The Video Game Thread - anything and everything...

I remember the old demos they used to give away for the PC. I think the magazine was PC gamer if I remember right. But I do remember the mascot was a monkey/coconut named appropriately, Coconut Monkey. Anyone remember that?
Those demos are what got me first hooked on Warcraft 2, and then Starcraft. Fun stuff.

cd_gamer_front_sleeve.jpg

Before my time :p the first issue of the Swedish PC GAME mag was Jan issue of 1999, simply because of the cover, featuring ALIENS VS PREDATOR :love
I didn't even own a computer :lol
Bought the game that summer... and in November I finally got a computer for it :lol

They called it a floppy disk, but it was pretty hard plastic...did that mean something else then? I remember the big giant floppys.
Those things took so much space yet had so little space on them. Couldn't even hold 1 song on them.

My grandpa gave us an old PC, I think it was an XT or something. That's how I first learned how to use a PC. He had all kinds of games that were mostly just black with white lines and they were all on 5 1/4" floppy disks. At first the highest tech game I had was King's Quest III. It played most Sierra games, the Monkey Island games, Battle of Britain (LucasArts) and then we got a modern PC in 94.

I'm kicking myself for getting rid of all my console demo discs from the 90s. I had Playstation Underground for years and tossed them all when they should be on a shelf in my collection, now they're worth like 30.00 a volume.

I gave my NES and SEGA Genesis to my cousins, along with all of the games... I wish I'd kept them now. I still have ColecoVision around somewhere.

http://www.strategycore.co.uk/site/assets/files/1269/cd_gamer_front_sleeve.jpg

Before my time :p the first issue of the Swedish PC GAME mag was Jan issue of 1999, simply because of the cover, featuring ALIENS VS PREDATOR :love
I didn't even own a computer :lol
Bought the game that summer... and in November I finally got a computer for it :lol

PC Gamer started in either 94 or 95 in the U.S. and they came out first (I think) in the UK. That's pretty much what happened with me. I started getting computer mags and once I saw the demo for TIE Fighter I begged for a new PC. I could only play the demo on my granpda's PC.

PC Gamer started in either 94 or 95 in the U.S. and they came out first (I think) in the UK. That's pretty much what happened with me. I started getting computer mags and once I saw the demo for TIE Fighter I begged for a new PC. I could only play the demo on my granpda's PC.

Sorry, what my very sleepy self tried to convey was actually the fact, that the Jan 1999 Swedish issue was the first *I* ever bought :p no idea when they were established here :p

The good ol' days :)

I played the hell out of thexder, double dragon, and manhunter 2 on my first p.c.

I still think manhunter should be adapted to a killer Netflix series

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'm still working on Mad Max for the Xbox One and still think they missed out on so many opportunities for this game, it feels like a movie game that didn't want branded a movie game as it has direct ties to Fury Road yet doesn't involve it. Also what the heck is going on with the Mad Max storyline? It used to be everyone went to war over oil but now, at least in the game, it was some giant global cataclysm involving plague, entire oceans disappearing (i'm not kidding), and wars. They sure love submarines as you find wrecked ones all over yet they look like WW2 models and nothing from modern day so i'm not sure if this is meant to have everything gone bad in the 70s or 80s or what.

Sorry, what my very sleepy self tried to convey was actually the fact, that the Jan 1999 Swedish issue was the first *I* ever bought :p no idea when they were established here :p

The good ol' days :)

I got it. I was just informing everyone when the other versions came out. The console people are slow sometimes... ;) ;)

Big news for PS4 and PS4 Pro owners. Upcoming firmware patch allowing for up to 8tb external 3.0 USB hard drive support. PS4 Pro's getting a new 'Boost Mode' option to bump up the FPS and keep consistent resolution for PS4 games that aren't getting the PS4 Pro bump.

Witcher 3, be a manwhore or not. Decisions, decisions :lol.

I didn't figure out until the end, but I *think* bedding all the prostitutes at one brothel gives you XP. The one in Blood & Wine did. The dumbest thing is that there are no consequences. Either Yennifer (if you pick her) is REALLY understanding, because you're away all the time, or it's something they missed. You'd think a Sorceress would be someone you wouldn't want to tick off.

