru/guru-blog/fine-molds-172-millennium-falcon-build-part2

once you get the adhesion coat and primer on, there is no difference between painting/weathering them other than the size difference

From that point the same paint and techniques can apply

They key for Hasbro falcon is getting the adhesion aid. Without it, the paint won;t stick (or at least I don't think anybody has found any paint that sticks directly to the plastic yet)

One other question what is generally used more on the Falcon, painting with brushes or airbrush?
I wont attempt airbrush at this time but I am curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
airbrush.

Although using Tamiya AS-16 and AS-20 will net you the same results as painting with an airbrush since they come in rattle cans. Basecoat with the darker of the two then mist coat with the lighter one. I plan on using that for my falcons as well

If you don't have an airbrush you can try to find a spray can color that matches the reds and dark gray panels, or brush paint those. If you brush paint, try to get a good quality acrylic paint used for miniatures to help hide the brush strokes and not get lumpy/grainy looking. You can mask the edges with masking tape to help get straight lines

Many people use an airbrush to do a lot of the darker streaking and blast marks, but you can do those just as well with pastels and oils brushed on.

You might also look at some of the weathering powders instead of pastels

Once once agai great information.
Good to know about the basecoat painting order.

Weathering Powders? Where do I find them and what brand for you suggest?

thanks,
datfly

airbrush.

Although using Tamiya AS-16 and AS-20 will net you the same results as painting with an airbrush since they come in rattle cans. Basecoat with the darker of the two then mist coat with the lighter one. I plan on using that for my falcons as well

If you don't have an airbrush you can try to find a spray can color that matches the reds and dark gray panels, or brush paint those. If you brush paint, try to get a good quality acrylic paint used for miniatures to help hide the brush strokes and not get lumpy/grainy looking. You can mask the edges with masking tape to help get straight lines

Many people use an airbrush to do a lot of the darker streaking and blast marks, but you can do those just as well with pastels and oils brushed on.

You might also look at some of the weathering powders instead of pastels

I use pastels called "Panpastel". They are very soft and smokey. Perfect for weathering. I use black and brown. Get them on ebay. They are definitely the best out there in my opinion. I've tried Tamiya pastels too an was not impressed.

It's made from HDPE...a plastic popular in the food industry because nothings sticks to it and it's cheap.

You need to apply a 'paint' that has a base thinner that eats and keys the surface.

Only paints based on Celluose (Acrylic Laquer) will work

I have the Falcon and the X-Wing in the hero series and the only thing that works for me is......

Wash all your parts in GP Thinners also known as Acrylic Lacquer thinners.....BE WARNED...while GP and AC Thinners 'key the surface' and make ANY paint adhere to it, they are very toxic in nature. You must wear a ventilator.

Good Luck;)

So I should wipe down the top & bottom of the Falcon with a thinner before I use the Hycote Adhesion aid and with Hycote Bumper paint?

Thank you for helping.
Datfly

It's made from HDPE...a plastic popular in the food industry because nothings sticks to it and it's cheap.

You need to apply a 'paint' that has a base thinner that eats and keys the surface.

Only paints based on Celluose (Acrylic Laquer) will work

I have the Falcon and the X-Wing in the hero series and the only thing that works for me is......

Wash all your parts in GP Thinners also known as Acrylic Lacquer thinners.....BE WARNED...while GP and AC Thinners 'key the surface' and make ANY paint adhere to it, they are very toxic in nature. You must wear a ventilator.

Good Luck;)

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you. I will look these up now.

Datfly

I use pastels called "Panpastel". They are very soft and smokey. Perfect for weathering. I use black and brown. Get them on ebay. They are definitely the best out there in my opinion. I've tried Tamiya pastels too an was not impressed.

fitchenfoo has some awesome youtube videos on falcon painting. I highly recommend their process. It's very organic and doesn't get too caught up in being authentic

I thank everyone for the help and I have acquired my first items but I have a few questions.
Here is what I have so far.

Duplicolor Adhesion Promoter, Clear - Instead of Hycote Adhesion Aid
Duplicolor Gray Filler/Primer - instead of Hycote Bumper Paint
Tamiya Light Grey (AS-16) AS-16
Tamiya Insignia White AS-20

I have ordered these for down the road.
502 Abteilung Oils
Dark Rust
Light Rust Brown
Olive Green
German Grey Highlight
Engine Grease
Starship Filth (CANT FIND)

What I need to know is do I need to prep the falcon in any way before I spray it?
I assume I spray the Adhesion Aid first - how long do I let it dry before I use the color spray?
What is the average drying time between spraying one color to the next?

THANK YOU for helping.
It means a lot to me.

Datfly

When I got the toy, I took it apart.

I did all my testing on the plastic inside the ship. First on the bare plastic was the Hycote Adhesion Aid,...when you spray it on you can see the surface is wet, but very quickly you'll see it drying and the toy will have a matte surface....then a blast of the bumper paint,.....this stuff stinks

When it was dry, thats when I started the strength tests,.....masking tape,.....Gaffer tape.....Super Glue,.....no problems

J

It's nice to review. The BMF thread at 74+ pages has become an encyclopedia with no table of contents or index. Thanks to everyone who doesn't dismiss these questions by passing off to that thread. I've read it but it took a few days and finding the little details can take hours.

Thank you for this info!

For the turpenoid wash is that done with a rag and if so what type is recommended? What brand oil paint do you advise?

Thank you again,
Datfly

I this kind
4oz-odorless-turpenoid-118ml-from-martin-weber-2.jpg

I like Weber odorless Turpenoid mostly because it easy to get and I can use a 40% to 50% coupon at AC Moore and it doesn't have a strong smell (although you still need room ventilation).

Oil paints I use Windsor Newtons Titanium White, Black, Raw Umber and Burnt Umber, Cobalt Blue and Cadmium Red and Yellow again for the same reason. I can get them at AC Moore and Michaels' with coupons and I can mix just about any grimy color wash with those colors.

With the exception of black, those were the only colors my painting teacher would let us use since you theoretically should be able to mix pretty much any color from those. We couldn't use black, because in his color theory, there was no truely black color, it was all some dark shade of some other color that may look black but not really black

Have most of my supplies in hand and just went to give the falcon an acetone wash. I am using a old t shirt but it evaporates so quickly it does not seem to really get on the model?
Should I use a big brush and apply it liberally then wipe it away with the shirt? How do I get in the deep nooks & crannies?

Thanks for any pointers.

Tried to look online but apparently this is used for something much much different.....!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back