Disney Store Kylo Ren lightsaber mods

So I stopped waffling over design choices and committed to a few things and I'm happy with the end result. Long post ahead!

Here's the replacement blade-holder, had to dremel down the sides a whole lot so that there'd be enough room for the two emitter LEDs. Wound up going with some M-3 screws for it--two to hold the blade, one to hold the holder in place inside the hilt. After that, I pretty much just put several dabs of hot-glue in key places to make sure this sits correctly inside the hilt and is fixed there.

LRJPQso.jpg

Couple shots of the guts, have all the LEDs and lens holders mounted up. I got some copper tubing from home depot and cut/flattened it to make some ghetto heatsinks, attached those to the LEDs with thermal tape pads. Took more M3 screws and put two on each of the side-emitters (screwed them in from the inside):

FHCXoVE.jpg

The lens-holders were too beefy for the hilt halves to close around them so I had to dremel the outer edges down a bit. Small detail, but important:

HPWuEoS.jpg

This is what I did for both the side blades and the main blade, just made a little twist-lock channel that the set-screws feed into. As a result of this, all the blades are removable:

X142LoW.jpg

Snapped everything else back together and bam:

yPrgrcR.jpg
5bo8K4B.jpg

ry5tMw6.jpg

Not a bad (and seriously less expensive) alternative to the Black Series.

Last edited:
That's awesome! I saw it on Facebook, and asked a couple of questions about it there...great work! [emoji106] [emoji2]

What size pvc pipe did you use, and how long is the blade holder?

That's awesome! I saw it on Facebook, and asked a couple of questions about it there...great work! [emoji106] [emoji2]

What size pvc pipe did you use, and how long is the blade holder?

Thank you! Know I answered your message already, but I'll post it here for the rest of folks.

The PVC pipe is 1.25" outer diameter, so it fits the 1" OD polycarbonate tube. It's cut to about 2" long to make the blade holder.

Nice...I picked up a PVC pipe-to-pipe coupling last night; it's 1.5" OD, a shade over 1" ID, and 1.75" long. [emoji106]

Rob

Last edited:
I swapped the standard blade with the same stuff as grafic jordan , but i tried to keep the rumble feature.
the blade its heavy and in certain angles starts rumbling , any ideas on how to reinforce the rubber ring or the plastic ring that closes the handle halves ( and keeps the O ring from warping to much under pressure) ?
i would like to keep that function , its neat but since it keeps firing constantly i kills the swining sound effect.
13188041_1760460214189015_1457940736_n.jpg

Trying to think of easier, creative ways to get the metallic core to recess into the hilt without dremeling, splicing, and backing material. Even my tiny multi-purple bit for my Dremel cuts too wide. Can anyone recommend a specific bit?

Last edited:
My removable extended blade modification was a success! I did it several weeks ago but haven't posted about it yet. The entire blade is not complete and will be modded further but I'll post what I've done so far.

Outer blade
The blade is about 87 cm long and I went for a kind of budget solution by extending the blade with another Disney blade that I already had instead of buying expensive blades from overseas. The blade has an outer red part, a middle red part and a white inner part. By cutting the outer and middle blades at different lengths and putting clear glue inbetween I got a sturdy construction. In the picture I have marked the cut on the outer and the middle tubes. I actually put the blade sections in a lathe to get the cut straight. If the cut hadn't been very precise there might have been a small gap where light can shine through when putting the tubes together. The cut on the outer blade is kind of visible but it shows less when the blade is lit.
IMG_0423 - kopia.JPG
Inner blade with stringblade
The extension for the white tube is just taped on since it's protected by the outer red part of the blade. Inside the white tube is the stringblade I made from 75 "regular" bright LEDs. The connection scheme for the original blade looks like in the picture below. On the original blade, the LEDs are mounted on a kind of circuit board but the principle is the same. In the bottom of the circuit board five cables are connected. (thesualc has some good photos of the inside, watch post #94, page 4 in this thread.) The brown cable is positive and the others are negative. So the red cable lights up first, then the orange, then yellow, then green, which makes the blade light up in sequence.
Lightsaber led scheme.png
I used the same buildup for my stringblade but with more LEDs. By using extender cables I connected the red cable to the negative of the first LED, the orange to the 20th LED, the yellow to the 39th and the green to the 58th. (The first three "sections" of the stringblade has 19 LEDs and the last has 18.) By adding power "along the way" in this fashion prevents the light from fading towards the tip, which it would have done in a "regular" parallel circuit.

Connector - blade
Moving on to the connector. I used the 3D-printed connector made by @thesualc, worked great! On the lower part of the white tube is the connector. The piece of red tube (taken from the middle tube of the blade) holds everything together (with glue) and along with the black plate (which comes with the saber) it helps aligning the connectors when inserting the blade into the hilt. The connector inside the hilt (painted black for less visibility) has a slit in which the black plate goes and the piece of tube goes around the connector. Note that the actual male and female connectors are bought, not printed. The piece of red tube and the white tube are held together with a piece of string (with some glue) which lets them move slightly relative to eachother which makes inserting the blade easier. Also, when pulling the blade out all the tension is in the string and none in the cables or the LEDs.
IMG_0422.JPGIMG_0427.JPGIMG_0426.JPG
Connector - hilt
Inside the hilt is a black cylinder into which the blade is inserted. Originally, there is like a black rod going across the inside. I sanded this down so I could insert the connector but kept a few millimeters because this prevents the blade from being pulled out when using the twist-lock mechanism. Because the space inside the black cylinder is so tight I had to make sure the connector was glued in place correctly. I did this by simply inserting the blade as the glue hardened, which kept the connector in place. The cylinder is made of two halves which are held together partly by the glue at the bottom of the connector but also by a cable tie. I guess you could just as well glue the halves together when gluing the connector.

