Advice on the Crest of Alpha Lupi?

WaffleSammich

Hello! I was planning out and hopefully going to work on a destiny cosplay this month, but I was looking for advice on making the chest piece of my guardian: The Crest of Alpha Lupi. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for the actual wolf face part, everything else seems simple enough. I'm working on a budget, so please try to keep it cheap.

Try to find a high res pic of it, adjust contrast so it's clear (if you can't find a normal crest) and print it out, then make a stencil in cardboard or something. or I'm being a complete idiot and it's not just a decal.

Edit: yep it's not a decal.

I'd say...try foam. Maybe get some cheap clay first, sculpt it, and then use paper to create patterns to transfer to foam?

Try to find a high res pic of it, adjust contrast so it's clear (if you can't find a normal crest) and print it out, then make a stencil in cardboard or something. or I'm being a complete idiot and it's not just a decal.

Edit: yep it's not a decal.

I'd say...try foam. Maybe get some cheap clay first, sculpt it, and then use paper to create patterns to transfer to foam?

Yeah I was thinking foam but I didn't think of the clay. I think I'll try the foam first because I had a general idea of what I was going to do, but if I must I'll try clay. Thanks!

In my google searches for destiny stuff I came across someone's blog where they did the crest, pretty sure they did it with stencils for each layer then sculpting clay on top of that to build it up. I'm sorry but I can't remember the site or even if that's the real way they did it lol,
but if you search destiny hunter cosplay On google image search I'm sure you will find the site I'm talking about.

What I meant was you sculpt it first, then overlay paper and cut it to patterns, so you can transfer those patterns to foam, making it less likely for you to make a mistake with foam.

Yeah I was trying to stay away from worbla. But with thin enough foam and enough cuts I could probably pull it off. PS: I don't know why but for some reason it doesn't show my actual name on my profile, but "She" is actually a "He" haha. No worries though ^^
Thanks for the linking that tutorial too!

My bad, I wasn't aware of the cost of worbla. Also, my iPad seems to think I'm trying to type world instead of worbla. Also also, I would consider doing the same route with the layers of thin foam, then sculpting on top of that with some cheap clay or something similar like ^^ hannathing said. Even if you're not a good sculptor it should be a lot easier once you have the basic shape layered up in foam like in that tutorial.

Yeah I'm not too great at sculpting clay, although it's fair to get start learning. Wood is what I'm good with. But I might try some of those plastics that start as beads but once you heat them they can be molded together. Anyone have any idea on what those are called? I forgot and I was looking at them a while ago.

From your description I think that the beads you're thinking of might be the plastic that is the basis of worbla in my understanding. The chemical name is polycaprolactone (pcl for short I think). You can get it in big bags by itself and I'm sure that there are branded versions of the stuff in bead from but I can't think of any of the names right now.

Hope that's of use.

Alright thanks. and no hannathing I wasn't. I don't see how I could even think of using those, ha. But One think I was thinking of doing was making it out of layers but I carve each layer to make it easier.

You're probably thinking of Worbla DecoArt or something like that. You can also have them in hot water, get them out, sculpt and let it cool down. I have them too, just never used it yet. Mostly because I think they can be handy for sculpting, making a mould, melt them and re-use it them.

I wasn't really think of worbla since for the most part worbla is out of the question. It was just the plastic in general, polycaprolactone in general. I thought it might help but I'll try foam first if I have leftovers. The Con I'm going to is in January so I have a bit of time.

EDIT: I found it! Stuff like Instamorph is what I was looking for. I'm not completely sure how it'll work so before I blow money on it I'll try foam.

I wasn't really think of worbla since for the most part worbla is out of the question. It was just the plastic in general, polycaprolactone in general. I thought it might help but I'll try foam first if I have leftovers. The Con I'm going to is in January so I have a bit of time.

EDIT: I found it! Stuff like Instamorph is what I was looking for. I'm not completely sure how it'll work so before I blow money on it I'll try foam.

It's not the same as worbla, it's just another of 'their' products. I won it once in a competition. They're available under a variety of names really.

Yeah but it's the cheaper one I was looking for. But like I said, I think I know what to do with carving the foam as layers now. I will try to look to it for other things though. But I'm pretty sure I know what to do with the foam for right now.

Alright. It'll probably be done this month. Also: do you know where I can get clear Vinyl? I need some for the mask, which is the Carnivore Match helm.

To make a visor? If so, I'm not certain. I'm not familiar with products and materials in the US and where to get them. Maybe craft stores carry some?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back