Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Subscribe
    From
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sep 15, 2016, 3:16 AM - Re: Suicide Squad Deadshot Costume build #76

The cord from the Motorola S9 appears to attach to the inside of the "arm" of the eyepiece, so only 1 earpiece is in use. You didn't want the Motorola S9 to be functional? So perhaps you could use the arm from some glasses.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deadshot-eye-gear2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	664099
  2. Member Since
    Sep 2016
    Sep 17, 2016, 11:55 AM - Re: Suicide Squad Deadshot Costume build #77

The double Kydex holsters were custom made by TAC PRO in Thornhill, Ontario.
    From
    Scotland
    Sep 18, 2016, 3:42 AM - Re: Suicide Squad Deadshot Costume build #78

I made this up before the film came out, reference photos were not as good as the ones posted above.. Still need to finish it (LEDs & Paint)
    From
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sep 19, 2016, 11:55 PM - Re: Suicide Squad Deadshot Costume build #79

geezer said: View Post

Ah well that solves that mystery. I was going to make my own anyway. EVA foam backing, craft foam and/or Worbla Pie for the front, or something like that
    Sep 20, 2016, 3:01 AM - Re: Suicide Squad Deadshot Costume build #80

Thank you for confirming.
  6. Member Since
    Sep 2014
    Sep 22, 2016, 8:36 PM - Re: Suicide Squad Deadshot Costume build #81

I'm making a functional screen accurate paintball wrist gun over on my own thread. I'll try to keep progress on them on this thread additionally for anyone thats interested
  7. Member Since
    Feb 2015
    Feb 13, 2017, 9:45 AM - Re: Suicide Squad Deadshot Costume build #82

Which model Nerf Gun was this? (I apologize if this was already asked!)
  8. Member Since
    Feb 2015
    Feb 13, 2017, 9:50 AM - Re: Suicide Squad Deadshot Costume build #83

I meant this one here...

Dirtbag11 said: View Post
    I don't think I have the money to buy all those mag pouches, probably gonna have to make them and settle for good enough. I've already made a good enough gun out of an old Nerf gun I had laying around, still not finished though.
    Attachment 619994Attachment 619995
    I've got some irons in the fire with the mask, and I've bought a couple close enough mags for pretty cheap.
    Feb 13, 2017, 11:02 AM - Re: Suicide Squad Deadshot Costume build #84

IamHardware said: View Post
    I meant this one here...
    It's the Nerf Longstrike
  10. Member Since
    Feb 2015
    Feb 16, 2017, 11:09 PM - Re: Suicide Squad Deadshot Costume build #85

Nerf Longstrike; THANKS!
    From
    Newcastle, Australia
    Mar 14, 2017, 8:11 PM - Re: Suicide Squad Deadshot Costume build #86

For my own Deadshot rifle I used the following Nerf parts;
    Stock: Retaliator
    Blaster: Recon CS-6 (can use Retaliator)
    Barrel: Longstrike
    Grip: Retaliator
    Scope: Zombie Strike Clear Shot
    Magazine: Standard 18 dart clip with some craft foam. Would have gotten a proper banana mag but considered it to be a minor detail

At my local hardware store (Bunnings in Australia) I found Rust-Oleum Colonial Red as a nice match.

I didn't get time for weathering, the crosshairs or the slogan.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0005.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	714431Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SS-supanova-2016-(59).jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	473.2 KB 
ID:	714432
  12. Member Since
    Mar 2017
    From
    Doncaster
    Mar 20, 2017, 11:48 AM - Re: Suicide Squad Deadshot Costume build #87

this is really handy since I'm going to make the rear holster out of foam initially and once I have ironed out any teething issues I will go to a final version made from plastic guttering and base layer it with 3mm foam and then a layer of then rubber to hopefully avoid movement on the back. I hate wearing rear harnesses and holsters any way so this might be a part of the project that I mount with industrial Velcro so I can remove it when it is itching or annoying me.

For making the holster there is a really good video on youtube I have used before. Will try to post it later if I can.
  13. Member Since
    Mar 2017
    From
    Doncaster
    Mar 20, 2017, 12:02 PM - Re: Suicide Squad Deadshot Costume build #88

It is quite common for prop masters to rig the stunt crew out with rubber items. A couple of my personal friends are stunt coordinators and I speak to them occasionally.

Quite often the rubber helps to stop the vests and outfits from moving during action scenes, not to mention the added safety on the prop items. A good prop master and assistant will try to layer up the lower pieces often to make them more resilient. Not forgetting when foam is used sweat and water damages the outfits rather quickly. it is for this reason that many will heat seal the foam initially, use plastidip or another sealer, and then sometimes use a fabric base layer, which can then be reinforced with rubber on the outer details and joints.

I have recently started layering a thin piece of rubber around the edge of some of my most recent foam builds and will do so for this one, as it grips the under shirt a lot better and stops movement.

