Bandai Y-Wing released 2015

ILMwannabe

Just received my Bandai 1/72 Y-Wings from Japan so I thought you might want to see what it looks like & maybe we can discuss it . . .
IMG_2453.jpgIMG_2466.jpgIMG_2464.jpgIMG_2462.jpgIMG_2460.jpgIMG_2458.jpgIMG_2459.jpgIMG_2469.jpgIMG_2461.jpgIMG_2456.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a few more. Note the base . . . IMG_2455.jpgIMG_2467.jpgIMG_2457.jpgIMG_2459.jpg

The base is a Deathstar Surface segment, and although you can't really tell by the pictures, it's light gray, not white like most of the Y-Wing. The Bandai 1/72 X-Wing, TIE Fighter and Darth Vader TIE Fighter also come with a Deathstar base, but of a different design. You'd have to buy all four kits to get all four different bases! (I have several Bandai Y-Wings - if anyone wants to trade a base only just PM me!).

It's a "snap together" kit (no glue and hardly any painting required). However, I plan to glue it anyway (for more structural integrity) and of course, to paint it and weather it. I find it amazing how they can mold different colors on one sprue set! I'm very happy with this kit . . .

Last edited:
Looks pretty nice to me! I love that they molded the Saturn V cans in quarters and not halves. And the hidden bonus details inside the eggs.

... And, yeah, they can do wonderful things with plastic nowadays. Multiple colors on the same sprue? That's nothing. You should see some of the Gundam skeletons: interlocked, moving parts molded around each other with two different colors on the same sprue...

Yes that's an awesome kit, the only modification I made was using real plastruct Tees to replace the ones that have a triangular section in the kit.
The details are gorgeous and the shape and proportions of the cockpit/body/engines are perfect !

Be careful in gluing the parts together and do things in the order the instructions give. Not sure about the Y-wing but the bandai Storm trooper kit was designed so that some parts, like the hands, can be pulled apart and the weapons changed out. I was building it in sub assemblies like a regular model kit only to find out it's more like a 3d puzzle than a regular model kit.

Be careful in gluing the parts together and do things in the order the instructions give. Not sure about the Y-wing but the bandai Storm trooper kit was designed so that some parts, like the hands, can be pulled apart and the weapons changed out. I was building it in sub assemblies like a regular model kit only to find out it's more like a 3d puzzle than a regular model kit.
Good point! I "built" the Bandai Stormtrooper as well (no glue) and I'm very impressed with its range of "poseablility."
Monsieur Tox said:
The details are gorgeous and the shape and proportions of the cockpit/body/engines are perfect !
Hey, Monsieur Tox -nice to hear from you again! How is your SS Red Four doing? Do you still have it? Do the wing motors still work?
Monsieur Tox said:
... the only modification I made was using real plastruct Tees to replace the ones that have a triangular section in the kit.
Excellent - I did not even notice that! May I ask which size plastruct T you used?

Getting back to the Bandai Y-Wing - one thing that was not neccesary was to mold the engine nozzles in a darker color (they are the same dark brown color as the cockpit interior). On most, if not all of the Y-Wings I've seen, the engine nozzles were the same color as the rest of the ship. These parts will have to be painted . . . I will post pictures when I start work. I'm still in the planning stages (want to install lights).

I'm also trying to figure out how to paint those tiny droids!

Last edited:
Yes that's an awesome kit, the only modification I made was using real plastruct Tees to replace the ones that have a triangular section in the kit.

Another mod should be shortening the "wings" so the engines are less far apart. Shouldn´t be a difficult mod since the Kettenrad parts on the wings are molded as seperate parts.

Another mod should be shortening the "wings" so the engines are less far apart. Shouldn´t be a difficult mod since the Kettenrad parts on the wings are molded as seperate parts.

Well to be honest I've checked against several straight ortho pics and the the wings are the correct width, I'm not sure what you mean Dan ?

