Popular RPF Pulse Posts:

25 Star Wars Gifts That Live Up to the Hype
10 Memorable Marvel T-Shirts That Make a Lasting Impression
Check Out These Incredible Fan Created Movie Posters!
Our Top Picks for the Must Buy Games of 2015
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Atlanta, Jawjuh
    Aug 24, 2015, 8:12 AM - Furiosa's Bionic Arm (Mad Max: Fury Road) - ACTUAL prosthetic! (FINISHED! 9-3) #1

Last year, I was talking with a friend of mine about some of our "holy grail" projects. I told him that it was one of my dream builds to make a T-800 Endo Arm, as an actual prosthetic for an amputee. You know the scene - in T2, Arnold cuts off the skin of his left arm to expose his robotic endoskeleton.

I told him how it would be a dream project to build an Endo Arm like in this scene, for someone who is missing a limb. I've met or been made aware of a few people over the years who used their unique body attributes in their costumes, but I never had the chance to connect with someone.

He said he wanted to introduce me to someone. This is Laura.

Laura is a left arm transradial amputee - meaning that she is missing her left arm below the elbow - since birth. She's also really into cosplay, and living in Atlanta, she has been a "featured zombie" on The Walking Dead. You've probably seen her in the shambling hordes.

After we met I told her about my idea and what we could do, and she was enthusiastic. I felt really lucky because this really was one of my dream projects. She said she had done a few costumes in the past that incorporated her arm, but nothing really to the scale of what we planned. The idea was to 3D print a CAD design for the Endo Arm and possibly wire it up with some sensors and servos to make the fingers open and close. It was going to be a fun and really challenging build, and I was really looking forward to getting it started.

And then, Mad Max: Fury Road came out and changed everything.

You might have read Laura's blog post on her Tumblr that went viral a couple weeks after Fury Road hit theaters. Needless to say, Laura connected with Furiosa on many levels. Most importantly, she decided she had to cosplay as her.

Cosplay as her immediately, that is. This is her at MomoCon, a convention here in Atlanta, only a couple weeks after Fury Road's release. Needless to say, she was excited.

We had a short conversation and I asked her permission to build her the Furiosa arm as a real actual prosthetic, much like we were going to do for the T-800 Endo Arm and she couldn't have been more thrilled. Our plan was to finish it for Dragon Con 2015. Needless to say, I was excited too.

During our planning for the Terminator Endo Arm project, I took a 3D scan of her using an Xbox Kinnect and a software called Scannect. It allows you to easily get a rough 3D scan of someone or an object. It's not high enough detail to look photo realistic, but it's enough to get basic proportions. I use this myself to scale Pepakura files and do other digital sculpting. We tried getting a 3D scan of her arm and the results were alright. Really it was just enough to use for scaling and "subtracting" her arm from the Endo Arm model.

When we shifted gears to Furiosa, I decided the first thing to do was to get a plaster cast of her arm - The prosthetic would have to actually fit her, and there was no way for me to "try on" the prop myself while building it. After an afternoon at the shop, I had one of the weirdest casts I've ever made, but it was exactly what we needed!

At this point I got a lot of help from @MrGreene who took a higher detail 3D scan, and assisted by creating the 3D model used for the build. Laura and I agreed that we should 3D print the arm to cut down on as much weight as possible. I was worried that if it was too heavy that she wouldn't be able to lift it, or she would become fatigued after wearing it for a short period.

The pieces were 3D printed on my home 3D printer, as well as the printers at Freeside Atlanta, the non-profit hackerspace that I work out of. After a few long prints, everything was ready to be cleaned up and assembled.

The process of cleaning up a 3D printed prop is pretty simple - rough sand the surface to get rid of some of the print lines, then (in the case of an ABS print) use "ABS sludge" - a thick mixture of acetone and ABS - to coat the surface. This acts like a body filler and will help fill in the remaining gaps, but as the acetone evaporates, the ABS bonds to itself, so you have a single rigid object. The part is then sanded with a finer grit sandpaper, and coated in spot putty to fill in any remaining pits or print lines. After that dries, the excess is sanded off, and then primed for painting.

After 2 days of work, that leaves the project where it is now. I'll be finishing up filling the gaps where the fingers were attached, and prepping the main body of the arm for paint. I'm going to start sourcing some of the mechanical bits - springs and push rods for the supporting rods of the arm - so everything can be assembled. I also am going to source the tubes running from the shoulder pad down to the arm, and we'll be doing the leather work next weekend.

