Dragoncon 2016

I looked at the Host Hotel page on the DragonCon website and EVERY host hotel is sold out as of now. But we know that they open blocks of rooms at later times. I'll do my best to book something. I may (worse case) book something close by, at least walking distance so we can still do costume changes and be around the con easier than staying at my apartment.

Yeah, I'm going to be doing the same...even though Marriott is sold out, it's technically not fully sold out, one cause they open up more blocks like you stated, and 2 cause a lot of peoples "deposits" don't go threw for not having enough money in there accounts...so then rooms open back up...I'm still checking every few minutes...

I've been toying with the idea of crossing Daft Punk with Boba Fett I would call this costume Daft Fett, or Boba Punk. LOL I'm down to hang out for a day if I end up doing that crossover cosplay.

Heck yea, That would be awesome, What were your Ideas? The Hip Hop Storm Troopers remind me a lot of Daft Punk. They Really caught my attention at D*con this Year.. Very entertaining bunch!

Heck yea, That would be awesome, What were your Ideas? The Hip Hop Storm Troopers remind me a lot of Daft Punk. They Really caught my attention at D*con this Year.. Very entertaining bunch!

This DragonCon I did a Boba Fett / Rocketeer crossover. I called it Bobateer. See attached image.

So next year I'm thinking it's time for a Daft Punk version. Chrome / silver helmet. LEDs in the visor. Black leather jacket from the Get Lucky tour, and on the back of the jacket "Get Bounty" instead of "Get Lucky" those are my basic ideas so far. Not sure about pants or shoes / boots. I think it's a solid crossover idea.

Maybe some speakers in the jacket to play some Daft Punk intermixed with Star Wars soundtrack.

What do you think?

Joshua

Bobateer Small (1000px).jpg

This DragonCon I did a Boba Fett / Rocketeer crossover. I called it Bobateer. See attached image.

So next year I'm thinking it's time for a Daft Punk version. Chrome / silver helmet. LEDs in the visor. Black leather jacket from the Get Lucky tour, and on the back of the jacket "Get Bounty" instead of "Get Lucky" those are my basic ideas so far. Not sure about pants or shoes / boots. I think it's a solid crossover idea.

Maybe some speakers in the jacket to play some Daft Punk intermixed with Star Wars soundtrack.

What do you think?

Joshua

View attachment 538133

That is a pretty good crossover. Would love to roam the con with you. This is my first attempt at any type of cosplay but I am a perfectionist.
I have made a soundboard with all of DPs famous Music and Sound clips and I plan to make a Briefcase / Stereo system with bluetooth to connect with my phone to play it all on.

That is a pretty good crossover. Would love to roam the con with you. This is my first attempt at any type of cosplay but I am a perfectionist.
I have made a soundboard with all of DPs famous Music and Sound clips and I plan to make a Briefcase / Stereo system with bluetooth to connect with my phone to play it all on.

Awesome! You provide the music, I'll provide a Daft Punk / Boba Fett cosplay to dance along to it.

Joshua

And the last $900.00 room went last night some time close to 7pm. I am really pissed that the one year I didn't get a host hotel room (2015) they start letting everyone reserve their room for 2016. Hell I live in metro Atlanta and I have a hard time getting a room. To be honest, there are only a few big positives to staying in the host hotels. If you have a costume, you don't have to worry about getting to the host hotels in a taxi or Uber (as I did in 2015). Once you are properly intoxicated, getting back to your room or someone else room is a bit simpler. And you get DragonCon TV. I really wish they would stream DCTV on a web site so others in the overflow hotels could enjoy it as well. Anyway, perhaps I can land a room when another block opens but I tied that in 2015 and I ended up staying in Midtown, so I am not hopeful. I really think DC need to look at another venue location that can better handle the numbers. 65,000 is what I heard for 2015 and 2016 expects to be larger.

Last edited:
And the last $900.00 room went last night some time close to 7pm. I am really pissed that the one year I didn't get a host hotel room (2015) they start letting everyone reserve their room for 2016. Hell I love in metro Atlanta and I have a hard time getting a room. To be honest, there are only a few big positives to staying in the host hotels. If you have a costume, you don't have to worry about getting to the host hotels in a taxi or Uber (as I did in 2015). Once you are properly intoxicated, getting back to your room or someone else room is a bit simpler. And you get DragonCon TV. I really wish they would stream DCTV on a web site so others in the overflow hotels could enjoy it as well. Anyway, perhaps I can land a room when another block opens but I tied that in 2015 and I ended up staying in Midtown, so I am not hopeful. I really think DC need to look at another venue location that can better handle the numbers. 65,000 is what I heard for 2015 and 2016 expects to be larger.

I totally agree.

My first DragonCon in costume (2014) was a lot of fun, but I didn't have a room to really relax in or crash once I was beer'd up. I live in East Atlanta so I was taking Uber in costume and that gets old really fast. This year I had space in MatrixSpoon's room to stash costumes, beer and snacks. It was much better to at least have a place to retreat to when I got tired.

