The Video Game Thread - anything and everything...

The flying was simplified as you say, it's the amount of commands you need to use that would be hard to do on a console. If you just take the function key commands of the old games,, that's more than you could control with a controller.

I gotcha now. Sorry, complete console gamer here with little pc gaming beyond Diablo 1&2 lol.
@WesR, yea other than the assassin's creed games, this was a total "F it, why not" moment. And I'm one of the disgruntled Division players who doesn't know if they want to come back...even though I did like it better than Destiny.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been tempted to try the Division but there's not enough stuff out there for me to play that justifies 60.00 a year for ps plus or live gold, especially when the "free" games they give you go away if you stop subscribing. That 70.00 will buy me a lot of the old games on my to get list. Plus I'm sick of having to deal with modern gamers online. I get Ubi games used or for 20.00 at walmart out of the bin if it's a good deal.

I've been tempted to try the Division but there's not enough stuff out there for me to play that justifies 60.00 a year for ps plus or live gold, especially when the "free" games they give you go away if you stop subscribing. That 70.00 will buy me a lot of the old games on my to get list. Plus I'm sick of having to deal with modern gamers online. I get Ubi games used or for 20.00 at walmart out of the bin if it's a good deal.

In defense of PS+, I still make back my entire years subscription and more on the PS+ discounts alone. And you still own those games even if you give up the subscription. I also really liked The Division although I haven't started any of the DLC's yet with so much other stuff to get into.

I don't buy that many digital titles so the discounts probably wouldn't help much. About all i get digital is dlc. The problem with the Division is so much of it makes you deal with other people which i hate doing. It seems a lot of Ubisoft games are going towards always online multiplayer.

I don't buy that many digital titles so the discounts probably wouldn't help much. About all i get digital is dlc. The problem with the Division is so much of it makes you deal with other people which i hate doing. It seems a lot of Ubisoft games are going towards always online multiplayer.

Oh I agree with that. For the most part I only online game with friends and/or my brothers. I also joined a 'No Kids' Friendly Gamers clan so I would have a resource pool of potential online playmates for various games. They're also really good about making sure members behave and basically being a dick online gets you immediately booted off the players list. We all started as a MAG clan back on the PS3.

I actually forgot my main reason for posting anyway. News for the Wipe Out fans. The Wipe Out games were pretty much Sony's answer to Nintendo's F-Zero and in spite of a brutal learning curve is an awesome anti-grav racing series. Most probably already know we're getting the Remastered Wipe Out Omega Collection this summer on PS4 but the original developers of the now defunct Liverpool Studios who made the Wipe Out series are going to be releasing a new game very similar to Wipe Out called Formula Fusion on PS4 soon. It's been on Steam since 2015 with very positive reviews and the PS4 port is coming along very nicely. It's made me re-watch The Running Man short again just to get hyped up for it. EDIT: I also forgot Redout is still coming. So PC and Sony really reinvigorating the anti-grav racing genre. Please Nintendo, make a new F-Zero.

Also been playing some Killing Floor 2 on the PS4. Hated the first one, but love this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqnqsikohvM

Last edited:
Nintendo would be printing cash by making a new F-Zero game. I'm working on Day of the Tentacle and i have to admit the trophies get handed out for stuff only older gamers would think of as they would have been hidden stuff in the originals like ringing a bell 100 times to annoy someone or activating the idle animation.

Yeah it's 20.00 on psn which isn't bad but more than i'd like to pay for a remaster of a 25 year old game. I'm nearly at the end with all the trophies in under 4 hours. It's actually grown on me, i screwed up so i have to play thru again to one point later. The remastered edition actually comes with a fully playable version of the uncensored PC Maniac Mansion. I couldn't figure out why the game needed a SCUMM emulator until i found the game inside the game. It gets oddly meta at times including Lucas Arts calling Dr Fred.

Last edited:
So I recently bought both Final Fantasy 7 and Tactics on my phone enjoying the crap out of them. Something I have always done and I am not sure if others do this as well but every RPG game etc I have played I always rename the characters whenever possible to those as closely relation to people I know and the same abilities etc.

IE Barrett of FF7 with his big bulky size I rename Jonny everytime after my friend Jonnny Hobbs who is a bodybuilder.

Was curious who else does this?

So I recently bought both Final Fantasy 7 and Tactics on my phone enjoying the crap out of them. Something I have always done and I am not sure if others do this as well but every RPG game etc I have played I always rename the characters whenever possible to those as closely relation to people I know and the same abilities etc.

IE Barrett of FF7 with his big bulky size I rename Jonny everytime after my friend Jonnny Hobbs who is a bodybuilder.

Once in a while I will do it. My first playthrough of FFVII I didn't like the name Cloud so I renamed him Riot.

Yup.

I do it in many games. Like Xcom2, majority of my main squad is named after friends and family, as if the events happened around us.

Same here. I named two XCOM people after my niece and nephew and then told them how they were doing. My nephew as assault and he lasted two missions. My niece was a medic and lasted until the end. He was annoyed that his little sister's character was better. :lol I named one Red Shirt and he somehow survived until the end, despite making him the door kicker on every mission.

Way back when the first Xcom game hit in the 90s the guide writer suggested naming them after people you knew so you wouldn't randomly send them to your doom and then name the guys that sucked after your boss and mother in law lol. My only complaint about Rise of the Tomb Raider is some of the crappy controls, especially when you're supposed to do dives but it requires hitting 2 buttons at once and half the time it doesn't respond right. I got one without trying by shooting a deer with a grenade launcher round lol.