Witness.
    Last edited by msleeper; Sep 3, 2015 at 2:12 PM.
  2. RPF Premium Member EmmaInCandyland's Avatar
    From
    France & Scotland
    Aug 24, 2015, 8:30 AM - Re: Furiosa's Bionic Arm (Mad Max: Fury Road) - ACTUAL prosthetic! #2

That is just AMAZING!!!!!
  3. Member Since
    Apr 2015
    From
    Ireland
    Aug 24, 2015, 9:22 AM - Re: Furiosa's Bionic Arm (Mad Max: Fury Road) - ACTUAL prosthetic! #3

This is so cool! cant wait to see the finished item!
  4. RPF Premium Member Sundowner's Avatar
    From
    Shadow
    Aug 24, 2015, 11:53 AM - Re: Furiosa's Bionic Arm (Mad Max: Fury Road) - ACTUAL prosthetic! #4

That is awesome!
    From
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Aug 24, 2015, 12:17 PM - Re: Furiosa's Bionic Arm (Mad Max: Fury Road) - ACTUAL prosthetic! #5

this is not only super cool and awesome, but also very nice to do
    You are my new hero ^^
    From
    Atlanta, GA
    Aug 24, 2015, 1:22 PM - Re: Furiosa's Bionic Arm (Mad Max: Fury Road) - ACTUAL prosthetic! #6

I love this idea. **Subscribed!**
  7. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    From
    IA, USA
    Aug 24, 2015, 3:33 PM - Re: Furiosa's Bionic Arm (Mad Max: Fury Road) - ACTUAL prosthetic! #7

Man, if only the hand and fingers could move!
  8. Member Since
    Oct 2014
    Aug 24, 2015, 3:52 PM - Re: Furiosa's Bionic Arm (Mad Max: Fury Road) - ACTUAL prosthetic! #8

Can't wait to see how this turns out
    From
    Jacksonville. Fl
    Aug 24, 2015, 5:38 PM - Re: Furiosa's Bionic Arm (Mad Max: Fury Road) - ACTUAL prosthetic! #9

bravo! thumbs up time's Infinity...Nice to know there are good people left In the world...
  10. RPF Premium Member msleeper's Avatar
    From
    Atlanta, Jawjuh
    Aug 24, 2015, 5:44 PM - Re: Furiosa's Bionic Arm (Mad Max: Fury Road) - ACTUAL prosthetic! #10

Thanks everyone for all of the love, it's really motivating! =)

PoopaPapaPalps said: View Post
    Man, if only the hand and fingers could move!
    Ideally, eventually, that's the plan. I'm not even done building this one and I can already tell I want to make another, and do it differently. Time got away from us unfortunately, so for now I'm just making a static hand.

Of course, the question then becomes "well how do you make it move". The palm is big enough that if I were to rotocast it out of something light weight, I could stuff an Arduino and some servos in there... But what I mean is, how do I make Laura be able to control it? For the T-800 project, I was going to play with a flex sensor in her elbow, so that the Endo Arm would open and close it's fingers when she bent her arm. We're going to do some tests to see if we can get a microswitch inside of the arm cup to activate, so that she can open and close it that way.
  11. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    From
    IA, USA
    Aug 24, 2015, 6:41 PM - Re: Furiosa's Bionic Arm (Mad Max: Fury Road) - ACTUAL prosthetic! #11

I had an idea to do it mechanically using springs and wires. Unfortunately, it would only be able to open and close as far as having movements.
  12. RPF Premium Member spoudastis's Avatar
    From
    Oakland, CA
    Aug 24, 2015, 7:14 PM - Re: Furiosa's Bionic Arm (Mad Max: Fury Road) - ACTUAL prosthetic! #12

WOW! Very impressive.
    Aug 24, 2015, 7:40 PM - Re: Furiosa's Bionic Arm (Mad Max: Fury Road) - ACTUAL prosthetic! #13

This is just fantastic! Thank you for doing this! I had a terrible past few days, and this is making me smile so much!

Also, I'm going to Dragon Con as Max. Would love to do a meetup/photoshoot if possible. Because OMG fantastic!
  14. RPF Premium Member msleeper's Avatar
    From
    Atlanta, Jawjuh
    Aug 25, 2015, 7:02 AM - Re: Furiosa's Bionic Arm (Mad Max: Fury Road) - ACTUAL prosthetic! #14

Yesterday I laser cut the mesh for the fingers. It was cut out of 3mm acrylic and heated with a heat gun, and then bent to shape around the fingers. I wound up cutting it off too short on both the upper fingers, so I had to remake it after this photo was taken.

Later tonight I will give it a rough sand and then hit it with primer, and they're basically ready for paint.

I eyeballed the mesh size and pattern, but for the next version I think I am going to make the holes slightly smaller and slightly increase their distance apart. I think it's too closely packed to match what's in the film.

I also grabbed and started molding the two wrenches, the tiny one on the pinky and the one on the inner arm support. I'll cast these out of Foam-IT so they will be very light weight. Also so that I can throw foam wrenches at my friends and say "if you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!"

