Tempest T-65 X-Wing build

Miranda Tempest

I've been following some of these post regarding the 30" Hasbro Hero series X-wing fighter. It seems as though the Hero series X-wing projects have stopped or at least no more progress notes or pics have been added as of late, a lot of great builds so far. Great job to those of you that are attempting this and thank you for the inspiration I'm hoping we can compare notes to making the Hero series X-wing one of the best X-wing to have as a project.

I thought I'd post some of my pics and progress of my X-wing along with reference photo comparisons to ILM X-wings.:p
I will always update the progress and will not stop until this is completed.

I found my 30" X-wing at Walmart on the clearance shelf for $25. I'm thinking of making this RED 2!

Here is the first pic with the wings cut off... 20150928_120349.jpg

Last edited:
Re: My 30" Hero series X-wing build

I decided to start this project with the engines and work my way forward, since the engines and wings will take the most time and effort.

So, after pulling the entire X-wing apart I closely examined these parts and compared them to ILM reference photos to see just how close this x-wing was...I'm REALLY amazed at how accurate it actually is!
Engine intakes are molded together... those needed to be cut apart.20150928_115636.jpg
Once there apart, I trimmed the excess off the intake.20150928_115841.jpg
This segmented piece was trimmed off and will be added later to wrap around the bottom half of the intake.intake1.jpg

Intakes do not sit flush against the engines, there is a gap. Scale X-wings do not have this gap.20150928_120929.jpgblue1ref.jpg
These tabs need to be trimmed off.20150928_121004.jpgIntakes now mount flush with the engines.20150928_121343.jpg
Other sections of the egine will need to be cut away and re-built, for example, the rectangle ridge on the engine can. This photo actually shows the bottom port engine and I think Hasbro molded this to act as the "landing gear" for the toy to sit on.engine1.jpg

There are only 3 engines that will need to make ONE good one for casting!
This is half the detail needed.enginemod1.jpgenginemod2.jpg
The 1/4 of detail from one of the bottom engines will be needed.enginemod3.jpg

Last edited:

enginemod5.jpgenginemod6.jpg
Not sure if this detail will stay in the end but is needed for the moment to get other things to line up.
The large hole I've cut open to separate these engines will eventually be covered or rebuilt with poly-styrene.

The big 30 hero x wing is a challenge on multiple levels.

It's very accurate in many parts and terrible in others.

My intention was to open the wings and keep it simple, but the more I worked on it.....the more build challenges presented, especially in the minor accuracy and overall product material.

It kind of sucks you in because it's a nice big bird that has a lot of accuracy, but it's made of a cheap rubbish plastic (HDPE) and the whole project turns into a massive trade off.

If you're this far, you've probably seen my build....one day I will get back to it...but until I solve the recast wing attachment issue...it stays on the shelf.

Best of luck with your build....it has much potential, but it can suck the life out of you;)

A few photos...you've seen them I'm sure...but hey who hasn't :lol

Last edited:

I have seen your build. One of the projects that has inspired me. I read and pored over all these posts, re-activated my account, lol and set out looking for this X-wing.
I've read a few people were having glue problems, I'm not having any glue problems but there is a 2 part poly-ethylene glue available. I also found that carefully taking a heat gun, you can heat polish the surface and it helps the glue stick better. If done correctly you'll notice the surface go from dull to shiny and almost have a squeaky clean full to it.

I use purple ZAP CA. It is a thicker gel type CA, gap filler. The glue worked sooo well on this project that at one point
I thought I screwed up and almost had to cut the piece apart it held that well, Glad I realized that I didn't screw up...just payed more attention to what I was doing, Lol!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Chaank!

Now to put one good engine together!
20150928_120011.jpg20150928_120135.jpgenginemod7.jpg
One of the Engines from the lower wings is cut off, then cut in half,
taking care not to cut too
far into any detail of said part. It's pretty thick, a razor saw makes short work of this
and you won't have to go through a box of band aids using an exacto! The half of the engine with the red X
is total scrap and shall be enjoyed by taking stress out on it and skipping it down the road or into the lake!

Last edited:

Sweet! Thank you, Glad you like it so far. A lot of great things happening on this model.

Have a gun pod almost complete and will be posting that soon!

now taking one of bottom engines that I cut off earlier, cut it in half.20150928_120220.jpgRed X is scrapenginemod8.jpg
This the detail part needed to complete the engine and it ALSO needs to be cut in half.20150928_123936.jpgThen cleaned up.20150928_130210.jpg

I cut the other top engine off and it was also cut in half then in half again.20150928_131817.jpgenginemod9.jpg
I scrapped the end piece, not needed.20150928_154112.jpg

I took the top engine half and the 1/4 bottom engine detail and glued them together. 20150928_151457.jpg
You can see the engine detail lines up and if you flip it over, the other side matches up too! enginemod10.jpg
I used the front part of the 3rd engine I quartered, and glued it in place. 20150928_161916.jpg Note how well the details line up?
This made one complete engine. Takes 3 to make one!

Nice work...you could silicone mold and cast the other engines, that's what I did with the main internal engines and then you have the set and an opportunity (if you want) to sell parts to others, which is also what I did.....great work, well done;)

My initial thoughts for this X-Wing were to have
the engines light up and cockpit light up. I cleaned up and filled any gaps on the engine, along
with replacing/ rebuilding any detail that accidentally got cut off or scraped away.

I wanted to create a channel in which the wiring/ LED's would be passed through and also
provide a more secure mounting of this engine to the main engine section. I cut a piece of PVC pipe 1/2" X 5" long. I carefully cut the hole
opening just slightly larger at the front and the rear part of the engine.
20150930_110906.jpgMaking absolutely certain everything was centered I passed the PVC through the engine.
PERFECT FIT! 20150930_141924.jpg
Did a test fit of the engine nozzle. Everything lines up great!!20150930_141447.jpgCOMPLETED ENGINE READY FOR CASTING!!
Looking down the engine nozzle, square hole will be filled and internal engine details/ LED's will be added later! 20150930_142531.jpg

Last edited:

That's what i was thinking Rogue Trooper. I will be making everything I cast on this project available.
That way, all someone has to do is get one of these giant ass X-wings somewhere on clearance, cut off the junk parts and replace with the scale casts.

and as Borat says "Great Success!"

I will set the engine aside for now and come back to it later.

For now I will post other items that will have to be cut off, built up and made ready for casting!

That's what i was thinking Rogue Trooper. I will be making everything I cast on this project available.!

Let me know if you want a silicone mold of my internal engines...they are my own design based on some research.....there is massive amounts of conflicting details regarding the originals, so I went with a happy medium.

I gave away the original mold to a RPF member, but I can mold another master if you need it.

PS, Please don't think I'm trying to hijack your thread (I hate that)....just trying to help:D

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back