question: what is starfield looking effect in Greedo eyes?

rogue_artist

Hello,

One more quick question please? How was the starfield glittery effect in Greedo's eyes achieved please? I like that look, the large dark orb with glittering effect deep inside. I would like to try that on one of my projects.

Thank you again everyone,
-Jason

I have seen a few different Greedo eyes but they all look to have pretty much the same style.

What I'd suggest doing is vacuum form your domes out of clear plastic, mist in your colors, (less is more here) and follow it up with a dark tint. You could even use a chip brush and spatter the colors in for a bolder effect.

Just looking at a few pics off google, I'd suggest a silver, light purple, dark purple, and then the black tint.

The other one I had seen was more of a mesh pattern, and to do that you'd lay the mesh in, mist your colors, remove the mesh, then do your dark tint. It gives a silver sparkly look to the whole eye, except for the dark mesh.

I'm not sure if this is exactly how they did it, but the results are virtually the same. Have fun trying it, and good luck on your project!

Last edited:
Thats a very good idea! Might there be two domes by chance in there? One dome with the starfield painted on and then the outter dome with the tint? A couple ideas Im working with is:
metallic window tint. Chip off pieces to create the sparkles. (am I allowed to say sparkles and still keep my man card? LOL)
Translucent film used for gift packaging that already has the sparkling on a clear film
Painting it on, as you suggest

I dunno. Its a winter project, Im just trying to amass as much information as I possibly can. I read an interview some ten years ago or so from a fellow who actually worked on the origional masks and hands. But he did not specifically say about the details in the eye orbs.
http://netdwellers.com/mz/SWblog/St...2009/6/30_Greedo_-_the_alien_makeover....html

OK, official word from Nick Maley who helped on construction of Greedo masks way back in the 70's.....

That "Starfield effect" is not intentional. It is a screen mesh sandwiched between two plastic hemispheres. Its the stage lights (several of them) at different distances, causing it to look that way.

Huh! Ill be darned!! I like that effect! I wish it was intentional.
ah well.....

OK, official word from Nick Maley who helped on construction of Greedo masks way back in the 70's.....

That "Starfield effect" is not intentional. It is a screen mesh sandwiched between two plastic hemispheres. Its the stage lights (several of them) at different distances, causing it to look that way.

Huh! Ill be darned!! I like that effect! I wish it was intentional.
ah well.....

Ha. That's funny! I noticed the mesh in one pair of eyes like I said and thought they had just painted it in there. :lol

If you want that iconic look I'd still go with what I suggested, but the screen mesh is certainly a cool way to go about it!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back