Malcolm Reynolds Pistol 3D modelling for Funzees :)

Look what I picked up from the printer yesterday:

IMG_0332_zps63mttou7.jpg

IMG_0333_zpsqj4zt1gu.jpg

IMG_0334_zpsidtfx7tn.jpg

IMG_0335_zps2kv8syaz.jpg

IMG_0336_zpstvj4hcjy.jpg

IMG_0337_zps9zfehtan.jpg

IMG_0338_zpspenohszg.jpg

IMG_0339_zpsx1snnqmr.jpg

The pieces all fit like a dream, only problem is that a normal 9V battery does not fit in the battery compartment.

Here's all the pieces separated.
IMG_0340_zpslxaapey6.jpg

Now I need to find me a cheapy set of walkies to gut.

Apparently it's a difficult print according to my print guy, due to the thin walls but it's just beautiful to me.

Awesome as always! Would love to see some screen caps of your workflow or a description of your design approach (programs and general approach).

Great work.

Mal did check the magazine on the pistol in the pilot of the show, and in the movie we see him load the gun, including sliding a bullet into the magazine. I believe they used a 38 special or 357 dummy round.

Awesome as always! Would love to see some screen caps of your workflow or a description of your design approach (programs and general approach).

Great work.

Sorry for the late reply, I will try to remember to take a few screenshots next time I have the files open. I use Solidworks to do my modeling. And I model in a component approach. This means, I try to identify individual components as pieces and build and assemble them to fit together. Alternatively, one could model the piece as one large chunk and then split it later.

I prefer an assembly piece.

I agree, as the assembled stuff looks "real." I have been fiddling with Solidworks for a few years now. I have no actual training, but I find the program works great for clear modeling. I just started to import solid works base models into zbrush for more organic touches. I am curious to know how you went about the grip design in SW, as it has a very natural feel.

I agree, as the assembled stuff looks "real." I have been fiddling with Solidworks for a few years now. I have no actual training, but I find the program works great for clear modeling. I just started to import solid works base models into zbrush for more organic touches. I am curious to know how you went about the grip design in SW, as it has a very natural feel.

I just happen to have a screenshot of that one ready. It was a series of loft sketches on different angled planes, and 2 guide curves on the outside edges:
Grip%20Sketches_zpsajt5zbnr.jpg

The top area was a straight extrude cut after. This is how I've been modelling my grips to give myself more control on the shape as the grip continues. Still not perfect, but decent.

Nicely done! I am always impressed with the many ways a problems can be solved in SW. For some reason, I do my best to avoid lofts. I will have to get over that.

Just saw this post and I was wondering just how much on average it would cost to get these files printed???? Thanks for any information forthcoming!!!

Just saw this post and I was wondering just how much on average it would cost to get these files printed???? Thanks for any information forthcoming!!!

That can vary alot between printing services, and what you might have available. I would say between $60 and $100 for the pistol.

Thanks for information!! Now I just have to find such and hopefully they are "local" and reasonable!!!! One last question it didn't seem like you had a lot of prep-work for your parts in comparison to some I have seen. Was this the printer that was used or your files??? I ask because I only have limited experience with 3D printed parts (Shapeways and a few Ebay purchases; the later being a tad rough). Thanks Again!!!!

Thanks for information!! Now I just have to find such and hopefully they are "local" and reasonable!!!! One last question it didn't seem like you had a lot of prep-work for your parts in comparison to some I have seen. Was this the printer that was used or your files??? I ask because I only have limited experience with 3D printed parts (Shapeways and a few Ebay purchases; the later being a tad rough). Thanks Again!!!!

Try 3D hubs,

and yes it will require some prep normally. I was told that the pegs and hole tolerance was very tight. My 3D printing guy printed them at 100-150 microns which is finer than usual, so they fit together better. But if the resolution is lower, they will be tighter and require sanding. Like all 3D prints though, a degree of sanding and filling is normal.

Hello quick question . Are your STl files in "mm" or in "inches" ??? Thank You!!

My files are in mm. I think the generally accepted units for models is mm to make the layer height a nicer number as 1 mm is 0.039" which doesn't really roll off the tongue, lol.

Excellent work! I already have the QMX replica but it's a little fragile to let my nephew play with (found that out the hard way!). Now I can print one he can drop all he wants!

Thank you for your generosity in sharing the files!

Excellent work! I already have the QMX replica but it's a little fragile to let my nephew play with (found that out the hard way!). Now I can print one he can drop all he wants!

Thank you for your generosity in sharing the files!

No problem, enjoy.

Hello Monkey 540 !!! So I threw your files into the "my models" section of Shapeways to see about pricing and the following came up as a measurement of your Barrel part;

Cm:11.31 x / 1.77 y / 1.77 z

In:4.453 x / 0.697 y / 0.697 z

Is this correct??? Thank You!!!

Last edited:
Hello Monkey 540 !!! So I threw your files into my models section of Shapeways to see about pricing and the following came up as a measurement of your Barrel part;

Cm:11.31 x / 1.77 y / 1.77 z

In:4.453 x / 0.697 y / 0.697 z

Is this correct??? Thank You!!!

Yup, that is correct.

But be careful with shapeways, they charge you for the void space, most "home" printing services only charge for material and/or time.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back