More updates on Wednesday.

jackwabbit said: View Post
    This is just fantastic! Thank you for doing this! I had a terrible past few days, and this is making me smile so much!

Also, I'm going to Dragon Con as Max. Would love to do a meetup/photoshoot if possible. Because OMG fantastic!
    Definitely! Send me a PM and I'll shoot you my cell number. There is a big Mad Max photo shoot at some point, I think Saturday? I know she'll be there and I'll probably be in tow in case I need to make any spot repairs to the arm. Also because I want to watch people freak in response to the prosthetic.
    From
    Ottawa, Canada
    Aug 25, 2015, 7:10 AM - Re: Furiosa's Bionic Arm (Mad Max: Fury Road) - ACTUAL prosthetic! #15

This is amazing and seriously impressive so far. I can't wait to see it finished!
  16. Member Since
    May 2015
    Aug 25, 2015, 10:05 AM - Re: Furiosa's Bionic Arm (Mad Max: Fury Road) - ACTUAL prosthetic! #16

Love it! You could probably start a business or do some sort of charity drive with this skill.
    Aug 25, 2015, 12:55 PM - Re: Furiosa's Bionic Arm (Mad Max: Fury Road) - ACTUAL prosthetic! #17

msleeper said: View Post
    Yesterday I laser cut the mesh for the fingers. It was cut out of 3mm acrylic and heated with a heat gun, and then bent to shape around the fingers. I wound up cutting it off too short on both the upper fingers, so I had to remake it after this photo was taken.

http://i.imgur.com/5ErgZBTh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OMYSJX6h.jpg

Later tonight I will give it a rough sand and then hit it with primer, and they're basically ready for paint.

I eyeballed the mesh size and pattern, but for the next version I think I am going to make the holes slightly smaller and slightly increase their distance apart. I think it's too closely packed to match what's in the film.

http://i.imgur.com/9f0dxbGh.png

I also grabbed and started molding the two wrenches, the tiny one on the pinky and the one on the inner arm support. I'll cast these out of Foam-IT so they will be very light weight. Also so that I can throw foam wrenches at my friends and say "if you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!"

http://i.imgur.com/dI1nYsFh.jpg

More updates on Wednesday.

Definitely! Send me a PM and I'll shoot you my cell number. There is a big Mad Max photo shoot at some point, I think Saturday? I know she'll be there and I'll probably be in tow in case I need to make any spot repairs to the arm. Also because I want to watch people freak in response to the prosthetic.
    That's completely fair! You deserve props for your props! And will do ASAP. Thanks!
  18. RPF Premium Member msleeper's Avatar
    From
    Atlanta, Jawjuh
    Aug 27, 2015, 2:20 PM - Re: Furiosa's Bionic Arm (Mad Max: Fury Road) - ACTUAL prosthetic! #18

More progress. Tuesday I lost a bit of time as I had to do some filming with a local TV station.

I cut out and reshaped the new finger grilles, then hit them with primer.

Then everything got a base coat of matte silver.

That's drying now, then I'll go over it lightly with a darker metallic for the lowlights. This weekend I'm going to be getting the leather for the strapping, and putting together the greeblies and other support rods. Then next week doing weathering and detail painting and rust!

MaddyLikesProps said: View Post
    Love it! You could probably start a business or do some sort of charity drive with this skill.
    Thanks, but I am in the prop world as a hobby. I'm sure I could do it as a business if I tried, but I'm really happy spending my free time doing this sort of thing. I know more than a couple people who did the whole "quit your day job" thing, and I'm happy that they're happy, but the 7 day work week thing isn't for me. I do runs of things occasionally, but it's more of a self funding hobby type thing rather than trying to pay my rent selling space guns.

Plus, I have discovered I am very fulfilled doing education type things, and I've been doing more teaching classes and sharing knowledge. If anything I'd do more of that.
  19. RPF Premium Member msleeper's Avatar
    From
    Atlanta, Jawjuh
    Aug 31, 2015, 12:55 PM - Re: Furiosa's Bionic Arm (Mad Max: Fury Road) - ACTUAL prosthetic! #19

Laura came in for a test fitting, and for us to size and finish the strapping system for the arm.

