Functioning Mr. Meeseeks box - Rick and Morty

zenix

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Fine, I stretched the truth a little bit in the title. It'll function in the sense that the box will play Mr. Meeseeks audio when the lit up button is pressed. Mr Meeseeks will not appear.

Here's my build thread:

I'll be lasercutting the darker pieces shown here from 1/4" birch plywood, and will cut the lighter pieces from 1/8" wood. They'll then be painted and assembled.

I have a button and sound module to install once that's complete.

meseeks pic1.PNG
I started by taking a few screen grabs to get some good angles. Animation works differently that live action, so naturally each shot of the box won't show exactly the same proportions, but I came up with a design I was happy with.
meseeks pic2.PNG
To produce the box, it'll be made from flat sheets of material, so I've laid out each of the six faces to cut. It'll be made of layers of different materials, so there's 12 squares, two for each face. The bottom will have holes for sound to escape from the speaker, and the top has a big hole for the button.
meseeks pic3.PNGmeseeks pic4.PNG
Once I cut the parts, I'll paint them, and then fold them up and assemble them like this.
meseeks pic5.PNGmeseeks pic6.PNGmeseeks pic7.PNG

Thanks! I'm gonna get started on production of a couple for me and two of my friends today. Look at me! The buttons and electronic sound modules won't be here til next week.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Oh, man, that sounds awesome. This is going to be great.

Electronics are waaayyy outside my wheelhouse. I have an Elenco 130-in-1 Electronic Playground for ages 10+. I was hoping that it would help demystify electronics by introducing me to the most rudimentary aspects, but simply owning it isn't enough, unfortunately, so one day I will have to actually sit down with it and get my learn on.

Look at me! I'm still waiting on the button, and I'm not 100% happy with the colors yet, but I just used what I had in the shop.

uploadfromtaptalk1443132836294.jpguploadfromtaptalk1443132862349.jpguploadfromtaptalk1443132887862.jpg

That is looking magnificent! Look at me! How big is it? It's hard to judge the scale from the picture.

Here's a Meeseeks box screen grab from the Mr. Meeseeks website for color reference:

Meeseeks Box.JPG

Would you believe that before I grabbed this, I thought the button was red?

I've got several screen grabs. I don't like this picture, it seems different than the ones from the show. Buttons and electronics came today!

Woohoo!

I see what you mean about the color. My screen grab looks a little desaturated and a little tinted, compared to some from the show.

In one frame, when Jerry's holding it, the side looks black. When Rick's holding it, it looks like a deep shade of turquoise.

I digress. I'm sure whatever you do will be outstanding. I'm looking forward to an update.

Haha! Oh, it's magnificent!

That button is spot on. Very well done, sir. I've enjoyed you WIP very much. Thank you :)

Sound module works! I loaded a few Meeseeks voice clips. I gotta wire it to the big button, increase the volume, and adjust my colors.

Those colors look great. It's cool to see the speaker wired up. Are you self-taught in electronics?

I have a mechanical engineering degree but this is pretty simple off the shelf stuff I'm just connecting. The sound module to the arcade button, adding the snap-on battery harness for the lights. Someone at your local hackerspace will show you how to solder.

Here's the final piece! It talks, lights up, and the colors are perfect!

uploadfromtaptalk1443724821076.jpg

"I'm a bit of a stickler Meeseeks..." Ahahaha! That is awesome. Those colors are perfect.

You picked great samples. I am cracking up.

Thanks! Here's some pics of me soldering, gluing, cutting and stuff. all done with building! I'll start an INT thread

lights out meeseks.pngIMG_20151001_133651778.jpgIMG_20151001_113907669.jpgIMG_20150930_213403486.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back