How do I safely remove paint from Plexiglass once it has dried?

Egon Spengler

Master Member
How do I safely remove paint from Plexiglass once it has dried?

I'd like to get the paint removed from the plexiglass without clouding it up too much.

How can I go about doing this?

Thank you,

DLV

I actually used several different types of paint.

I sprayed it with metallic, with transparent candy apple red, and with other paints I don't remember what type. Just spray paint.

:-/

Most of the nasty chemicals will cloud it up. I usually paint over all my plastics/plexiglass, so it's not a problem for me.

I'm not expecting a clear glass result, but I'd like to be able to, just for a example of clarity quality, see slightly blurred objects through it. A little cloudiness is fine. A little, not a lot. I wouldn't want it to end up like frosted glass or something.

most of those are either enamels or lacquers. try some mineral spirits on a rag. if the color comes up, you've got enamels. I'm not sure what will take off lacquers, maybe mineral spirits will work on that as well.

Either way, wash away the paints with the mineral spirits. Once you've gotten all the paint off, the plexi is going to be foggy - nothing you can do about that. Pick up some novus plastic polish (you can usually pick it up at a hardware or auto parts store). With enough buffing, you should be able to get it usable. Depending on the size of the piece of plexi, you can either dip it in a bowl of Future floor wax or brush it on. Future is self leveling, so you won't have to worry about brush marks. Future is good at filling in micro scratches and fixing up hazing. Get the Future on there and then cover the piece under a container or something while the future dries so you don't end up with dust in the finish. It'll be fully cured in 24-36 hours.

-Fred

Elbow Grease. Just about any chemical out there will affect the finish of the Plexi. Sanding, of course, will really do a number on it. I've had success in the past with a product by PollyS called Easy Lift Off. It's a paint stripper, but it hasn't affected the styrene kits I've used it on. It will remove enamels (especially the 1960's caked on enamel look that we did as kids to our Aurora monsters).

Spread a little on, let it sit overnight. The surface paint should wrinkle. Then use an old toothbrush dipped in the stuff to bruch the paint off. Since it's clear plex, I'm assuming it's somewhat flat. After you're done with that, you may have to go in with some very fine (like 10,000 grit) sandpaper and do a wet sand on the surface, followed by some plastic rubbing compound (also very fine), followed by some plastic polish.

That should restore it so it looks shiny, if not completely water clear.

Gene

A little acetone on a rag will take the paint off but leave it cloudy, so give it a polish with T-cut to restore a great clarity.:)

you could also try brake fluid. eats through paint but usually doesn't cause any harm to styrene. Not sure what the effect on plexi would be, but you try some on a piece of scrap.

I've also heard the Easy-Off oven cleaner would work as well.

-Fred

I appreciate all the help everyone. :) I decided to take a chance and try some nail polish remover. It's a generic "non-acetone" kind thats supposed to be gentle on your fingers. LOL It worked great. Just soaked a rag in it and let it sit on the surface for a while, then wiped the paint away. Had to do a little bit of scrubbing but it worked and the plexi-glass didn't fog up :)

I figured I'd try it on one spot and if it fogged in just that one area I'd be okay with it. Turns out it didn't fog up at all :)

Again, I appreciate everyones willingness to help and thank you for your kindness :)

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back