Today I'll finish up the pauldron, and the last bits for the hand, then we're pretty much done.
  20. RPF Premium Member EmmaInCandyland's Avatar
    From
    France & Scotland
    Aug 31, 2015, 1:06 PM - Re: Furiosa's Bionic Arm (Mad Max: Fury Road) - ACTUAL prosthetic! (Update 8-31) #20

Will you add all of the pumps around the hand too?
  21. Member Since
    Sep 2015
    Sep 3, 2015, 10:30 AM - Re: Furiosa's Bionic Arm (Mad Max: Fury Road) - ACTUAL prosthetic! (Update 8-31) #21

This is JUST the kind of information I've been looking for! I, like Laura was born without the better part of my left arm and was looking for the resources to actually DIY this for Halloween. I'm not sure how to go about it, or if this is a one-of-a-kind project but I'd be way into contacting someone. I've got a prosthetic I use for the gym and have all the tools and pieces and parts, but a 3D printed appendage would be A. More feasible and B. Probably not a hunk of heavy junk...anyone have a contact for the folks doing this? I'm new to this forum...😅
    From
    Cheboygan, MI
    Sep 3, 2015, 1:11 PM - Re: Furiosa's Bionic Arm (Mad Max: Fury Road) - ACTUAL prosthetic! (Update 8-31) #22

This is my new favorite thread on the RPF. Great work!!! Can't wait to see more.
  23. RPF Premium Member msleeper's Avatar
    From
    Atlanta, Jawjuh
    Sep 3, 2015, 2:06 PM - Re: Furiosa's Bionic Arm (Mad Max: Fury Road) - ACTUAL prosthetic! (Update 8-31) #23

It's been a mad dash for Dragon Con, and I didn't get as many in progress photos as I'd like. But here's the project now - finished and ready for delivery.

For the support pistons, I used some 6mm fiberglass rod laying around the shop, and 3D printed connecting joints for them. Those were then bolted on to the 3D printed arm, giving the wrist a range of motion. In other words - Laura will be able to pose the wrist.

The 2 wrenches came out really well. The small one was attached to the pinky finger, and the other was wrapped tightly to one of the support rods with some leather cord. Fun fact: I believe the leather cord is there to cover up the manufacturer of whatever wrench the prop crew cast off of, because it's placement is exactly where you would expect to read "SNAP-ON" or something. So, I followed suit and covered up the name with the leather.

Then it was on to weathering, which is my favorite part of any project. I did a few light washes in black and various tones of yellow, orange, and brown, but I wiped most off it away to keep it looking metallic. The movie has an orange filter applied to most of it, so I relied on B-roll and behind the scenes photos for true to life colors. The arm isn't rusted as much as it is worn down and dirty, but I did apply some light rust around the bolts that connect the finger grilles and the other hardware attachments.

The shoulder was laser cut out of EVA foam, and was designed just from looking at stills from the film. The actual shoulder armor appears to be leather, so I tried to mimic the overlapping section in the back. It looks alright. There is what appears to be a model plane engine on the front, so I grabbed a random DC motor from the shelf and glued that in. The pull strap I quickly 3D printed based off of product photos for a weed wacker. Then the whole thing was weathered as well.

There are 3 cables connecting the shoulder to the arm - a braided metal hose, a clear/yellow tinted tube, and a brake cable. I got similar looking things of each and bolted them on to the arm, and attached them on to the shoulder end.

She also wanted me to make the belt buckle emblem, which I quickly (perhaps too quickly...) 3D printed up, and cleaned and weathered.

I was also working on the group Colonial Marines & Xenos project, and between those 2 I needed a break. So I went to a simple project and built a box to hold the prop, and to deliver to Laura. She doesn't know I built the display, so I'm hoping she likes it (and isn't reading this thread!).

So, that seems to be it. Today I'll be meeting her to deliver the arm and do some final fitting. She'll be at the Mad Max: Fury Road photoshoot at Dragon Con, and I'll probably be with her with a bag full of replacement bolts in case anything slips off.

Hope to see you guys there.

- - - Updated - - -

Cakebolen said: View Post
    This is JUST the kind of information I've been looking for! I, like Laura was born without the better part of my left arm and was looking for the resources to actually DIY this for Halloween. I'm not sure how to go about it, or if this is a one-of-a-kind project but I'd be way into contacting someone. I've got a prosthetic I use for the gym and have all the tools and pieces and parts, but a 3D printed appendage would be A. More feasible and B. Probably not a hunk of heavy junk...anyone have a contact for the folks doing this? I'm new to this forum...
    Please send me a PM on my Facebook page. I'd love to work with you on this.

https://www.facebook.com/OverworldDesigns
  24. RPF Premium Member EmmaInCandyland's Avatar
    From
    France & Scotland
    Sep 3, 2015, 5:33 PM - Re: Furiosa's Bionic Arm (Mad Max: Fury Road) - ACTUAL prosthetic! (FINISHED! 9-3) #24

Stunning work, and you made a box for it, awesomeness!!
    From
    Florida
    Sep 3, 2015, 10:37 PM - Re: Furiosa's Bionic Arm (Mad Max: Fury Road) - ACTUAL prosthetic! (FINISHED! 9-3) #25

Wow , this is hella awesome !