The Video Game Thread - anything and everything...

I have to admit I don't like Xcom 2 as much as the first one. That stupid countdown to doomsday thing is the main issue, it's no wonder the pc version has about 40 mods to shut it off so you can actually take your time and have fun. I'm grinding away in Rise of the tomb raider for items and trophies and they really took the fun out of it compared to the first game.

I have to admit I don't like Xcom 2 as much as the first one. That stupid countdown to doomsday thing is the main issue, it's no wonder the pc version has about 40 mods to shut it off so you can actually take your time and have fun. I'm grinding away in Rise of the tomb raider for items and trophies and they really took the fun out of it compared to the first game.

I didn't mind the doomsday clock, mostly because it can be reset whenever you want by taking out a facility. What I minded was the absurd mission timers and the design of several of the missions that are just auto-fails when you play them. The mods, fortunately, fixed that stuff.

And for that, I have to give XCOM2 credit: they understood that mod support allows you to make the game your own, and to customize it as you see fit. This prevents people from endlessly complaining on forums about how the game doesn't fit their own personal ideal version. Instead, you can just tweak it to be what you want and go have fun.

But yeah, out of the box? XCOM2 had problems. I can't imagine trying to play it on a console. >shudder<

Yeah on console it's rough just for those very reasons, they should have added something so you could modify those missions.

There's no way to do that for console, short of adding in a whole ton of options in the game menu. There's just certain games you DO NOT play on console. Most TES and Fallout games from Bethesda, and any game that really benefits from mod support. Unless and until consoles become mod-friendly (they won't), the experience is just infinitely better on PC if you have a rig that can run the game.

The real problem is they never planned on Xcom 2 hitting consoles when it was made so it's really much just a fast and dirty port of the pc version.

Gave up on Rise as I'm in no mood for horde modes. Has anyone played Saturday Morning RPG? It's a giant love letter to the 80s including a sound track by Vince Dicola of Transformers the movie and Rocky 4 fame.

Last edited:
For XCOM 2 I ended up getting a mod that slows the Doomsday clock down and it was much better. I haven't played in a while, but I think there were some timed missions too. That's just dumb. I can't stand games that try to make you hurry through. It makes me think it was unfinished and they wanted to make you rush through and not notice.

The Doomsday clock does bother me but like it was said, it is pretty easy to reset. It's more annoying because it really feels like the last 5 boxes always fill up faster than you can knock them down.

I don't care for the "limited turns" missions at all though. I get the extra stress the Devs want to put on you with it(same with the Doomsday Clock), but if I could only make one change, that would probably be it.

I've only watched a couple guys play with mods for it(and it wasn't much), and other than speeding up tech or getting more resources(or getting them more frequently), I'm not sure what else I would want.

Voice packs are pretty cool too.

Other than that, I really enjoy my console XCOM2 :lol.

There's no way to do that for console, short of adding in a whole ton of options in the game menu. There's just certain games you DO NOT play on console. Most TES and Fallout games from Bethesda, and any game that really benefits from mod support. Unless and until consoles become mod-friendly (they won't), the experience is just infinitely better on PC if you have a rig that can run the game.

Except consoles now run mods just fine. It's not a perfect solution, but I had no problem running Fallout 4 with any mod I actually cared about.

The problem is the console companies more than the consoles. Their lawyers pretty much run the mod section of things to cover their butts and stop fun. So I got back into X Com 2 and honestly it might end up on the shelf with the few other games I can't force myself to finish like Mad Max and metal gear solid 5. The timer keeps going up but there isn't an enemy facility to take out anywhere. Poor game design.

Last edited:
For XCOM 2 I ended up getting a mod that slows the Doomsday clock down and it was much better. I haven't played in a while, but I think there were some timed missions too. That's just dumb. I can't stand games that try to make you hurry through. It makes me think it was unfinished and they wanted to make you rush through and not notice.

Most of the missions are timed, actually. The issue is less the timer existing at all, and more the length of time you have. There were some other problems with mission design early on, which may have been fixed. For example, I NEVER understood why on "Defend the Relay" missions, your team started far away from the relay, but the enemy started right next to it. Also, later in the game, when Sectopods show up, you can have the Sectopod "group" activate and just stomp across the relay destroying it. Instant failed mission. Just crappy mission design, really.

