Luke and Vader's ANH screen used lightsabers at EMP in Seattle!

niennumb1

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Aside from the Star Wars costume exhibit running right now at EMP, there's a new Sci-Fi history area that opened not too long ago. I believe most all pieces are owned by the Paul Allen family. Included in this exhibit was a screen used Jawa costume, the Greedo mask and hands.... and then this blew my mind.... Literally a pane of glass separating myself and the original screen used lightsaber hilts used in A New Hope by Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader:

vader77saber.jpgluke77saber.jpg

Seriously.... Out of any place in the entire world, here they are sitting right in front of my face in a Seattle pop culture film and music museum on display. How cool is this?!

Thats cool indeed. Thanks for posting. Fascinating how many cool SW props are in the possession of the Allen family. They also own the original ESB Stunt Vader helmet (fencing mask).:thumbsup

It would be great to get a pic of the graflex ( G R A F L E X ) stamp in the back to identify that flashgun (Folmer, New York , N.Y. ?)

Yea, sorry to pop a bubble, these aren't screen used pieces. Far from, the first isn't an MPP and the graflex doesn't match either (the original may have been used to cobble the ESB together)

Yea, sorry to pop a bubble, these aren't screen used pieces. Far from, the first isn't an MPP and the graflex doesn't match either (the original may have been used to cobble the ESB together)

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to unconditionally call them fakes. They came from Gary Kurtz's collection (the producer of SW and ESB), Which would normally be pretty solid provenance for a prop. The problem with them is that the DV ESB saber doesn't match anything we can see clearly in the film, and the t-track and d-ring on the ANH doesn't match the more commonly seen stuff. However, some Lucasfilm sabers do have t-track with this weird square profile, so who knows when these were made and if they ever were used on set. But, the same could be said for other props like the Ranch ESB saber, the graflex based DV ROTJ saber, the Shared Stunt Luke ROTJ saber, the Barbican saber, etc. Unilaterally declaring them fakes or tour suit sabers is just speculation. We actually just don't know one way or another

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to unconditionally call them fakes. They came from Gary Kurtz's collection (the producer of SW and ESB), Which would normally be pretty solid provenance for a prop. The problem with them is that the DV ESB saber doesn't match anything we can see clearly in the film, and the t-track and d-ring on the ANH doesn't match the more commonly seen stuff. However, some Lucasfilm sabers do have t-track with this weird square profile, so who knows when these were made and if they ever were used on set. But, the same could be said for other props like the Ranch ESB saber, the graflex based DV ROTJ saber, the Shared Stunt Luke ROTJ saber, the Barbican saber, etc. Unilaterally declaring them fakes or tour suit sabers is just speculation. We actually just don't know one way or another

Thanks for clarifying Dan. You're right, although we do have evidence of the ROTJ Vader saber on set as well as the Shared Stunt ;)

Not to derail this thread, but am I seeing rounded corners on those ANH T Track? The other saber I've had suspicions of cast grips was the ROTJ Vader saber (because of the chip that reveals white underneath and how smooth the corners are) and it also has rounded corners, unlike any other sabers. maybe they made an Idealized mold to cast up grips when needed, no need to cut and trim.

gripcloseup1b.jpg

Wow... Well this turned into an interesting discussion!

I would be happy to get more pics next time I go if you like. I guess the placards posted weren't too in-depth as to exact details other than saying they were used in those films.

I am not a resident expert of every material and last detail when it comes to the screen used pieces.

getting lots of angles may be tricky given the way they're displayed, but I can do my best if there's any requests. The pieces are literally about a foot from your face including the glass, so pretty close. I just can't do flash photography.

I have a membership to EMP so going back wouldn't be a problem sometime.

... And yes, that is a Maul saber below those!

Well I know I'm always up for more photos. & then more photos after that :thumbsup. I don't know what type of camera you have, & I know the lighting in these places makes useing long lenses more difficult, if not impossible without a tripod. But, if it's possible, I'd like to see shots of the end caps, & other sides of the sabers, & anything close up - detail type of shot. &, a few shots of Mauls (I'd like to compare them to my eFX & MR :) )
Thank you sir. I hate having to send you back to look at Star Wars props & all, but it's for the greater good.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back