Question: Want to start air brushing, what do I start with?

Mclabop

An airbrush and compressor obvi... but for the beginner, what should I look for, avoid, consider price wise?

I am aware that with $$ comes quality, durability, larger tank, etc. But since I'm learning I figured affordable (not necessarily cheap) is better given I wouldn't know how to mess with various settings that higher priced models might have. But not sure which of those features etc would be the best bang for the learner's buck.

I'm will be using it for painting small models, sculptures, and latex appliques.

- Thanks

I understand the feeling like you should buy cheap because you're a beginner, but that is absolutely not what to do when it comes to airbrushes. Cheaper guns are prone to failing and generally just don't perform well. You don't want think you're having user issues when it's just the gun itself underperforming.

There are two types of airbrush, single action and duel action. I personally prefer dual action, but it is a little more expensive. The difference between dual action and single action is a single action has one button. You push it and air and paint come out.
A dual action has a button that can be pressed down and pulled back. Pressing down dictates how much air flows, and pulling the button back dictates how much paint flows. You can go from a fine hair line to a giant spray in seconds, where you have to manually adjust the single action each and every time you want to change the line.

I use a dual action for almost everything. I have been using the same Iwata Eclipse airbrush for about 6 or 7 years. Calling it a workhorse is an understatement. It has been used to paint everything I've ever painted.. from model kits, to makeup, to masks and busts.. it's seen it all and it's still as good as the day I bought it.

I can't recommend the Eclipse enough.

I use a dual action for almost everything. I have been using the same Iwata Eclipse airbrush for about 6 or 7 years. Calling it a workhorse is an understatement. It has been used to paint everything I've ever painted.. from model kits, to makeup, to masks and busts.. it's seen it all and it's still as good as the day I bought it.

Not just mold making, now I need to hound you to figure out how to use my Eclipse! It performs poorly, and I'm certain it's "user error". :D

Regarding compressors, I'd recommend something larger than the little "airbrush compressors". They work okay, but if you're going to be doing much of this, you'll likely be buying something different before too long. I started with one of those little things, and it's only good for really small jobs. But for anything that takes more than just a few minutes, they don't perform that well. The problem is that they run almost constantly, which produces a lot of condensation build up, and the water trap on most of them doesn't work well. Even with a filter on my line, I would still get condensation build up, shooting out and screwing up my paint.

Now I just use my regular pancake compressor, with an inline regulator, and filter.

I started with a 3 gallon compressor I got for Sear's for around $100. It worked great, and you can use it with other tools besides an airbrush. As far as air brushes go, I have an Iwata Eclipse, like Mr. Mold Maker, and love it much. It is a work horse and can use it for pretty much any project. I also have an Paasche H. This bad boy I use for spraying heavier materials, like encapsulation, or PAX paint, and it is also a work horse. I think you can get those for $50 on Amazon.

I understand the feeling like you should buy cheap because you're a beginner, but that is absolutely not what to do when it comes to airbrushes. Cheaper guns are prone to failing and generally just don't perform well. You don't want think you're having user issues when it's just the gun itself underperforming.

There are two types of airbrush, single action and duel action. I personally prefer dual action, but it is a little more expensive. The difference between dual action and single action is a single action has one button. You push it and air and paint come out.
A dual action has a button that can be pressed down and pulled back. Pressing down dictates how much air flows, and pulling the button back dictates how much paint flows. You can go from a fine hair line to a giant spray in seconds, where you have to manually adjust the single action each and every time you want to change the line.

Thanks for the response all. I totally get buying quality, which is why I asked here but also why I lean towards affordable instead of cheap. I'd rather buy something decent that lasts than replace it constantly. That said, there's lots of overpriced stuff out there and those are what I want to avoid. Just want to be right in that affordable/quality sweet spot ;)

I found an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS 0.3mm for $95, instead of about $140 retail. Is this correct? http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANEST-IWATA...e-Japan-NEW-/171439134818?hash=item27ea919862

I've got a 5 gal compressor, it's just super loud since it's a cheapo garage special and I want to replace that as well. So I want to get something quieter that can be used indoors (with proper ventilation of course). Esp since I don't have a garage after my latest move.

Looking at the link ultraman shared, it looks like it has a compressor only and no tank...? Am I reading that wrong? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Airbrush-Ki...bby-T-Shirt-/271999168721?hash=item3f5469f0d1

I am not sure ANEST IWATA is genuine IWATA,...as far as i know genuine iwata is called IWATA MEDEA.
I have an iwata hp-c+ and a micron and 2 paasches bottom feed and several different sizes needles/nozzles for years and they are doing everything they were ment to do without any problems.
My compressor of choice is a SIL-AIR 30,..sillent like a refrigerator..so i can airbrush 24/7,plenty of tank-content and most important an even flow of air pressure.
No overheating the motor because of the large tank and almost no maintenance if you keep it dust free and check the oil level and clean the tank every now and then.
This set wasn't the cheapest of the cheapest but,....i can tell you i haven't had any problems with it for the 8 years i have been using it.
I went through many "cheap" airbrush/compressor sets and allways ended up with mediocre results airbrush wise and apparel mallfunctions.
After spending to much cash on the cheaper tools with so so results i decided it had enough of it and saved up to buy quallity stuff.
I never regretted this decission.
The +/-$700(the iwata micron and paashes not included) i invested has paid itself back in spades.
No more frustations about mallfunctions caused by overheating compressor or waiting for it to cool down,no more uneven airpressure,no more paint waist caused by ruining paintwork due to splatters/oildrops/airpressure drops/rises.
My advise is to invest in a sound compressor first thing,..any airbrush(paashe/badger/iwata/devillbis to name a few or any other known brand of the middle and higher price class will do it's job just fine(check for replacement needles/part availlability though)
If you love to airbrush,..and i know you will after using it a few times you won;t regret all that money invested in your tools.
If you are somewhat like me you probably start taking care of them a little better since this time it is a "valuable set"you worked your ass off for,so cleaning your airbrush and looking after your compressor will become a routine in no time.
You probably start to take airbrushing more seriously and start to learn a few tricks or more in no time:):)
SO my advise is to pass on the "low end stuff"and take you time to ask yourself why you think you need an airbrush in the first place and if you do need one,..what do you want the airbrush to do for you.
Then go and investigate the model(s) you need for that specific job.
Check the internet for your and other peoples favourite airbrush art/artists/users and try not to restrict yourself to model building sites only.
Go find out which type and/or brand these people use or was used on a piece of art .
Go check these airbrushes out.
During this research you probably will learn many different uses for an airbrush ,tips and tricks,..so you are ahead of the game:): time well spent.
Also start comparing all the renomated brands,don't think about budget at all,looking is free right!? and in the meantime ,say a couple of months,..start saving as much money you can and just buy the tool you need that meets your purpose
Do invest in your hobby/art seriously.
I hope this helps.
Good luck

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back