Rocketeer Rocketpack 3D printed

AGFRX7

Sr Member
After completing my Rocketeer harness buckle, I decided that it was time to start looking into building the actual rocket pack as well. As I mentioned in my other thread about how this has been one of my dream projects, I was determined to make this a reality.

Rather than render a pack myself, I started looking into kits and posisbly 3d models. I was able to find a resin kit from Monsters in Motion, but much to my dismay, the raw kit costs nearly $1,000. $1,000 is pretty much out of my budget. So… back to my searches.

I finally came across a very high quality 3D file which was built by Dan Vinson of Aperio. Not only had he taken the time to render the exterior of the rocketpack, but designed the internal components as well. Granted this didn’t quite match up exactly with the blueprint shown in the film, but for a prop builder who plans on 3D printing, this was ideal for me.

r1.jpg

r2.jpg

Unfortunately Dan had experienced what many folks in the prop/cosplay community have had happen to them… someone selling your work as theirs, or giving it away for free. Sadly some people feel that once they purchase a 3D file, that they can give it away freely, or make a profit off of it without discussing things with the artist prior. Most 3D artists that I have spoke with are usually okay with people building their designs and then making molds and cast copies. They simply want the credit for making the file; while some may require a small compensation. In the case of Dan though, he got burnt and pulled his files from the web. Only the images of the file remained.

I was lucky enough to have the contact resources to reach out to Dan and discuss a collaboration for this project. After a couple emails and phone calls, we hit it off and he agreed to allow me to use his files to 3D print his Rocketpack. Thankfully he had seen my recent work on the buckle and Zorg ZF-1, that he was confident in my skills, to do this project justice.

Right now, my task is to take the 3d files, check scale and slice them up in a way where I can print them and assemble them to make a complete rocketpack.

Stay Tuned!

r1.jpg

r2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok now that I'm not at work and have to sneak therpf, I want to say : Based on your work on the buckle I have no doubt you'll knock this out of the park and I look forward to watching this thread develop.

Granted even if this is sliced and printed doing it from shape ways will still probably come out to a grand lol

Ok now that I'm not at work and have to sneak therpf, I want to say : Based on your work on the buckle I have no doubt you'll knock this out of the park and I look forward to watching this thread develop.

Granted even if this is sliced and printed doing it from shape ways will still probably come out to a grand lol

I have a Makerbot Replicator 2, the cost of the filament will be between 28 and 50 bucks. The cost is gonna be the metal plating

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I can't wait to see the progress, here. This seems like a great collaboration and an extremely fun build.

Holy Toledo. Awesome!! I've been looking for an alternative to the MOM $1000 kit for years. Watching with interest.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back