I didn't figure out until the end, but I *think* bedding all the prostitutes at one brothel gives you XP. The one in Blood & Wine did. The dumbest thing is that there are no consequences. Either Yennifer (if you pick her) is REALLY understanding, because you're away all the time, or it's something they missed. You'd think a Sorceress would be someone you wouldn't want to tick off.

I always figured she wasn't mad about it because she was also off getting herself some side action.

this damn game was fun but gave me nightmares.

silly kid playing it was so proud of himself he got the 'really big shoe' joke. smh ;o)

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone here play Wolfenstein: The New Order? I got it on sale or for free a while back and finished playing it a few weeks ago and had an absolute blast playing, it's by far the best shooter that I've played in a long time. There's no multi-player option, which is no big deal to me, because the devs wanted to focus on the single player experience and it paid off in spades. The story, along with game play are incredible and the animation and character designs are amazing, especially the animation. I used to think that Bioware did modelling and animation very well but Wolfenstein has them beat by a mile, I'm playing Mass Effect 3 right now and because of Wolfenstein I'm having a hard time getting over ME2's somewhat awkward animation when the characters are just standing around talking and the mouth flapping speech animation. In short, if you like shooters and want to play one with a great story and not a lot of BS then definitely get Wolfenstein: The New Order, it's well worth it.

I'm in the middle of playing it currently. I found it...meh. But to be fair, I find most id software games to be "meh." The idTech 5 engine is just completely underwhelming to me in pretty much every game I've played that uses it. I actually found the models and animation in the game to be decidedly mixed. They got the mouth animations to be really good, but the models overall look...I dunno...bloated? Like 1990s comic book art. And the hands are just not great. But to be fair, hands are like the hardest thing to get right, so I'm not too harsh on that.

Mostly I just find the gameplay to be kinda ho-hum. But I got it for $5, so I wasn't expecting much. I think a lot of SP FPS games are still sort of stuck in a mindset that's reminiscent of the 1990s. We've graduated from "corridor shooters" to "map shooters", but in most cases, you're still pretty well locked into the environment. And the guns -- at least the ones I've used -- are just garden variety and not all that inventive. Shotgun, machinegun, big chaingun, pistol, etc. Sure, you can dual-wield, but...so what? And the guns just felt kinda...clattery. No bass to them.

I got the special super edition of it and was surprised how good it was, they made a digital prequel called Old Blood or something that is supposed to be good. The special crate edition has a Panzerhund statue and all sorts of stuff that ties in like intel reports and stuff. Sadly it hasn't gotten any cheaper or i'd suggest folks get that version if they're into statues and such. Apparently a lot of Nintendo's Switch launch games are digital titles which i have no interest in given it only has a 32gb drive on it. @Jeyl: not to mention what Nintendo is charging for controllers for it. A PS4 style controller is 90.00 and it's just as bad for more of the normal controllers. The wii controllers were dirt cheap out the gate so people bought tons of them to use.

I played The Old Blood. Remember the mission you play at the very beginning of The New Order? That's literally the whole game. I mean, in terms of those weapons, that kind of environment, that art design. So if you loved New Order, I'd say check out The Old Blood.

Interesting article about game nostalgia: http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01/29/the-blue-fields-of-gaming-nostalgia

The one guy mentioned going to Babbage's and it was the same with me. They always had a bunch of cool PC games that I'd never heard of. I got games from there and a store that was called Egghead Software (not sure if it was national or not). I just remember being blown away by DOOM, Dark Forces, and TIE Fighter. Around that same time I got a new modern PC (first Pentium going from a really old PC that barely ran Monkey Island in EGA color). I remember playing the TIE Fighter demo that was timed and about all you could do is fly around and see a Blockade Runner. I also had the demo for X-COM and that was just awesome. It seemed like there were new genres of games coming out all over the place, unlike now where it's just new variations of old themes. Not necessarily bad, but a different feel.

Yes!!! Egghead! They had 'em here in the Philly area, too. That was "my" software store. And yeah, Doom, Dark Forces, and the X-wing games were mindblowing back then. As was Rebel Assault when it first came out. (Well, until I realized it was just a rail shooter.)

