20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

If Singer is involved I give it a 40 percent chance of being good. I agree though, there's no need to keep doing this movie over and over. Verne had a lot of other stories out that would be good original movies. He even wrote one that was published after his death (i think) that predicted email and the internet when telegraphs were cutting edge. It would be good for this day and age as it's about a man who is the last in his profession and obsolete in the high tech world.

I have a seriously hard time believing anyone could top the design of Harper Goff's Nautilus. I tried back in college. Came up with something neat, but it really just was a modified Goff...

They have been saying for several years that BS was going to remake it.
Several directors before him as well,

Still hasn't happened and I hope in never does.

Don't mess with perfection.
Nothing beats Goff's boat.

Ok, so The Jungle Book and now this. Looks like Disney is remaking its top properties for today's young audience with CGI and new actors, unless the whole thing is CGI and no actors at all. Maybe they'll just CGI the old boat and we'll see it again as well.

Disney isn't behind the proposed Singer remake, Fox is. David Fincher had been onboard to direct a remake for Disney but the studio pulled the plug when they got nervous about the budget (The Girl With the Dagon Tattoo was an expensive bomb, and the failure of both John Carter and The Lone Ranger probably didn't help matters).

This Singer announcement smells fishy, pun intended. He's probably testing the waters to see how much clout he has at Fox given his X-Men record. I'm sure the studio would like to keep him happy, but a big budget, steampunky, Bryan Singer vanity project has creative and commercial disaster written all over it. Yes, this is the same studio that green-lit this summer's Fantastic 4 stinker, but there's a new co-chairman at Fox, and she's not going to risk her job just to get on Bryan Singer's good side.

One thing is certain: FX-friendly Public Domain properties with familiar, pre-sold titles are coin of the realm in Hollywood these days. A remake of "20,000 Leagues" is inevitable. Just about every studio in town has their own Nemo project in development. It's just a question of which version will get the go-ahead first.

Hard to beat Disney's version as well no way they come up with a better Nautilus design.

nautilus%20008.jpg

Nothing will ever beat the Classic!

Goff, Mason, Douglas, Lorre, Lukas, Fleischer, PERFECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Disney/ Goff Nautilus is like the George Pal/ Wah Chang Time Machine. No, you can't top the original design... but as the 2003 DreamWorks version of "The Time Machine" demonstrates: even a terrible movie can feature an imaginative re-imagining of a classic concept.

The Disney Nautilus was one of the most perfect pieces of steampunk ever done.

Any remake will inevitably change it. Hey, it needs to be "bigger" for a modern movie, right? Doesn't everything?

I'm sure the entire world will somehow end up in jeopardy too. It happens several times each summer now.

The Disney/ Goff Nautilus is like the George Pal/ Wah Chang Time Machine. No, you can't top the original design... but as the 2003 DreamWorks version of "The Time Machine" demonstrates: even a terrible movie can feature an imaginative re-imagining of a classic concept.

That movie annoys me as Wells' own family member directed it and made it terrible, it could have been really good as the concepts were nice and a bit of a change from the rest but meh. Nemo does appear in later stuff that Verne wrote so they could just go that route and follow the natural storylines that flowed but you know that won't happen.

All Verne tells us about Nemo (in Mysterious Island) is that he was an Indian prince named Dakkar who took up arms against the Raj, eventually becoming a renegade. The details re: how he subsequently wound up behind the wheel of the Nautilus are vague. Disney's screenwriters brought a lot to the party in `54. Vulcania, Rorapandi, the death of Nemo's family, the "prison escape" story structure, the interplay between Nemo, Ned Land, Conciel and Arronax... all Disney. If one were starting from scratch with a prequel/ sequel its a pretty blank slate, at least as far as Verne is concerned. Interestingly, Verne's original intention was for Nemo to be a Russian who ran afoul of the British during the Crimean War. Verne's publisher, Hetzel, took issue with this owing to France's dodgy relations with both England and Russia at the time. Verne, pissed off by what he deemed to be censorship, decided to keep Nemo's backstory a mystery. It was not until Mysterious Island was published several years later that we are told of Nemo's Indian backstory. The irony is, it was Nemo's mysterious origins in the original novel that gave the character his power (kinda like Vader in the original Star Wars). Sometimes the more you reveal about a character the less interesting he becomes (note to Bryan Singer).

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back