Inserting the blade
The blade is inserted by first inserting the white tube (kept inside the outer tube) and then inserting the outer blade and twisting it 90 degrees. Only the outer part is twisted, the inside is not moving. The weird shape at the bottom of the red tube is because the shape on the piece of the rod I kept is kind of a plus shape. On the other side it is circular, as seen in the picture above.
IMG_0428 - kopia.JPGIMG_0429 - kopia.JPG

Lighting it up

The blade lights up pretty good, brighter than the original at least and there is almost no "dotted" effect from the LEDs being too far apart. It is kind of orange, I guess it is because both the blade and the LEDs are red. The side blades are actually lit up by the two original LEDs from the saber. To make them shine just as bright as the main blade I connected two cables to the green cable and led them to the negatives of each LED, where the black cables connect. Below is a picture of the whole saber for proportion. The side blades are just slightly inserted and will be about 1 cm shorter each when fully inserted. I might extend those too in some way later.
IMG_0434.JPG

Clip - hilt
I also made a belt clip so I can store the hilt in a belt. The raised block resembling a clip on the original saber is split in two parts with one part being on the battery hatch. That block is where I would place the clip and since I wanted the hatch to be removable I had to find out a way to make the block one coherent piece because the clip can't split up when I open the hatch. I laser cut some pieces of what I think is acrylic glass and glued them together and glued it in place on the hilt. For that last step I just had to remove a thin wall inside the hilt. By drilling a hole in the fake clip i got the structure seen below, with two holes where I could insert the actual clip. The clip is made from 1 mm thick water cut brass with two steel rods soldered into two holes on the brass. A piece of 2 mm thick acrylic glass keeps the clip distanced from the hilt so it can slide into the piece on the belt. Lastly I sanded off the entire part of the fake clip on the battery hatch, making a slot where the new clip fitted perfectly. In the pictures nothing is glued in place and the acrylic needs painting of course but it shows the function.
IMG_0421.JPGIMG_0419.JPGIMG_0418.JPGIMG_0417.JPGglasspinnar.jpg

Clip - belt
The belt part of the clip is also made of acrylic glass (2 mm) and glued in layers on top of each other. Even the bolts are laser cut but I realised two bolts are missing in the middle track. When pulling out the hilt the brass scratches the inside of the clip (right inner wall) so that part is reinforced with a strip of aluminium. The track in the middle is also reinforced on the sides with 1 mm hard plastic because of the fragility of the construction. It is highlighted in the leftmost picture.
IMG_0431 - kopia.JPGIMG_0430.JPG

Last edited:
Nice job Stachenscarfen, glad the piece worked out for you. Looks like you came up with an even more elegant solution to attaching the blade. Did you leave the rubber gasket piece at the top? I actually put some vaseline on mine to make sliding the blade in and out easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
dude this is amazing! this is exactly what i wanted to do but didnt know how to go about it.only thing i was thinking is just changing out the main blade.leaving the side ones.did you have any power problems with the new stronger LED and the current battery pack?

Question from someone who's new to using filler/Milliput/etc.. How are people filling these detailed areas in?

92bd7ee37bbeffc131688dcdfea5a4b9.jpg

137cefcf4e7787a88356d87617863df0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It looks pretty darned good....and I'm in the same boat: I started mine a year ago, but haven't finished it yet...too many other irons in the fire to take care of, lol. Maybe one of these days this year, I'll get around to finishing it. ;)

Rob

Well, after just over a year since starting this thread, I finally got round to finishing this saber! :lol I've seen some amazing mods done in here. Well, here's my meager effort:

http://i.imgur.com/dDlGOvb.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8ydMM8V.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/RNYHcOB.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/TLRnwp6.jpg

I still hate that battery compartment....

Goodjob! What you got down the emmiter holes?

Did you leave an LED?

I have one of these I've thought of messing around with... but having the Black series and looking to buy into the next run in the junkyard, seems a waste of time...

But then I see this....

dude this is amazing! this is exactly what i wanted to do but didnt know how to go about it.only thing i was thinking is just changing out the main blade.leaving the side ones.did you have any power problems with the new stronger LED and the current battery pack?

Are you referring to me? Thank you if you are. :D I'm no expert in electronics so I don't actually know if there is any stress on the system or how long the batteries will last with this new setup. Only problem so far is that one of the sections in the main blade is flickering so I have to take out the LEDs and do som re-soldering. :unsure If you keep the original side blade LEDs you can draw some wires to make the side LEDs light up as much as the main blade. You can read more about this in my previous post under "Lighting it up".

the disney lightsaber turns off at few minutes. Is possible change this?

I believe this is programmed into the advanced circuitry, so I don't think there's a way to change that. :eek

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back