Who makes the highest quality lightsabers?

XxevolutionxX

I've been checking out a lot of videos online and I can't seem to figure out who makes the highest quality lightsabers. I want to reick it out with all the bells and whistles. My budget for a saber is $1000 but I'm willing to go a little over that if I have to. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. ^_^

I've been checking out a lot of videos online and I can't seem to figure out who makes the highest quality lightsabers. I want to reick it out with all the bells and whistles. My budget for a saber is $1000 but I'm willing to go a little over that if I have to. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. ^_^

What kind of saber do you want: licensed or fan made? From genuine parts or replica? Force FX with blade or hilt only? OT, PT, EU or anything?

I'm kind of new to the whole saber scene. What is the difference between licensed and fan made? Licensed is just licensed by the star wars franchise while fan fan is not? Is it worth paying the extra for licensed? I'm looking to get all genuine parts and the strongest blade I can get unless the strength of the blade is going to effect my brightness. I want the bright lightsaber money can buy and I want all the best sound effect with the black that lights up from bottom to top like in the movies. I also noticed in some YouTube videos people seem to have lights in their hilt?

Yes, depending on what you're looking for in a saber, there are several routes to go. I would suggest trying your hand at building your own, either from hardware store parts, MHS parts (like what can be found at www.thecustomsabershop.com), or if you are more into a screen-accurate saber, you can find replica parts or even the real components from which the props were originally made... if your wallet is ready :D

Is there any real difference in quality between the replica and the real parts or are the real parts just for collectors purposes? I want whichever has the highest quality in durability and looks.

Again depends on what you want. Seems that you want a lightsaber with lighted blade like the Force FX versions. The ones made from genuine parts most of the time are hilt only, and made for display purposes, because not too many would play with an original Graflex, MPP etc.

As I see it you have the following options (1-4 are licensed sabers):

1. go for the old Master Replicas (MR) ones (prices are quite high and on some will be higher due to the new SW movies hype) - great hilt sabers, come with elegant display cases, limited edition plaques, COAs (some sabers with t-track grips might start having sticky issues)
2. get the few EFX lightsabers made (again high prices on some) - similar to MR ones, very nice collectible pieces
3. there are a few old Icons sabers too - not too accurate, but still very nice pieces of prop replica history
4. go for some Force FX ones from MR, Hasbro etc. (some are very cool, pretty similar and accurate to the props like Vader sabers, others are less accurate like Obi ANH or Luke ROTJ - wide necks - again some sabers with t-track grips might start having sticky issues) - not sure about the newer versions
5. go fan made (Romans, Parks etc.) superb replicas, and in most cases more accurate than MR, Icons or EFX
6. go for the real deal (Graflex, MPP etc. conversions) - the most accurate option, expensive and rare, but the closest thing you can get to a screen used saber

I'm kind of new to the whole saber scene. What is the difference between licensed and fan made? Licensed is just licensed by the star wars franchise while fan fan is not? Is it worth paying the extra for licensed? I'm looking to get all genuine parts and the strongest blade I can get unless the strength of the blade is going to effect my brightness. I want the bright lightsaber money can buy and I want all the best sound effect with the black that lights up from bottom to top like in the movies. I also noticed in some YouTube videos people seem to have lights in their hilt?

Licensed means they are identical to screen-used sabers. This is important because if you (like me) only want a saber that is used in the movies, that means you go down one path vs. another.

Licensed means they have a high degree of credibility and a copyright mark. They were designed and made by the movie company for mass production. This means you'll get a chrome tube cut in the shape of a graflex, but not a graflex reproduction. The funny thing is, especially with Star Wars, fans have created much more accurate hilts. (This is hilt only) sometimes for less money, depending on the saber you want, how quickly you want it, etc.

One thing with lightsabers is that there are arguably two types: static ones for display and cosplay ones with the blade, lights,and sound. Judging from your reply, it sounds like you want the latter.

Static ones are usually more accurate and can be more expensive since we look for accuracy. This is due to the fact that the saber will stay in a case to be looked at and thus there is room to use more "authentic" materials like an actual graflex. However, most people dont get blades and sound for them so Ill skip it.

I think the best ones you can get are Force FX sabers that are sold at walmart. This was a line started by master replicas when they were active and these sabers are pretty good, although lose a little accuracy to fit the blade. This depends on the saber so a luke or vader looks much more accurate than an obi. I think there are other fan-made sabers like saber forge that create custom hilts not tied to any character.

If you want accuracy with a hilt, you could try to convert a static to include a blade and sound. Again, there are many people who make great accurate sabers which can be more accurate than fan made versions but who depends on which characters saber from which movie you are interested in.

First order of business here. Which particular character's saber from which movie are you looking to do?

If you want an accurate hilt with all the bells and whistles, go for Roman's FX Obi ANH. All of the parts are accurate reproductions of the real deal, machined in a way that allows for electronics to be installed. Romans Empire makes and sells the parts, and someone like scottjua can do the install

Last edited by a moderator:
The OP came to the RPF to see what the best, most functional lightsaber he can get for $1K was. If I could afford a Roman's it would be in my safe right now. Is that really our answer?

if you want one to duel then go with ultrsaber or saberforge as they seem to have good reviews about their blades taking a harder and longer beating than force fx not to mention they are brighter but hilts are nothing like the movie as far as accuracy they are just duelings hilts.

if you want to duel with some movie accuracy then go with hasbro force fx.

if you want just the hilt i hear roman makes one hell of a good ANH obi wan and i hear parks sabers makes a really good luke and vader

but with a budget of over $1k its not for me but you might like the reveal saber hilts that go for around that price made by master replicas I think.

Last edited:
The OP came to the RPF to see what the best, most functional lightsaber he can get for $1K was. If I could afford a Roman's it would be in my safe right now. Is that really our answer?

I'm not sure I follow. Are you suggesting that a Roman's is not the best he can get for $1k? It's hands down the most accurate available, and the new FX parts allow electronics installs and blade anchors that have never really been possible before with an accurate Obi ANH ( slothfurnace doesn't count--he's a wizard on a different plane)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure I follow. Are you suggesting that a Roman's is not the best he can get for $1k? It's hands down the most accurate available, and the new FX parts allow electronics installs and blade anchors that have never really been possible before with an accurate Obi ANH ( @slothfurnace doesn't count--he's a wizard on a different plane)

Sorry, Kevin. I was most unclear. Roman's products are the absolute top of the food chain. I would have to, no ******, buy a safe to put anything I purchased from him in. However, I am convinced the OP would like to purchase a battle-ready, removable blade, less than $1K, as close to screen-used ( I hope or he is in the absolutely wrong place) lightsaber available.

I am firmly convinced recommending the best hilt, given those limitations, will cause nothing but hardship and dissatisfaction.

Roman's weathered kit is $481. You could get the rest of the parts required for around $200. Would it cost more than $300 for somebody to do a basic install (just to make it functioning with blade, light, and sound, no fancy crystal chamber or anything like that)?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back