The Video Game Thread - anything and everything...

It's a good reboot of the 1990s Xcom games but i wish they'd included more of the stuff the old ones had. I have all of them except 2 and will get it now that it's on console. They don't feel like RTS games as they're fast paced, the originals were pretty fast paced too.

It's a good reboot of the 1990s Xcom games but i wish they'd included more of the stuff the old ones had. I have all of them except 2 and will get it now that it's on console. They don't feel like RTS games as they're fast paced, the originals were pretty fast paced too.

It is pretty fast paced! You seem to run down on turns quickly it seems :lol I like doing just the military/tactics side of it vs doing the whole economy and keeping people happy. Also like that failing missions can't be redone(well you can reload the save), and I do like the permadeath of your soldiers.

I did get it on PS4 too. Fun stuff.

Finished playing through Final Fantasy 13, so today I got 13-2 just for something to do. Now both of my PS3 controllers won't work, wired or wireless. Whats going on????

Interesting. I've never read a similar claim before. I've 100%ed the game like 30 times and I can only see a resemblance in one pic.

First pic. It looks closest to one of the cabins in MacFarlane Ranch next to the MacFarlane house but not identical to any actual in game cabin.
Second pic. While it greatly resembles the Warthington Ranch barn, that hill behind it makes the scenery look like the barn at Beecher's Hope.
Third pic is a far stretch. I can't imagine that road being anything other than the southern road in New Austin leading to the large waterfall.

There are a few places directly modeled after actual real life ones though. Since those pics don't show it, are you saying the resemblance is just with the layout of establishments and not how the establishments themselves look?

If you were to drive the property you would be shocked.

Ha!!! Twenty years old today. Lara Croft and Tomb Raider.

When you look at todays computer high end graphic cards and game consoles its kind of hard to believe how far we've (and she) have come.

God I loved that game. And hated those save points.

The moment that Tyrannosaurus burst out of the jungle!

And the music. I used to leave the playstation on just to play that intro . I got the chills listening to it this morning and a bit emotional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKEmoDvPqvc

Really enjoyed the new games except for the terrible cut scene deaths in the first one. Glad they were gone for Rise.

Happy Birthday Lara.

Finished playing through Final Fantasy 13, so today I got 13-2 just for something to do. Now both of my PS3 controllers won't work, wired or wireless. Whats going on????

Mine went bad too, it kept tracking off to one side even when the stick was straight. I tried fixing it but the 2 for 20.00 off brand i got on amazon is doing well. I need to get a new ps4 one but there's no off brand of it yet. The 4.00 copy of Watchdogs i got at gamestop didn't work despite being clean and blemish free so i'm going to spend a bit more on a copy from amazon. The disc looked pretty thin so i think it may have just been a dud.

Last edited:
Mine went bad too, it kept tracking off to one side even when the stick was straight. I tried fixing it but the 2 for 20.00 off brand i got on amazon is doing well. I need to get a new ps4 one but there's no off brand of it yet. The 4.00 copy of Watchdogs i got at gamestop didn't work despite being clean and blemish free so i'm going to spend a bit more on a copy from amazon. The disc looked pretty thin so i think it may have just been a dud.

Got my wired controller to work, but its an off brand that I really don't like, but at least its something for now.

Red Dead Redemption 2 already listed as a Best Seller on Amazon.ca based on all the pre-orders. lol

Battlefield 1 arrived. Time to clear up some HD space and start the inevitable first play patching. Also have Titanfall and Skyrim Remastered shipping on the 28th. I see there is a new cheap deluxe bundle launching in November for Star Wars Battlefront including all the DLC. I guess they're trying to keep the player count up. I didn't buy it during the original release but for the price of the upcoming deluxe edition on Amazon I'll give it a try.

EDIT: Also forgot, been loving the recently released Cossacks 3 on PC and the new DLC for Warhammer Total War.

Double Edit: Also thought I'd mention since I forgot as well, PSN's last patch allows you to set up two step verification to protect your PSN account. They also provide you with a bunch of emergency pass codes that let you quickly take back your account directly through your system log in should it ever be compromised.

Triple Edit: 2 new PS4 controllers coming to market - https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016/10/26/first-look-at-two-new-licensed-pro-controllers-for-ps4/

Last edited:
I need a new ps4 controller after the holidays so that's good news. I just started "Everybody's Gone to Rapture" on the ps4 as it was free, it is actually a rather creepy game. It wasn't hugely popular but it feels like a BBC scifi show and is nice because so far there's no enemies. Then again I love the empty post apocalyptic style games and this is set during the cold war in the mid 80s so it is hitting all the high notes with me. I am going to look up a tutorial as there's a ton of stuff you can miss.

I just hooked up my 360 for the first time in years. Figured the Netflix One wasn't doing anything, I could switch it up... I played Marble Blast Ultra for about 5 hours in between paint work. Say what you will, but it is still my favorite 360 game. Halo 3 would be a very very close second.

I really wish i could get my 360 online, as soon as i plug in the ethernet it freezes up. i wanted to get a new one but anything near what i have is still a lot of money even used. I looked into a new HD but they're all aftermarket or refurbished.

I sort of feel the same way...however, I did just get Titanfall 2 and have been playing that. Leveled up to 32 pretty quickly. The finishers for Titans are pretty awesome, but some of the Titans can feel cheap when they instantly detonate to kill you before letting you finish them. Other than that it can be awesome running around phaseshifting or hooking your way to a win

I got Witcher 3 GOTY edition and I want to know what they heck they were thinking when they designed the economy in the game. A freaking ham sandwich is like 38 gold! The best random sword I've looted was worth like 20 gold.

Picked up Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2, Skyrim Definitive Edition and for the strategy itch the just released Nobunaga's Ambition Sphere of Influence: Ascension Edition. Also have a PS4 Pro on pre-order that is supposedly going to ship in a few days for Amazon Prime members. I also want a Slim PS4, but I am holding out to see if the 1Tb editions are going to hit North America at the end of November like the rumor says. Just in time as well because my launch day PS4 has started pulling some not so happy symptoms of a potential future breakdown. Waiting on price drops for Attack on Titan and Mafia III and Star Wars Battlefront Deluxe Edition which according to Amazon.ca is going to be down to $40 in a week or so.
Also if anyone is interested in getting the new Berserk musou game, it just went up for pre-order on Amazon.

I have the South Park game on preorder. I loved the first one, lol.

I would love for 1TB hdd for the PS4. Or the option to swap/add a larger external. My 500gb is almost full and Ive had to delete stuff. Damn you Sony....
SofaKing, I know what you mean. My drive to play has seriously gone downhill. Granted, ive been super busy with work the last two years and most of my time off I spent just catching my breath. But now as it all slows down...I really dont feel like playing very often. Even when I have plenty of time to do so, I don't play for more than an hour or two.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not buying another ps4 or xbox 1 until the high capacity ones are a bit cheaper. I should look into installing external drives to my consoles as i can get a 1tb external for 80.00. i just now started skyrim game of the year on ps4. it's good but a bit slow. I was hoping to get thru thi sbacklog of games but it just isn't happening. I found out a game i backed on kickstarter is being made in Pittsburgh which is interesting.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back