Mara Jade's Father

Master Member
Why are these scope rings the preferred rings to replicate the GK prop:

$_57-1.JPG

But when I look at images such as:

IMG_0500.PNG

and

Greedo-Killer-Star-Wars-Blaster-Han-Solo.jpg

The scope rings look a lot more like this (not the exact one, but close enough to make my point):

M30346610.jpg

What I can't understand is why the one so commonly referred to as the Greedo Killer isn't referred to as the Chronicles or post/pre-production blaster. The actual screen used blaster has the same scope mount and scope, but the rings and placement are completely different and the M3 grease gun flash hider is never seen in the movie, plus it's ugly as dog crap in my opinion and I never put it on my Greedo Killer when I had it....I used a HERO flash hider.

because they are the screen used versions... and easier as heck to find compared to the wonky offset mis-matched football style ones.

View attachment 537515

I think we had this discussion before, if memory serves.

I guess two things bother me.

1. I have a hard time believing they switched out something as trivial as scope rings from the time of those publicity photos to filming the pick up shots (or vice-versa).
2. The resolution from screen caps has always been poor due to the lighting. It is almost impossible to make out a major detail like the knobs. So I feel that smaller details like the place where two piece scope rings join and screw holes could be drowned out completely.

I know... it is probably just me. But I cannot help think about other props in the past like Luke's V2 lightsaber. For so many years, people looked at screen shots and swore that saw filter screws, flat knobs. knurled knobs, flat emitter face, bi-level emitter face. Those were all incorrect. But people looked at a grainy photo and swore they saw those details.

Until some better image comes along, i am going to be a sceptic. Am I saying I think the football rings were used during filming? No. However due to what I see or can't see, I must not rule it out. Like I said... it is probably just me.

360053098_a08edbbb61.jpg

The old VHS was easier to see, before they crushed the blacks in the special editions and blu rays.

Still, you can clearly see the common weaver knobs, and they are high rise. But in my opinion the high rise look stupid, so I use low or mid rise.

There's no telling why they may have swapped rings... it's doubtful they made two, as the scope matches. But you can clearly see the screen version isn't as weathered. So obviously it'd been handled and beaten a bit.

What I can't understand is why the one so commonly referred to as the Greedo Killer isn't referred to as the Chronicles or post/pre-production blaster. The actual screen used blaster has the same scope mount and scope, but the rings and placement are completely different and the M3 grease gun flash hider is never seen in the movie, plus it's ugly as dog crap in my opinion and I never put it on my Greedo Killer when I had it....I used a HERO flash hider.

It's just a fan designation. It's a lot better name than "Solo pulls his blaster from his holster in the cantina in order to defend himself from Greedo" blaster Or "We needed a blaster for the pick up shots in the US since we could not bring the Hero prop from the UK" Blaster.

As a fan, not my favorite Solo blaster either. But as my collection grew, I grew to appreciate the variation of this particular prop and added to my collection. For me, it's not about how pretty a prop looks, but what it represents in the movie. This is a Solo weapon and it is the only A New Hope Solo blaster that gets it's own close up. You could almost argue that the GK should really be called the hero prop because of that fact.

View attachment 537522

The old VHS was easier to see, before they crushed the blacks in the special editions and blu rays.

Still, you can clearly see the common weaver knobs, and they are high rise. But in my opinion the high rise look stupid, so I use low or mid rise.

There's no telling why they may have swapped rings... it's doubtful they made two, as the scope matches. But you can clearly see the screen version isn't as weathered. So obviously it'd been handled and beaten a bit.

When I look at that image and make myself believe that the football rings on there, I can still see that it is possible. I can see how certain details might be lost in the shadows and resolution. I can't shake it. It's probably going to bug me forever. :wacko

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back