You are quite right many internal rivets and clasps will be layered over to make them more comfortable, though after speaking to a props master recently this has to be closely monitored since sometimes comfort, manouverability and practicality are on a thin line. Just one of the many reasons why cost escalates and their might be numerous version of the outfit between the stunt crew and hero/actors. I prime example of this was when the Dark Knight was filmed.. (if you look at the ras Al Ghul legend stunt crew nearly every one had a different out fit in that, must have been a knightmare for the costume and design team).

RockitScience said: View Post
    The rifle is an AR15. Like Wes said it's all off the shelf except for the hand-guard. A long-barrelled M4 or a HK416 would look similar.

Wow, that is awesome information, thanks for sharing! It's funny with what you say about rubber gear in the wall-repelling scene - I noticed in a set photo from that day of filming that the end of the pistol on the thigh was bent, I wondered if it was rubber!
    Would you be able to confirm the purpose of the fabric going down between the plates on either side of the front torso armour? It looks like a strip of fabric hiding fixings underneath, or was it just for aesthetics?
    Mar 20, 2017, 5:24 PM - Re: Suicide Squad Deadshot Costume build #89

ArgusUndercover said: View Post
    It is quite common for prop masters to rig the stunt crew out with rubber items. A couple of my personal friends are stunt coordinators and I speak to them occasionally.

Quite often the rubber helps to stop the vests and outfits from moving during action scenes, not to mention the added safety on the prop items. A good prop master and assistant will try to layer up the lower pieces often to make them more resilient. Not forgetting when foam is used sweat and water damages the outfits rather quickly. it is for this reason that many will heat seal the foam initially, use plastidip or another sealer, and then sometimes use a fabric base layer, which can then be reinforced with rubber on the outer details and joints.

I have recently started layering a thin piece of rubber around the edge of some of my most recent foam builds and will do so for this one, as it grips the under shirt a lot better and stops movement.

You are quite right many internal rivets and clasps will be layered over to make them more comfortable, though after speaking to a props master recently this has to be closely monitored since sometimes comfort, manouverability and practicality are on a thin line. Just one of the many reasons why cost escalates and their might be numerous version of the outfit between the stunt crew and hero/actors. I prime example of this was when the Dark Knight was filmed.. (if you look at the ras Al Ghul legend stunt crew nearly every one had a different out fit in that, must have been a knightmare for the costume and design team).
    Thanks for the information, I hadn't heard of this mutli-layering (foam, fabric, rubber) technique but it sounds useful. I'd love to see a picture of how you've utilised rubber on the edges of your build if you don't mind sharing.
    Do the prop masters you've spoken to mention using rubber foams in sheets like EVA, L200, etc frequently or do they prefer to cast a sculpted piece straight to rubber?
  15. Member Since
    Mar 2017
    From
    Doncaster
    Mar 20, 2017, 6:36 PM - Re: Suicide Squad Deadshot Costume build #90

Thanks for the information, I hadn't heard of this mutli-layering (foam, fabric, rubber) technique but it sounds useful. I'd love to see a picture of how you've utilised rubber on the edges of your build if you don't mind sharing.
    Do the prop masters you've spoken to mention using rubber foams in sheets like EVA, L200, etc frequently or do they prefer to cast a sculpted piece straight to rubber?
    Should not be much of a problem, just waiting for my mannequin to arrive in my size then I'm going to be working on the suicide deadshot. I'm thinking I am going to cut the foam using templates, glue them with some 2 inch strapping possibly since I want to maintain some flexibility between the chest armour and the abs. Then I'm considering cutting some old combat trousers up and putting that behind the foam as a base layer. I saw this idea many moons ago when a professional costume maker (on youtube) was using this technique to build LARP armour. He stated that since people wearing armour tended to be more active they sweat more. This outer base layer would stop sweat and moisture getting into the foam joints quickly and help maintain the costume for years rather than months. He also quite often reinforced weak points and glue seams with rubber to maintain flexibility and seal the seams.

I've rarely done that, but then it gave me the idea to use rubber occasionally on the edges of gauntlets to stop them sliding around your arms. It also helps to some times put them on the shoulder straps as it stops the armour sliding on the points which tend to have more action. Also is very handy when using compression suits as a base layer as some foam does not layer good on compression fabric.

It must be a good idea because it is similar to what they do on first aid supports now.. they prefer to use silicone bands around the edges of supports which are next to the skin as it prevents bandages and supports moving and sliding.