Way back when the first Xcom game hit in the 90s the guide writer suggested naming them after people you knew so you wouldn't randomly send them to your doom and then name the guys that sucked after your boss and mother in law lol. My only complaint about Rise of the Tomb Raider is some of the crappy controls, especially when you're supposed to do dives but it requires hitting 2 buttons at once and half the time it doesn't respond right. I got one without trying by shooting a deer with a grenade launcher round lol.

I totally do that do. The first game I remember playing where I could rename people was Myth The Fallen Lords. All my friends from school were in the game and I would save the level replays so whenever one of them came over they could see how they were progressing. Some pretty sad moments when one of them I had since the first of the game would get killed in the later levels. Man do I miss the Myth games. I actually bought my first G3 Power Mac just for Myth. I would go on to buy my first PC just for the Blade Runner game after a year of e-mailing Westwood Studios pleading for a Mac port of it.

Well what else do you kill a deer with? I found one case of crappy controls last night. I'm playing Dying Light on PC and there's an unlock that allows you to throw any normal weapon and it says "double click right mouse button to aim and left mouse button to throw". Well it only works if you get click the buttons at just the right pace they want you to. To me it's not worth using if it doesn't work immediately.

The flying was simplified as you say, it's the amount of commands you need to use that would be hard to do on a console. If you just take the function key commands of the old games,, that's more than you could control with a controller.

I gotcha now. Sorry, complete console gamer here with little pc gaming beyond Diablo 1&2 lol.
@WesR, yea other than the assassin's creed games, this was a total "F it, why not" moment. And I'm one of the disgruntled Division players who doesn't know if they want to come back...even though I did like it better than Destiny.

To elaborate a little bit...

First, the flight model in the old X-wing and Tie Fighter PC games was pretty different. By that, I mean that ships moved at different speeds and showed different levels of responsiveness. You had more control over the craft than in, say, Battlefront. You could pitch, yaw, and roll, or do combinations of all three (assuming your joystick let you). You really NEEDED a joystick to play, too.

Many of the functions could probably be replicated on a controller, but there are a ton of different inputs to consider. This included -- at least in later games -- targeting individual components, assigning stored targets to your computer's memory so that you could quickly check on something, being able to issue orders to wingmen and other friendly ships (which were obeyed to...varying degrees), setting shield, laser, and special weapon recharge rates (e.g. if your fighter mounted a tractor beam), and a bunch of additional abilities. In addition to just the basic joystick controls, you had probably, oh, 80-ish individual keyboard interactions you could use. Here's a link to the reference card for X-wing vs. Tie Fighter:

http://www.emperorshammer.org/to/files/wiki/xvt_cheat_sheet.pdf

Now, not all of those things are necessary on a console, I suppose, but most of them are. And there simply aren't enough inputs on console controls to do this. You MIGHT be able to catch the bulk of them with, say, a HOTAS setup like the Ace Edge pack that came with Ace Combat 6's special edition (that's a joystick and throttle control), but even then I think you'd be missing a few.

Moreover, remember that flight model stuff I mentioned? It's....VASTLY different from modern games. Everything was slower in many respects. Your ship responded slower, your lasers fired and flew towards the target slower, your missiles and such flew slower, on a straightaway you'd be flying slower even at max speed. In some respects, this is due to the fact that the game demanded more of your energy be focused on things like managing the craft, what with all of the various keyboard inputs and such. You needed the time to do things like punch buttons, so they couldn't have you moving at, like, the speeds you see in Battlefront. Some of it was also probably due to processing speed. Later games in the series (XvT and X-Wing alliance) sped things up quite a bit by comparison to the earlier games. But even then, it was still slower than console gaming.

I'd love these games to make a comeback, but I think they'd be playing to a very niche market.

They did that with Watch Dogs. You could turn it off if you wanted to, but the default was that people could "invade" your game and vice versa. Certain unlocks in the game (decent ones, too) required you to do these jobs. I did maybe 4 and then decided I didn't like it. The theory of this stuff is always better than the reality. What's the old saying? No battle plan survives contact with the enemy.

Yeah I made sure to turn it off in Watch Dogs, though since i got it last year I doubt there would be much trouble. That said people were still checking into their areas for that "mayor" quest where you claim territory lol. I've been bad I repreordered the special edition of Horizon lol. I have never died so much in a game as i have in this new tomb raider, the controls go from amazing to utter crap so fast. No gaming for me today, today is dust and clean the collection day. I have 2 cups of strong coffee in me so I'm pretty sure I can't sit still to game even if i wanted to lol.

Here's an interesting thing: I've been buying the Super Mario Yahtzee sets cheap to turn them into display bases for my gaming hats only to find that they're 40.00 or more online now. That's up over 30.00 since I bought some.

Last edited:
Once in a while I will do it. My first playthrough of FFVII I didn't like the name Cloud so I renamed him Riot.

My first playthrough of FF7 I named Aeris after my HS Crush.... I was so afraid she literally died I did not sleep at all that night and was super releaved to see her the following day I hugged her. She had no idea what happened and I had to just pretend I was sad due to my my friend being sick and needing a hug.

Yup.

I do it in many games. Like Xcom2, majority of my main squad is named after friends and family, as if the events happened around us.

Good so it's just not me

Same here. I named two XCOM people after my niece and nephew and then told them how they were doing. My nephew as assault and he lasted two missions. My niece was a medic and lasted until the end. He was annoyed that his little sister's character was better. :lol I named one Red Shirt and he somehow survived until the end, despite making him the door kicker on every mission.

Now I feel bad for your newphew

My current XCom2 playthru features a 5-person team with voicepacks and character details set to match Stargate SG-1 (plus Ronon). It's a LOT of fun, but it makes me save-scum to keep them alive (you know, like the show).

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back