The Saint <> Simon Templar's Knife

Jintosh

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Knife pic 2.jpg

I saw this knife in another thread and decided to give it a shot. As usual, I'll be using Shapeways, so I am at their mercy for physical requirements.
The blade will be done in Rhodium plated brass. It'll have that nice chrome finish, but you won't be able to sharpen it further without going through the plating. The case will be in Ultra Detail Acrylic and painted accordingly. The case is in 2 parts and just like the movie prop will have a hinge so that the case opens to reveal an internal secret compartment. Lock picks are NOT included. :lol

The only close hinge I could find is in Asia somewhere, so my design is basically on hold untill I get the hinge. The two halves of the knife will be held together by a magnet(s).

Once I get a working model, I'll put up a limited run in Project Runs.

Last edited:
Re: The Saint ---------------------------- Simon Templar's Knife

The original looked like it was gold plated on parts the case, I assume that that would be impossible to do using Shapeways?

jiom6p.jpg

hmm....I have many of the pictures to work from, but it is definitely silver and black. Any gold color would be a trick of the light.
*(or one of the SIX prop knives they used was slightly different. ) Since they're all SUPPOSED to be the same knife, I'll be doing black and silver.

Oh sorry I was just meaning will any of the case be done in metal? The pic above looks like a polished metal finish?

Ah. Yes. Metal.

The blade should absolutely be done in metal. There's no way around that. Doing the case in metal would be super cool, but it would cost almost $200 just for the case to do it in the chrome-like finish. I can certainly offer that as an option if someone really wants it. That is one of the good sides of Shapeways.

As painting is not my specialty, I will also offer it as a unpainted kit. As the bulk of the work is done by Shapeways, I may just make it an unlimited run. Since it's not a major prop, interest may be sporadic.

What about the gadget aspect of the knife?

Camera
Saint-knife-sc03.jpgSaint-knife-sc04.jpgSaint-knife-sc05.jpg

and the alphabet inside, lock pics, screwdrivers?

Saint-knife-sc07.jpgSaint-knife-sc08.jpgSaint-knife-sc09.jpgSaint-knife-sc10.jpg

These details are what makes it a truly memorable prop for me.

What about the gadget aspect of the knife?

Camera
View attachment 531289View attachment 531290View attachment 531291

and the alphabet inside, lock pics, screwdrivers?

View attachment 531292View attachment 531293View attachment 531294View attachment 531295

These details are what makes it a truly memorable prop for me.

Thanks for the pics.

The camera is not really an option for me. And lock picks are a legal issue. These options are cool, but I just can't do them. Sorry. :cry

Are you able to do the inside details without the lock pics?

Are you able to do the inside details without the lock pics?

I had originally planned to just use a sticker for the inside detail. But.....with these great pictures treeman provided, I may try SOME of the inside detail. Ultimately, this is still a PARTIALLY functional prop. They had SIX prop knives on the show because it is physically impossible to actually make it do all the stuff they do with a SINGLE knife.

I also just realized that my knife blade (not done yet) will open and close, but because there's no moving locking parts, it will NOT lock into the open position. :(

hmmm....I also just noticed that the knife they're using for this INSIDE lock pick close up shot has a different HINGE than the other prop knives that I have pictures of. Further evidence that the SIX knives they used have fundamental physical differences.

Last edited:

Can't wait to see what you come up with! I've wanted one of these since I first saw the movie. I thought it was kinda cool how it shows it when he was a kid in its wooden form at the orphanage. A functional knife blade would be cool but that seems like it wouldn't be an option for Shapeways. Are those little circles on the left supposed to be the magnets that hold the knife together?

Are those little circles on the left supposed to be the magnets that hold the knife together?

There's four on one side and one on the other.....that wouldn't make sense for magnets. But then again, I can't imagine what they ARE for. Something with the camera I suppose. And the other side has a LCD screen, so maybe some kind of batteries.

Last edited:

It will probably be a while before I post more info, still waiting for parts from China.

Last edited:

The blade doesn't close all the way, but I can fix that. I made my own hinges as part of the design.

It might need to be a bit wider. (???)

Last edited by a moderator:

Very well done! Great movie and great prop!

Rob

Sent from [location encrypted]...somewhere on the Tharkside of Barsoom ;)

Thats awesome! When do you think thats going to be in the project run section? Cant wait!

Thats awesome! When do you think thats going to be in the project run section? Cant wait!

That would be the downside of Shapeways, I'll need one more prototype to work out the blade clearance. And then it should be ready for a final knife.
I have to wait for Shapeways to make them and send them to me. :)

New prototype sent to Shapeways. Just waiting.:rolleyes

Very cool! I would like to see how it turns out!

So how does that work since parts of the handle are Black? If we bought the metal version would we just have to go back and paint the Black on or can you order it that way from Shapeways?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back