1/48 scale Y-Wing!! 1/48 scale Y-Wing (trying to get a 'wave' going...)
Man, that looks nice...
Regards, Robert
sine_wave.gif
BIG Y-wing... Big Y-wing!!!

Please throw in a Blockade Runner and a Star Destroyer or two.

If the Y-wing is good enough for Julien, it's good enough for me.

Well to be honest I've checked against several straight ortho pics and the the wings are the correct width, I'm not sure what you mean Dan ?

I mean the wingspan is too big. I stole a picture by Adam Johnson from modeler magic (source: LINK) to show this.

Y-WING.jpg

For anyone not into simple math ;) , the lower ratio on the right side (Bandai model) means that the wingspan is too big if the fuselage lengths are the same.
Which pictures did you compare to Julien? I don´t think the other Ys have a bigger wingspan than the MOM Y in the picture above?

I don't have Photoshop with me now, but it looks like Tiger Sprocket may be a better match:

Y-WingTigerSprocket.jpg

Ok I did the same for tiger sprocket and gold leader and apparently there´s either some variation between the Ys, or the pictures are distorted or I´m incompetent at measuring. They indeed are better matches with ratios of 1.221 for tiger sprocket and 1.234 for gold leader, both just slightly higher than the Bandai model´s ratio. Still to my eye the Bandai model looks too wide, to me it´s clearly visible in the comparison picture to the MOM Y. I guess it comes down to personal taste and how picky you are, I´ll definately shorten the wings on my builds.

I won´t post the picture of gold leader because I was told better not to share it here since it´s a "secret" reference photo so I hope you believe my calculation. ;)

measurement3.jpg

I mean the wingspan is too big. I stole a picture by Adam Johnson from modeler magic (source: LINK) to show this.

View attachment 523584
A contributing factor to the variation might be that Gold Leader and Gold 2 were the "hero" studio models, whereas Gold 3 was reported to be a Pyro (different construction methods & molds). Also, there is bound to be some dimensional variation due to different photographic lenses uses, and the reproduction/printing process (regardless of whether it was a color print or printed in a book, and then scanned).

BTW: I too would buy some 1/48 scale Y-Wings if the quality was similar to the Fine Molds/Bandai types.

I would trust Bandai,....they have gotten everything pretty good so far,....they've corrected most of the miscalculations that FineMolds made

They do make some averages due to different scales of models,....I think they did something like that with the AT-ST,...but overall they make the best SW kits we've seen so far

Cant wait,....hopefully in a few days we see their attempt at the Falcon

J

Ok I did the same for tiger sprocket and gold leader and apparently there´s either some variation between the Ys, or the pictures are distorted or I´m incompetent at measuring. They indeed are better matches with ratios of 1.221 for tiger sprocket and 1.234 for gold leader, both just slightly higher than the Bandai model´s ratio. Still to my eye the Bandai model looks too wide, to me it´s clearly visible in the comparison picture to the MOM Y. I guess it comes down to personal taste and how picky you are, I´ll definately shorten the wings on my builds.

I won´t post the picture of gold leader because I was told better not to share it here since it´s a "secret" reference photo so I hope you believe my calculation. ;)

View attachment 523704

They used Gold leader as reference for sure (they even reproduced the crooked cockpit backplate, unfortunatly it is only like that on the right size on the original model). The proportions seem good to me, I would not use those ref pics as 100% trustable ref because of the lense distortion etc...

I really think there was no real distinction between hero and pyro for the ANH Y, they all seem to come from the same molds. The engines of all of them are resin, only Red Jammer has plastic saturn parts (and a different cockpit as well).

The trimming and assembling may have varied on all the build and I agree that some may be wider than te others, but I think it is a very accurate replica of Gold leader, 2 or 3 details or pipes are missing but nothing that can be scratched if wanted.

I think the cockpit profile is also very good, the best so far.

This kit is probably not perfect, but perfection does not exist, and it's darn close.

Actually it's even better in proportions and shape than the studio scale models...

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back