Q: How do i apply Hair to a plastic model

Soldierbl

Hello, like the title says i want to know if there is a technique to apply hair to a plastic model kit (a 1/144 bandai kit - mr Bushido's Ahead). I have search on the www , but I only get responses like wigs, hair extensions and doll making.
1- What material I could use to pass like hair and are common materials?
2- How can I apply it to the robots’ head – it is inflexible and around 1 maybe 2 mm thick

The head is this:
head.jpg

What I want to get is similar to a samurai helmet with hair:
samurai haired armor.jpg

Thank you very much

head.jpg

samurai haired armor.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
For 1/144 scale, you will have a difficult time making it look anything like the second photograph. Take a hair where the average width is 10 micrometers. Now divide that by 144. Unless you have some sort of nanotechnology you will be out of luck. It would be best to use flat paint and dry brushing to achieve the look you want.

TazMan2000

For 1/144 scale, you will have a difficult time making it look anything like the second photograph. Take a hair where the average width is 10 micrometers. Now divide that by 144. Unless you have some sort of nanotechnology you will be out of luck. It would be best to use flat paint and dry brushing to achieve the look you want.

TazMan2000
I know the scale is small, but i don't what to keep it ... i just want to make look like that...
thank for you for your time and interest

When making a 'beard' for an even smaller gnome I used some white knitting wool and disentangled it between my fingers getting even smaller fibers which could give the effect you're after ... then use a bit of glue on your model and attache them gently :) With a toothbrush you can try to comb the 'hairs' ;)

Chaim

You could get a piece of faux white fur(synthetic/acrylic) and cut of the hairs.
For glue i used elmers white glue in the past with great results.
Make shure though to glue the hairs in the direction of natural growth or else it will not look convincing at all.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back