Robot Jinx from Spacecamp

I am an ambassador to the public for the real space camp and have spent a lot of time walking around the location, taking notes from people who were there during the filming (for example, the girl's HAB scenes with the bunks were is now the main dining area for campers) and nobody seems to know what happened to the robot mockups, only that there were several of them made. It's amazing how little material from the film remains in the collection of the US Space and Rocket Center (where most of the camps scenes were filmed).
A flightsuit from the movie recently turned up on eBay and went for very little, which to me suggests few people are collecting anything from a movie that most people my age saw new in the theaters. Yeah, it might have bombed in the box office, but I don't know how because everyone I knew in school at the time went to see it.
I did score this not long ago, a production-made patch!
SCmovie.jpg

You would think NASA would have set up a display and gotten things from the studio back then even just to promote the thing during the 80s.

NASA contributed very little, other than letting the Atlantis FRF get filmed.
Most of the movie was filmed in a studio or at Space Camp, which is actually owned and run by the State of Alabama.

I interned at Van der Veer Photo Effects in the late-80's and they still had the Brick Price-built Space Shuttle used in "Space Camp". I believe the scale was somewhere around 1/18 based on what looked like action figures in the cockpit. It was a beautiful model and sticks out in my mind. After VdVPE shut down, I'm presuming it went to back to Brick Price.

Gene

There was a celebration of the movie at the real Space Camp recently and the subject of the robot came up. It was officially recognized that nobody has a clue what happened to it, but that it's a goal of the facility in Huntsville to get it for their collection and display if it ever gets located.
My money is one it going into a dumpster. We all know that it was common to toss props once the filming was done.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back