I remember the old demos they used to give away for the PC. I think the magazine was PC gamer if I remember right. But I do remember the mascot was a monkey/coconut named appropriately, Coconut Monkey. Anyone remember that?
Those demos are what got me first hooked on Warcraft 2, and then Starcraft. Fun stuff.

Yup. PC Gamer. Used to really enjoy that game. They would give BRUTAL reviews to some games, too (e.g. Battlecruiser 3000 A.D. got, like, an 11%). But they were also way, way too easygoing with reviews (e.g. Star Control 3 got something in the 90s, I think).

They called it a floppy disk, but it was pretty hard plastic...did that mean something else then? I remember the big giant floppys.
Those things took so much space yet had so little space on them. Couldn't even hold 1 song on them.

"Floppy disks" started out as 5.25" disks that were actually floppy. Like, if you waved them, they'd wobble about. They were an improvement on data tapes and cartridges. Then they switched to 3.5" disks. Fun fact: you could make your own "double sided disks" by using a hole punch on one corner of the disk. :) The average 5.25" floppy could hold, I think, 640K of data. The average 3.5", double sided, double density disk could hold 1.44MB, if memory serves. A really big hard drive at the time would've been, like, +60MB.

I'm still working on Mad Max for the Xbox One and still think they missed out on so many opportunities for this game, it feels like a movie game that didn't want branded a movie game as it has direct ties to Fury Road yet doesn't involve it. Also what the heck is going on with the Mad Max storyline? It used to be everyone went to war over oil but now, at least in the game, it was some giant global cataclysm involving plague, entire oceans disappearing (i'm not kidding), and wars. They sure love submarines as you find wrecked ones all over yet they look like WW2 models and nothing from modern day so i'm not sure if this is meant to have everything gone bad in the 70s or 80s or what.

I really liked the Mad Max game, but I didn't take the continuity all that seriously. I just treated it like a game where you could, you know, drive around in a muscle car and beat up crazed psychos in makeshift cars. I never did do all of the collectibles and stuff, though.

"Floppy disks" started out as 5.25" disks that were actually floppy. Like, if you waved them, they'd wobble about. They were an improvement on data tapes and cartridges. Then they switched to 3.5" disks. Fun fact: you could make your own "double sided disks" by using a hole punch on one corner of the disk. :) The average 5.25" floppy could hold, I think, 640K of data. The average 3.5", double sided, double density disk could hold 1.44MB, if memory serves. A really big hard drive at the time would've been, like, +60MB.

I used to do that all the time, once I learned that trick I never bought double sided floppys again. Not that it matters but the trick wasn't to punch a hole in a corner but on the opposite side of the notch that was already on the disc. It's funny to think that such a simple trick was all it took to change your disc from single sided to double sided.

As for Wolfenstein Old Blood, I'll have to keep my out for when it goes on sale for cheap. Right now I'm in the middle of Conan Exiles and I'm still playing World of Warships some as well, so I don't have time for a third game at the moment. Btw, if anyone wants to play Conan Exiles in co-op I have a server/game setup, it's called Cimmeria and you can PM for the password. There's no PvP, purely co-op so you can play without being bothered by other players ganking you and there's other players (just me right now) to help you with the monsters and crafting.

Mad Max takes longer to play than I thought it would, mind you it's mostly mindless fetch quests that I probably could have skipped but the crashing and blowing up is addictive. Anyone else notice that it's cheaper to buy Amiibos from Japan than it is US sellers half the time? Gamestop was good for a while but their used stock got wiped out for christmas.

anyone remember when semi decent arcade ports used to come on these?
'loading, please wait..'

BTW, in case anyone is torn between the two the RetroBit RDP works MUCH Better than the Supa Boy..
My SNES games are now portable :)
LOT%20SAMMAX%20COR7%20SIMPSONS%2003_zpsexnekz64.jpg

I always figured she wasn't mad about it because she was also off getting herself some side action.

Apparently, after looking at a Witcher wiki page, Yen is actually a really old hunchbacked woman who makes herself look beautiful. So I guess if Geralt can get past that he can overlook an open relationship. :lol Then you have to wonder, does she feel like a younger woman? I really hope so.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back