ANH Princess Leia Portrait Bust Sculpt

MasterEdi

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So I've been wanting to begin this for a long time... At Celebration 7 I had the wonderful privilege of meeting Brandon Alinger (the Big Honcho Himself) and picking up his absolutely Awesome Book Star Wars Costumes! .... If you are a SW fan, on this site, and don't have a copy of this book.... WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!?!? Lol, JK! (Well, sorta)
image.jpg
... Needless to say it is Amazing! ... But ever since I have had it, I have been mesmerized by the photo on the cover.
I couldn't find a footnote of who the Photographer is, but it is truly such an iconic shot of Leia. One that I can't seem to take my eyes off of.
... So with a great bit of trepidation, and with a deep breath , I am going to attempt a portrait sculpt loosely, I repeat, Loosely! based on this iconic representation.
I may fall flat on my face on this one, we will see...

... Since it is also encouraged to share how you go about things, I'm going to post a few picks of how I start out a portrait sculpt.
First supplies.... I begin with everything you see here, picked up at any Home Depot and Walmart.
image.jpg

Melamine board
1/2" phalange
12" long 1/2" pipe
Screws and screwdriver
steel wire
duct tape
aluminum foil
Pliers

I can't wait to see how you go, it is a stunning photo, and I bought the book upon release, well worth it!
...stay tuned you will see how it begins...

Next, pretty straight forward...
image.jpgimage.jpg
Screw down the phalange.... then screw in the pipe.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Bend be your wire, slide into pipe, tape it in... There you go, a cheap way to build a portrait armature.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

For this peice, I'm going to bend my wire a bit, then bulk up my form with heavy duty foil. It's cheap, and it acts a lot like clay the way you can mash it and shape it.

image.jpgimage.jpg

I usually heat up my clay first in a oven or microwave. Time varies depending on the type of clay you use. This is only for oil/waxed based clays

Last edited:
image.jpg

As I sculpt, I use the foil wherever I need lots of mass. This saves on weight, and the amount of clay I end up using. For this particular sculpt, it's about 3/4 scale, so I'm going to end up needing about 14 lbs of clay.

Last edited:
Wow. Based on the emphasis you placed on loosely based I wasn't expecting this incredible sculpt. My jaw actually dropped when scrolling from the initial clay ball on the armature to seeing your initial face sculpt. Amazing work and cool use of the tin foil for structure and volume!

How cool is that!? That's really awesome! Can't wait to see the finished piece. Once it's done, you have to find a way to get a picture of it to Carrie Fisher.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back