Once my mannequin arrives I will start my Deadshot tactical vest build and take regular photo's of the build. I am Still looking for the template for the Deadshot vest armour, but I think I am going to use the vest pattern from the 1/6 action figure as a guide. I have posted the figure in my public profile album along with other items I will be using too.
  16. Member Since
    Mar 2017
    From
    Doncaster
    Mar 24, 2017, 12:19 PM - Re: Suicide Squad Deadshot Costume build #91

Attachment 647362
    And since we're sharing progress pics, this is my armour so far, none of it is perfect but it's decent enough for conventions. Thanks for sharing yours too Dirtbag, it looks great.
    For anyone still seeking reference pictures, a load of new high-res stills from the movie were released at SDCC yesterday, including some useful ones of Deadshot (Even showing how the mask's faceplate removes for fitting and how the wrist guns are loaded!)
    Attachment 647363Attachment 647364Attachment 647365
    My apattern for the armour is taking a while trying to get it in proprtion for my 5ft9 height and 49chest is a bit awkward. I've done two pattern small scale.. then resized to 120% and 135% and each one is not accurate for my perspective and proportion. Think I m going to have to have the upper plates at about 130% and the lower plates around 115/120 - I reLLY DON'T WANT TO FREEHAND them again.. But might just prints will smith's off if i can get a nice front copy.. and then rescale as a last resort..What have people done for the decal and graphics I was hoping there might be stickers or decals on line but have not found any for the vest, armour, guns and rifle etc
    Mar 25, 2017, 6:02 PM - Re: Suicide Squad Deadshot Costume build #92

My apattern for the armour is taking a while trying to get it in proprtion for my 5ft9 height and 49chest is a bit awkward. I've done two pattern small scale.. then resized to 120% and 135% and each one is not accurate for my perspective and proportion. Think I m going to have to have the upper plates at about 130% and the lower plates around 115/120 - I reLLY DON'T WANT TO FREEHAND them again.. But might just prints will smith's off if i can get a nice front copy.. and then rescale as a last resort..What have people done for the decal and graphics I was hoping there might be stickers or decals on line but have not found any for the vest, armour, guns and rifle etc
    As far as I am aware, there are no decals already out there. I omitted the decal on my chestplate and just painted it straight on by marking out a basic crosshair (but I wasn't going for 100% accuracy). For the "I am the light, the way" decals on the wrist gun, I matched the font and gold colour then printed a strip of text (gold coloured text on black paper) that would fit neatly in between the grooves either side of the decal.
    From
    Newcastle, Australia
    Mar 29, 2017, 4:17 PM - Re: Suicide Squad Deadshot Costume build #93

this is really handy since I'm going to make the rear holster out of foam initially and once I have ironed out any teething issues I will go to a final version made from plastic guttering and base layer it with 3mm foam and then a layer of then rubber to hopefully avoid movement on the back. I hate wearing rear harnesses and holsters any way so this might be a part of the project that I mount with industrial Velcro so I can remove it when it is itching or annoying me.
    I created a template for the rear holster but it's a "flat image", so once you mold it around your guns it actually takes on a different shape. Oops. But then I figured who is going to be taking a photo of my butt, so it's a minor thing. I used a layer of foam for the base, a "core" of some stiff card to reduce flex, then molded craft foam over the top. Since I'm only using light plastic toy guns the whole thing is really light weight, so I've just used some velcro to attach it to my tactical molle belt which is quite comfortable to wear.

Should not be much of a problem, just waiting for my mannequin to arrive in my size then I'm going to be working on the suicide deadshot. I'm thinking I am going to cut the foam using templates, glue them with some 2 inch strapping possibly since I want to maintain some flexibility between the chest armour and the abs.

Once my mannequin arrives I will start my Deadshot tactical vest build and take regular photo's of the build. I am Still looking for the template for the Deadshot vest armour, but I think I am going to use the vest pattern from the 1/6 action figure as a guide. I have posted the figure in my public profile album along with other items I will be using too.
    My apattern for the armour is taking a while trying to get it in proprtion for my 5ft9 height and 49chest is a bit awkward. I've done two pattern small scale.. then resized to 120% and 135% and each one is not accurate for my perspective and proportion. Think I m going to have to have the upper plates at about 130% and the lower plates around 115/120 - I reLLY DON'T WANT TO FREEHAND them again.. But might just prints will smith's off if i can get a nice front copy.. and then rescale as a last resort..
    Given my time and skill level I made the body armour out of a roll of garage floor foam as the base layer that the armour "plates" (9mm camp floor tile) were glued onto the top of. The foam already had the colour and texture I was going for so I didn't neat to paint it it, and it was flexible enough for me to get through the day. The individual pieces (front and back body armour, shoulder and arm pieces) was held together with nylon webbing of different sizes heat glued to the underside, then velco to put it all together.

For references in terms of creating design templates it was sometimes easier to use detailed shots of the Deadshot toy statue than it was movie stills as it had the front/side/back facing angles I was needing.

I made a little blog with a few WIP photos and lower resolution design templates I created - http://cybermike.id.au/deadshot-cosp...suicide-squad/

I've a Facebook Page with some additional photos of the project and me wearing it at a con - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=10d9d81ca4
  19. Member Since
    Sep 2016
    Apr 2, 2017, 8:54 AM - Re: Suicide Squad Deadshot Costume build #94

From
    Newcastle, Australia
    Apr 4, 2017, 4:46 PM - Re: Suicide Squad Deadshot Costume build #95

Cool thanks