The Doomsday clock does bother me but like it was said, it is pretty easy to reset. It's more annoying because it really feels like the last 5 boxes always fill up faster than you can knock them down.

I don't care for the "limited turns" missions at all though. I get the extra stress the Devs want to put on you with it(same with the Doomsday Clock), but if I could only make one change, that would probably be it.

I've only watched a couple guys play with mods for it(and it wasn't much), and other than speeding up tech or getting more resources(or getting them more frequently), I'm not sure what else I would want.

Other than that, I really enjoy my console XCOM2 :lol.

There are mods that replace the visuals and sound effects for weapons with real-world ones. That's fun. Voice packs are fun, too. And of course, the timer changes. What the devs wanted to do is force you to lose people instead of playing carefully. Which, to my way of thinking, is dumb when (A) it's a turn-based game, and (B) you're already at the mercy of the RNG. Playing carefully, leapfrogging along instead of recklessly charging into battle, is just good common sense. So, screw them and their timers. I modded 'em. I think I changed missions with, like, 8 turns and bumped them up to 12 or 14. The timer still is there so you can't just turtle, but the time frame is a bit more forgiving.

Except consoles now run mods just fine. It's not a perfect solution, but I had no problem running Fallout 4 with any mod I actually cared about.

Wait, WHAT? I can run Fallout 4 with mods on a console? Can I use any mod? How does this work?

ANSWER ME!!!!!!!!

You have more mod options for fallout 4 on xbox as MS is more lenient but there are ps4 ones too, you have to join bethesda's website to access and install them though.

So all this time, I coulda been playing Fallout 4 modded on a console?! Like, can I pick ANY mod or only the mods that are approved, or what? This is HUGE news to me.

So all this time, I coulda been playing Fallout 4 modded on a console?! Like, can I pick ANY mod or only the mods that are approved, or what? This is HUGE news to me.

On console I am pretty sure it's only approved mods as certain 'adult' content could cause trouble on consoles where PC it's pretty much whatever you want goes.

Also Nintendo Switch getting an anti-grav racer called Fast RMX - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbf5Ef9CTIw so that makes three Switch games I want whenever I decide to get my system.

Also the Bretonnia Knights faction has been fully added as a free download faction for Warhammer Total War this month if anyone plays.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=064KxPmRLHs

Last edited:
Meh, I don't care about "adult" content or, like, the bodies being naked when you strip them of armor. I'm more interested with being able to tweak the game experience, use real-world weapons, modify graphics to improve the visuals (e.g. what they did with Skyrim and Oblivion where they make the models more detailed and give you more customization options), etc. I may have to check this out, finally, instead of holding out for a new PC (my 2010-era rig probably can't handle Fallout 4).

Wait, WHAT? I can run Fallout 4 with mods on a console? Can I use any mod? How does this work?

ANSWER ME!!!!!!!!

You can run any mod that the author has ported to console. It is much more extensive on XB1 than on PS4, but both have it available. So far, it only works on Fallout 4 and the Skyrim re-release, but I'm sure it will happen more and more.

- - - Updated - - -

There are limitations of course, consoles are just more limited than computers. On the XB1, you can have only 2 GB of mods installed. You can't go crazy but you can certainly have fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Meh, I don't care about "adult" content or, like, the bodies being naked when you strip them of armor. I'm more interested with being able to tweak the game experience, use real-world weapons, modify graphics to improve the visuals (e.g. what they did with Skyrim and Oblivion where they make the models more detailed and give you more customization options), etc. I may have to check this out, finally, instead of holding out for a new PC (my 2010-era rig probably can't handle Fallout 4).

Yup, you can do all that.

There are some pretty cool equipment mods, but other than that you aren't missing out on anything.

I see those all the time and I agree. However the actual models look really good (as far as Fallout 4 or Skyrim) compared to vanilla. The problem, IMO, is that a lot of visual mods that aren't game engine wide, really stick out. For example, say you mod yourself and your companion to have better models, whenever they interact with NPCs they will stand out.

It's not just the adult mods it's also the mods using stuff from various IPs that would get the console companies in hot water, apparently nobody gives a crap about them on PC though so anything goes.

I am coming to terms with the fact that I will never have an NES classic.

There's no way I will pay over $100 for one of those

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Yeah the idiots on yahoo celebrated it was back in stock on amazon: they didn't mention it was over 100.00 and from third party sellers.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back