I don't see the venue changing, but they will have to get more rooms available for D'Con moving forward and even add additional host hotels at this rate. The numbers for this year came in around 72k from what I heard, they estimated 65k and went over that. So a 6th host hotel would be a good idea.

I totally agree.

My first DragonCon in costume (2014) was a lot of fun, but I didn't have a room to really relax in or crash once I was beer'd up. I live in East Atlanta so I was taking Uber in costume and that gets old really fast. This year I had space in MatrixSpoon's room to stash costumes, beer and snacks. It was much better to at least have a place to retreat to when I got tired.

I don't see the venue changing, but they will have to get more rooms available for D'Con moving forward and even add additional host hotels at this rate. The numbers for this year came in around 72k from what I heard, they estimated 65k and went over that. So a 6th host hotel would be a good idea.

This year I stayed at the Ramada Capital Park! It wasn't the best experience however it was not bad. I know the Ultimate Con experience is getting into a host hotel. But I was not sure as this was my first Con EVER. So I didn't want to shell out the crazy cash for a host hotel and not enjoy myself.

With that said I'm thinking of booking the Ramada again, unless I find someone to Roomshare at a host hotel.

Getting to an from the Con was a breeze. With the Shuttle and Uber we never waited more than 20 minutes for a ride.

And the last $900.00 room went last night some time close to 7pm. I am really pissed that the one year I didn't get a host hotel room (2015) they start letting everyone reserve their room for 2016. Hell I love in metro Atlanta and I have a hard time getting a room. To be honest, there are only a few big positives to staying in the host hotels. If you have a costume, you don't have to worry about getting to the host hotels in a taxi or Uber (as I did in 2015). Once you are properly intoxicated, getting back to your room or someone else room is a bit simpler. And you get DragonCon TV. I really wish they would stream DCTV on a web site so others in the overflow hotels could enjoy it as well. Anyway, perhaps I can land a room when another block opens but I tied that in 2015 and I ended up staying in Midtown, so I am not hopeful. I really think DC need to look at another venue location that can better handle the numbers. 65,000 is what I heard for 2015 and 2016 expects to be larger.

Don't forget the custom room key for host hotels...haha, I keep mine from 2015 and 2014...so pissed I wasn't able to get a room hoping I can get one or share one with someone...

I totally agree.

I agree, especially seeing 2016 is going to be the 30th year anniversary you know it's gonna be supper packed, and I'm hoping they do something really special for the anniversary...

I was able to score a marriott room, I figured out the hotel initially released a big initial block at 9 am eastern but then was letting small amount of rooms go after every 5 minute increments. I had been up all day do to the 4 hour difference from alaska to eastern time, so about after an hour and 30 minutes in I scored a room for 4. it was dumb they didn't let you pick which size though. I guess its first come first serve when its king vs double beds.

I was able to score a marriott room, I figured out the hotel initially released a big initial block at 9 am eastern but then was letting small amount of rooms go after every 5 minute increments. I had been up all day do to the 4 hour difference from alaska to eastern time, so about after an hour and 30 minutes in I scored a room for 4. it was dumb they didn't let you pick which size though. I guess its first come first serve when its king vs double beds.

Congrats my friend...supper jealous...still trying to figure out what I'm going to do...Blah...

helpfulnerd, I know exactly what you mean. 2015 my Army buddy and I had costumes and had to Uber from the W in midtown. Im not judging anyone but three guys staying in a hotel in midtown is not the impression I wanted to convey to anyone, if you catch my drift. Anyway it was my first experience with Uber and I love it. It still does not not make it as easy as staying in a host hotel but what else can you do?

Narrator, congrats on your first Con. I have been going to DragonCon since it was DragonCan and before that, the Atlanta Fantasy Fair as far back as my first Con in 1987. I have seen this place and the Cons grow to what they are today. I can remember when getting into a panel with a few stars was as easy as going to the ATM. Today we obviously have way better panels but it comes at a price of long lines and not being able to really plan on going from one panel to the next. Now you have to skip time blocks to stand in line. So each year I really only plan on hitting maybe one or two panels and the rest of the time is people watching, drinking, eating, and cosplay. Regardless you really should try to get a host hotel at least once so you can fully take in the whole experience.

Matrixspoon, right there with you. I know I find rooms in midtown as late as the the week before the Con but I really just want to have everything wrapped up now so I don't have to worry about it then. At least once, I will have a oh **** moment and realize that I forgot to reserve a room and its too late. In 2004, I didn't get a room at all and drove from Snellville every day. that completely sucked, I couldn't drink drink and it made for a not so great Con. I vowed then that I would have a hotel even if it was all the way up at Emory, and most every time I have had good luck in landing host hotels but it seems this is the new norm.

Joshspiderman23, congrats on the Marriott, I expect you will be put in a room with 1 king bed. I say this because every time I have reserved a room at a host hotel, I have had 3 adults and regardless of what the hotel says and regardless of what my reservation says, I have always been stuck with 1 king bed. Arguing about it simply makes no difference to them and your only option is to take it or leave it, the host hotels are more than willing to sell your room to someone else. Really pisses me off but what can you do?

