Skeletron Cosplay Costume from Turbo Kid SKS Props

SKS Props

Sr Member
Hey everyone SKS Props here yet again with another build! I haven't posted in a while because I have been filling orders for others and working nonstop on a secret costume for Dragon Con!! I am pleased to show off my first teaser image of Skeletron from the cult movie Turbo Kid. Those that are not familiar with this movie just try and imagine Mad Max but with BMX bikes and over the top gore...my kind of movie!! I had been looking forward to it since last February. Anyways here is Skeletron he is one of the top bad guys with a killer metal mask and a buzz saw throwing weapon. I am just posting the mask right now and I promise that when I get back from Dragon Con I will post all of the steps it took to create this and the entire costume. Anyone going to Dragon Con please be on the lookout for me and say hi!!!!

Here is an image from the movie

url_zpsoz0bpfmf.jpeg

Here is my mask - minus the hair I am still working on the wig

1_zpsvfbopup0.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Skeletron Cosplay Costume from Turbo Kid for Dragon Con SKS Props

Like it, No! I love it... Look forward to seeing the pics and hopefully running into you at DC

Re: Skeletron Cosplay Costume from Turbo Kid for Dragon Con SKS Props

Finished up the final details on the Turbo Kid Skeletron cosplay saw launcher. I literally built this in one day with objects I had around the house. I know it's not 100% but again not bad for a one day build. And yes the blade spins! I promise that when I get back from DragonCon I will start the build log on these.

2_zps4ncqxff5.jpg

Re: Skeletron Cosplay Costume from Turbo Kid for Dragon Con SKS Props - Updated 9/2/2

Looks fantastic! I will be dressed as skeletron this weekend as well, I'd love to meet up and get a double skeletron photo if you're interested. I wonder if anyone will be dressed as apple or the kid...

Re: Skeletron Cosplay Costume from Turbo Kid for Dragon Con SKS Props - Updated 9/2/2

Skeletron is ready for DragonCon!!! There are a couple of things I will adjust and improve later on but overall I am pretty happy with the results.

3_zpsvakcdzcw.jpg

Awesome as always! Love the rust detail on the mask.

Where did you find the thigh guards? I was able to find most all of the pads, but the references I used when building didn't show the thigh armor very well.

Where did you find the thigh guards? I was able to find most all of the pads, but the references I used when building didn't show the thigh armor very well.

I only noticed them when I watched the movie at the very end when he is walking toward apple. I made mine out of eva foam the night I took the pic :)

This is amazing. Excellent work. Just curious but did you make/find a bike as well? That seems like it would be a lot of fun.

This is amazing. Excellent work. Just curious but did you make/find a bike as well? That seems like it would be a lot of fun.

Not yet but I will be on the lookout for a cheap on that I can paint up for some additional photoshoots :)

Some shots of my Turbo Kid Skeletron costume from DragonCon. I am compiling pics and should start the build walkthrough on the mask and saw weapon next week.

11947943_722341664564458_1370505888220461171_o_zpsezpgu1ph.jpg

IMG_6101_zpshgvnjzxd.jpg

IMG_6112_zpssgre16fq.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Skeletron Cosplay Costume from Turbo Kid SKS Props - Updated 9/10/2015

You do good work.

Thanks for reminding me I need to see this movie!

Re: Skeletron Cosplay Costume from Turbo Kid SKS Props - Updated 9/10/2015

I know I'm kind of going backwards on this build showing off finished photos first. But with the extremely tight deadline for DragonCon I just did not have the time to build and document. Luckily I still took a bunch of pic and and am now able to go back and show the build process.
Like all of my other projects I gathered as much Turbo Kid reference material for the Skeletron mask as possible. Which was not easy since the movie came out on On Demand 3.5 weeks after I started the project. I use my head form from CFX to get my base shape and started to apply Monster Clay. Since reference photos were limited I did something I try to tell people not to do. I had more photos showing his left side so I pretty much finished it and then had to mirror the right (not an easy task). The other tricky part of this mask was making sure the teeth were correct. I measured it out and made a cardboard template so that they would be uniform.

s1_zpsldefbb6j.jpg

s2_zpsyujre7dl.jpg

s3_zpsmxhpilsf.jpg

s4_zpswdq6zfqc.jpg

s5_zpsvojjtxyv.jpg

Re: Skeletron Cosplay Costume from Turbo Kid SKS Props - Updated 9/14/2015

impressive work, looks great! loved the movie, planning on starting a Turbo Kid and Apple cosplay for me and my girlfriend very soon!

Re: Skeletron Cosplay Costume from Turbo Kid SKS Props - Updated 9/14/2015

Once the Turbo Kid Skeletron mask is smoothed out and scaled to fit I start adding the details. For the metal plates I roll out some Monster Clay in a uniform thickness and trim it with a knife. The sides are rounded to give it more of an organic feel. To make all of the pits and dimples in the metal I spend quite some time stippling the mask with various pens, dowels, and wire brushes. It took forever but I got the texture I wanted. After the pits are complete I use a heat gun and very carefully melt the clay just a little bit. Being mindful to not overdo it and melt off part of his face. The "rivets" are made by sinking copper BBs into the clay.

s6_zpssestqpvf.jpg

s7_zpsiw4zuays.jpg

s8_zpsfob0th22.jpg

s9_zpsrh4orajn.jpg

Re: Skeletron Cosplay Costume from Turbo Kid SKS Props - Updated 9/15/2015

Turbo Kid Skeletron Mask - Time for the part I like the least....Molding Time! Using Smooth-on Rebound 25 I make the silicone mold and then use pasti paste to make the mother mold. Now on to the fun stuff. The mask is slush cast using Smooth Cast 65D. For the paint process I use automotive self etching primer for the first coat. Then I use Rustoleum rattle can Antique nickel and apply a black wash with Liquitex Mars Black heavy body acrylics. The "rust" effect is painted on using a mix of iridescent rich copper and Raw sienna. Mask is highlighted using a dry brush technique with Liquitex iridescent right and bright silver and a final pass on the rivers and high points with silver rub and buff.

s11_zpsudlswfeg.jpg

s12_zpsovagaupw.jpg

s13_zpsjuqpi6hw.jpg

s14_zpsmfss2pe4.jpg

s15_zpsp8oue2zf.jpg

s16_zpsxk5tqfsd.jpg

1_zpsvfbopup0.jpg

Re: Skeletron Cosplay Costume from Turbo Kid SKS Props - Updated 9/16/2015

Very impressive sir. Pity so many don't know about this awesome movie.

SKS Props, we spoke at Dragon Con. Your build rocks and the costume was great to see in person.

That looks amazing I am so going to watch the movie now. I have one question how do you smooth out your monster clay I am have a bit of difficulty.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back