Question re: Han Solo ANH costume source

Solo4114

Master Member
So, I'm gearing up for Halloween and thinking about maybe upgrading some of my Solo ANH outfit, which hasn't been updated since 1999 (and likely doesn't fit me as well anymore...).

Can anyone recommend a good source for stuff? I'd used Corellian Exports in the past, but don't know if they're still active. I've reached out to Indy Magnoli, but I was wondering if anyone knew of other sources?

Corellian Exports is still around though I only have their vest which is pretty nice and accurate for the price. Theres also Costumebase on ebay who is based in Asia but the quality seems to vary based on reviews I've read. Theres also Toods Costumes the price for his holster can't be beat, plus he offers great accurate looking boots, and a very accurate three hole belt to keep your pants up.

Personally I went with Magnoli for the ANH style shirt and pants and couldn't be happier having the shirt and pants made to measure was well worth the price and the items feel like they'll last for years.

Corellian Exports is still around though I only have their vest which is pretty nice and accurate for the price. Theres also Costumebase on ebay who is based in Asia but the quality seems to vary based on reviews I've read. Theres also Toods Costumes the price for his holster can't be beat, plus he offers great accurate looking boots, and a very accurate three hole belt to keep your pants up.

Personally I went with Magnoli for the ANH style shirt and pants and couldn't be happier having the shirt and pants made to measure was well worth the price and the items feel like they'll last for years.

Yeah, I'm in pretty good shape for the props themselves (blaster, belt). My boots are, I think, in decent shape, too. they're old soviet-era officer boots and while not 100% screen accurate, they get the job done. I'm really just in the market for the clothes themselves. I'm in touch with Magnoli, but was curious as to who else was out there. I'm steering clear of costumebase and Star Fortress, so no need to discuss them further. (that last bit was more for anyone else who reads the threat, not you, ItalianNinja86).

I also got the magnoli shirt, but although it's good quality, I feel that the fabric's not right. Mine is a cotton/linen plain weave, but it should be a cotton knit (t-shirt style). I heard that he changed it later on, but I haven't seen any pics. What kind of fabric is yours?

My current shirt is an older (c.2005) Corellian Exports shirt. It still fits fairly well, so I think I'm just gonna stick with that for a shirt this year. It's a fairly rough cotton, or maybe even linen, though, so I might upgrade in the future.

The old pants, however, don't fit, and I might get a new vest since the old one was just an adapted black BDU jacket, with no pockets on the back. It looks pretty good, but it's definitely not screen accurate. More screen "reminiscent."

I'm also currently using an old pair of Soviet officer boots, which are great on a budget, but are a little tight in the calves. I'm debating maybe upgrading those, too, but that might also be put off til next year or later.

If you're in good shape for the blaster, holsters, ect. and in the market for soft parts, do you think you could make them yourself?

I only suggest that because pickings for soft solos parts seem to either be really cheap and inaccurate, or magnoli (who has some inaccuracies) but is well made but darn expensive.

I'm wrapping up my 4th version of the Solo ANH vest. I'm hoping to make the patterns public soon with a tutorial on how everything is assembled. but probably not in time for halloween unfortunately :unsure

I got some great bloodstripes from a seller on ebay. something like friendofjoanne or something. Fast shipping, no hastles, great product for $25.

If you're in good shape for the blaster, holsters, ect. and in the market for soft parts, do you think you could make them yourself?

I only suggest that because pickings for soft solos parts seem to either be really cheap and inaccurate, or magnoli (who has some inaccuracies) but is well made but darn expensive.

I'm wrapping up my 4th version of the Solo ANH vest. I'm hoping to make the patterns public soon with a tutorial on how everything is assembled. but probably not in time for halloween unfortunately :unsure

I got some great bloodstripes from a seller on ebay. something like friendofjoanne or something. Fast shipping, no hastles, great product for $25.

I am nowhere near crafty enough to make the stuff myself. My wife's the crafty one. She might be able to handle sewing bloodstripes onto a pair of blue Dickies workpants or something, but I'd have to ask her. Honestly, I'd rather go with something like Magnoli for the pants and vest, which is likely what I'll end up doing. I might contact Todd for the boots or just use the ones I have. I'll have to measure the calf opening on my Soviet boots to see how that compares with the measurements Todd posts.

Todd's are pretty slim in the calves. I have 15 1/2 ish calves and theyre tight with the pants in there.

Hrm. That's...disappointing. I don't want to have to order a boot that's too big in the foot just to fit the calf, and I'm not prepared to pay $700 for made-to-measure boots.

A few people have purchased Todd's and gone to a cobbler to have them shimmed/stretched to fit their calves. If you have one around, that is certainly an option.

Look around for a tack shop in your area too. You can get some rubber ones (they look pretty darn good tbh) for like 80 usually.

Well, I still have the Soviet boots, so I don't need the rubber ones. The idea would be to upgrade, not "sidegrade." ;)

I hope you don't mind me hijacking your post, Solo4114.

I'm working on a Solo ANH costume this year and I'm looking for advice on the best place to get the vest. I think I've got a handle on all the other clothing. I've checked Amazon and Ebay and they just aren't quite right. Mostly, they are too large and long. I don't want to break the bank on it, but I've budgeted that the vest, holster and blaster are the most important to get right.

I also need the gunbelt/holster, but I'm hanging my hopes on Anovos shipping belts this month or next. I like that theirs is adjustable, convertable and has all the tools.

I hope you don't mind me hijacking your post, Solo4114.

I'm working on a Solo ANH costume this year and I'm looking for advice on the best place to get the vest. I think I've got a handle on all the other clothing. I've checked Amazon and Ebay and they just aren't quite right. Mostly, they are too large and long. I don't want to break the bank on it, but I've budgeted that the vest, holster and blaster are the most important to get right.

I also need the gunbelt/holster, but I'm hanging my hopes on Anovos shipping belts this month or next. I like that theirs is adjustable, convertable and has all the tools.

Given that my original post is not quite 2 years old at this point....I think I can let the hijacking slide. ;)

Solo, the prototype should be ready any day now. We should have it added to the site in the next week or two. You can wait for it to be added, or shoot us an e-mail to order directly if you need it sooner.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back