Anyway, guys if you hear of a new block going on sale please let everyone know and see you all at the 2016 Con.

helpfulnerd, I know exactly what you mean. 2015 my Army buddy and I had costumes and had to Uber from the W in midtown. Im not judging anyone but three guys staying in a hotel in midtown is not the impression I wanted to convey to anyone, if you catch my drift. Anyway it was my first experience with Uber and I love it. It still does not not make it as easy as staying in a host hotel but what else can you do?

Narrator, congrats on your first Con. I have been going to DragonCon since it was DragonCan and before that, the Atlanta Fantasy Fair as far back as my first Con in 1987. I have seen this place and the Cons grow to what they are today. I can remember when getting into a panel with a few stars was as easy as going to the ATM. Today we obviously have way better panels but it comes at a price of long lines and not being able to really plan on going from one panel to the next. Now you have to skip time blocks to stand in line. So each year I really only plan on hitting maybe one or two panels and the rest of the time is people watching, drinking, eating, and cosplay. Regardless you really should try to get a host hotel at least once so you can fully take in the whole experience.

Matrixspoon, right there with you. I know I find rooms in midtown as late as the the week before the Con but I really just want to have everything wrapped up now so I don't have to worry about it then. At least once, I will have a oh **** moment and realize that I forgot to reserve a room and its too late. In 2004, I didn't get a room at all and drove from Snellville every day. that completely sucked, I couldn't drink drink and it made for a not so great Con. I vowed then that I would have a hotel even if it was all the way up at Emory, and most every time I have had good luck in landing host hotels but it seems this is the new norm.

Joshspiderman23, congrats on the Marriott, I expect you will be put in a room with 1 king bed. I say this because every time I have reserved a room at a host hotel, I have had 3 adults and regardless of what the hotel says and regardless of what my reservation says, I have always been stuck with 1 king bed. Arguing about it simply makes no difference to them and your only option is to take it or leave it, the host hotels are more than willing to sell your room to someone else. Really pisses me off but what can you do?

Anyway, guys if you hear of a new block going on sale please let everyone know and see you all at the 2016 Con.

HAHA Snellville...LOL. I'm only laughing because you and I are Con local. I really couldn't imagine having to drive to DragonCon from Snellville every day. I live in East Atlanta, not EAV, but pretty damn close, a few blocks and I could use that hippy term. LOL

I am determined to get a host hotel. I actually checked the Marriott website about a week ago, and it was for a more expensive room, and required a $700 deposit, that I didn't have.

So, once some bills get paid and some of my client's pay me I'll be checking the Marriott again.

I'll use my wand, to summon my lightsaber and use the force to give me sight beyond sight...maybe that will get me a hotel room at a host hotel.

I'm trying to get a room that has room for other people. If I snag a room I'll post here and find some Con folk that want to split it and share the cost.

Hey folks,

Here is the first design concept for 2016 DragonCon RPF Meetup badges.

Last year the badge had your RPF avatar.

This year I want to do something different. I want the primary background of the badge to have the image of your cosplay of choice.

If you are a premium RPF user you'll get the premium label in the upper right corner.

There is also the new DragonCon logo as a water mark over top of your cosplay image. And the RPF logo in the upper left corner that shows the image behind just like the RPF site.

Thoughts?

helpfulnerd - DragonCon 2016 RPF Meetup Badge 600 x 800.jpg

Thanks
Joshua

Hey folks,

Here is the first design concept for 2016 DragonCon RPF Meetup badges.

Last year the badge had your RPF avatar.

This year I want to do something different. I want the primary background of the badge to have the image of your cosplay of choice.

If you are a premium RPF user you'll get the premium label in the upper right corner.

There is also the new DragonCon logo as a water mark over top of your cosplay image. And the RPF logo in the upper left corner that shows the image behind just like the RPF site.

Thoughts?

View attachment 542519

Thanks
Joshua

Everything looks great for the most part...I'm just not diging the RPF logo, I like how it's see through like the RPF site, but it's almost like you can't see the logo, being in black like that...it's like it get's lost in the background....I honestly didn't even see it till i clicked and enlarged the picture...

Am I the only one that feels this way, about the RPF logo?...All Feedback is welcome...

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything looks great for the most part...I'm just not diging the RPF logo, I like how it's see through like the RPF site, but it's almost like you can't see the logo, being in black like that...it's like it get's lost in the background....I honestly didn't even see it till i clicked and enlarged the picture...

Am I the only one that feels this way, about the RPF logo?...All Feedback is welcome...

I can do different colors for the RPF logo. Maybe we stick to Red like last year.

I was just trying something new.

I'm open to the same color as last year or maybe a different color (not black) for 2016.

let me know

Thanks
Joshua

Last edited by a moderator:
Got my room back at the Marriott. Much cheaper than the ritz. Although the elevator lines will be worse. I was lucky and got a room in the first minute on the Marriott website. The website forces you to book 6 nights. Gonna call and see if they will change that. Anyone else get stuck with a 6 night minimum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back