ILM Force Awakens CG ship renders. ULTRA high res.

In spite of Abram's desire to do more "practical effects" it still comes down to money. Flying spaceships are much cheaper to do CG than practical. The cost to build a CG model vs. a real model is about the same but the cost to shoot real models is a lot more expensive than that to render the CG model. You can also render the CG elements for a multitude of shots at the same time whereas with a real model it's one at a time making for a longer production schedule.

There's a lot more to the decision of whether to use practical miniatures or cgi than just the cost.

Storage is also a big issue. (I say this as a technical director in opera whose warehouse is only so big) i remember the doc on the prequels where they mentioned scrapping set pieces the day after shooting with them.

But with cgi, you can use them over and over again for free. The exact same model can appear in video games and even be sent to hasbro so they can ignore it completely.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Storage is also a big issue. (I say this as a technical director in opera whose warehouse is only so big) i remember the doc on the prequels where they mentioned scrapping set pieces the day after shooting with them.

But with cgi, you can use them over and over again for free. The exact same model can appear in video games and even be sent to REVELL so they can ignore it completely.

Fixed that fer ya

J

Remember how many overused stock viper shots there were on old galactica? That doesn't happen anymore....as much

But it was a lot more fun! I miss those days. Building and shooting miniatures was the most fun I ever had doing VFX.
True dat. I really was referring to the issue of quality loss, and the optical process. I was lucky to have started with people doing in-camera effects and bipacks, along with hanging miniatures, glass shots, front screen, etc. Old school, but great looking. Even then, though, those methods were more restrictive when compared with motion control (the new kid on the block back then.) Fortunately, I was smart enough to appreciate my education as it was happening, though it did take me a few months to understand how lucky I was.

Last edited:
Dave G is the real deal. A hugely experienced VFX worker and supervisor that has litterally "been there, done that". He is a meticulous modeler and is up on the very latest technologies in the industry, and an accomplished artist in many media. He knows his stuff, and when he has time to post here, I listen very carefully!

Oh shucks S'Doh thanks! But my opinion's no more valid than anyone else's. That's what's great about the RPF, getting to hear from a variety of people. I'm just an opinionated "old fart"! Now just don't get me started on why widescreen 1:85 isn't "Scope"! :eek

Oh shucks S'Doh thanks! But my opinion's no more valid than anyone else's. That's what's great about the RPF, getting to hear from a variety of people. I'm just an opinionated "old fart"! Now just don't get me started on why widescreen 1:85 isn't "Scope"! :eek

I remember going to SMPTE meetings in the 90's here in LA and many a debate erupted over 2.39 vs 2.40.

....220, 221 whatever it takes ;-)

apb

So movies shot on film, as Star Wars was won't look any better when they are eventually re-released at 4k Ultra HD resolution for playback on 4K television. Everybody's talking like 4k will be so much better when it finally comes, but it's kind of like the Spinal Tap amp that went to "11". For something to look the best played back at 4k it will have had to have been shot on a digital 4k camera.

4K or rather "4K" as they(Samsung, Sony etc) claim it to be isn't even 4K, just merely four times 1080p.

and Star Wars in 4K, already done by Reliance Media Works:
http://makingstarwars.net/2014/07/star-wars-iv-vi-converted-4k-16-bit-resolution

As long as Vader's saber isn't pink like it is on a few formats :facepalm

The exact same model can appear in video games

It really can't

If only the Original OT (non-Special Edition) version could get this treatment - but then it may not even exist anymore except on old VHS tapes like the one in my cabinet.
R/ Robert

It exists alright,....the footage in the Reliance Media shows it,.....the effect shots of Vader & Ben are pre SE,.....

...also Mike Verta had done some splendid work:
https://vimeo.com/mikeverta

J

Well, that is good news! Thanks for the tip, J.

Regards, Robert

PS: Now I've had a better look at Mike's work he is REALLY doing a bang-up job (not just technically but also analytically & artistically.)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back