Graflex "A New Hope" Build

history Hunter

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm not a prop collector, but the father of a 4-year-old who has re-ignited my interest in Star Wars. I've been hesitant to introduce him to the movies due to the violence (and of course, the question of what order to introduce him, looms large in my future). But we have been watching Star Wars Rebels, and he's absolutely in LOVE with the Star Wars world. Just about everything in my house that's sword-shaped (or has batteries) has become a light saber. After having recently purchased us a pair of kick-butt sabers from Ultra Sabers, I decided to build a hero prop. Honestly, I'm telling myself (and my wife) that this is for him, but who are we kidding? It's for me! Next to Heather Locklear, it was my childhood dream to have one of these. So here I am, aged 44, with disposable income, and nothing else to do on a Saturday night but ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321835703447?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Thanks to a couple of members of this forum, I've started down the path of the dark side ... I will update you on my "build." Also, one of you suggested I hadn't purchased the right Graflex ... please confirm for me if this is the case. I'm on the hunt for another one if that's the case. Wish me luck people, and please pray that I don't get the "saber collecting bug" (okay in 3 weeks, I've already purchased 3). Ugh ...

Attachments

• saber1.jpg
    saber1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 292
It'll be fine for an ANH version since it has the correct knurling on the button and has a glass eye.

Good luck and have fun!

Looks like a fine specimen. Enjoy the build, it is addictive so you may wind up building the entire OT collection before you're done.

Seems there are a couple of camps on the graflex lightsabers... As far as I'm concerned, if it's vintage graflex (not graflite holiday special) you are in Luke Lightsaber territory...

But there are those who get right down to the "Folmer" stamp on the bottom, which I haven't looked toooo deeply into, cuz it just starts getting crazy.

Though in ANH, I don't think there's ever a moment that you could see a "Folmer" tag, so I have no idea why someone would say you have the wrong one. (but there are loooong threads talking about the tiniest of detail, so who knows, heh)

ALL that said, I think it looks great, and welcome to the club! I'm sure your "kid" will enjoy waving it around, as he imagines saving Heather Locklear from the Death Star. :D

What do you mean? There are only 3 movies. Just show him in the order they were released: A New Hope, Empire, Jedi.

Yeah... I mean I saw them: A New Hope, Jedi, Empire... and I came out okay... But the best would be in order "as released".

Now... If... IF you want to show your kid the other three... most of us won't judge you too harshly... and I wouldn't recommend it... BUT if you must... the suggested order is:

Holiday Special, Caravan of Courage, and Battle for Endor.

Last edited:
I just watched ANH, Empire, & Jedi (in that order, in three nights) with my 5 year old niece. Talk about magic! I've seen them countless times, but to get to see them through the eyes of a child... priceless.
& she loved them! Darth Vader was scary, Chewbacca was a loveable fuzz ball (& she was a tad upset he didn't rip a Stormtroopers arm off during the movies), 3P0 & R2 were funny, Han & Luke were neat, Princess Leia was awesome. She laughed at the jokes, held onto my arm during the tense "will they make it" scenes, she was sad when Obi-Wan & Yoda died, was shocked COMPLETELY when Vader said he was Luke's father, ect. She loved all of it. & seeing them with her made them magical, for me, again.
I envy you, history Hunter, & the experience you will soon have watching these with your son. You'll know when he's ready to see them. But, let him experience it by going through it. Don't tell him what's "around the corner". My niece would ask with wonderment "what's gonna happen next?" & I would only answer her, "We'll have to watch & see". & she got it. The highs, the lows, & the scary in betweens.
& now my brother says she's a Star Wars fan. My work, as an Uncle, is done.

Last edited:
Re: Graflex "A New Hope" Build

Okay first ... I want to say how encouraging it is to find a forum filled with actual nice people. In my industry, I've had actual forums dedicated to how evil I am ... ugh, don't get me started. Anyway, here are some photo updates. Got the Graflex in today (shows light age, which I like), and also got my calculator in today. Here are some pics. Here is the saber out of the box.

saber1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here it is next to the calculator, which came at exactly the same time.

saber2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a pic of my son massively enjoying it at Starbucks (I met his mom and he, after school). The Starbucks guy saw my son with it, and said "Wow, is that a light saber." And it doesn't even have the T-track installed yet!

saber3.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, my son was absolutely over the moon to be holding it. I was tempted to tell him it was real, but simply out of batteries, but cooler heads (meaning, my wife) prevailed, and I had to tell him what it was. The funny thing is, he didn't believe me. He was like "Daddy, that's real." Anyway, here's the next pic. One more glam shot of the calculator and Graflex, before I did anything.

saber4.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, a working model! I couldn't resist putting batteries in it, just to see it work one last time.

saber5.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And, here's the calculator disassembled, before removal of the bubble-plastic thingie. Tomorrow, I'll trim the piece, and set it in place. Any advice on this process? Of course, I'm still waiting on my "kit" which consists of T-track, the rivets and belt hanger, and a fake bubble-thingie (obviously, that goes in the drawer for a 2nd build).

saber6.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Also, yes ... I'm addicted. I'm looking for another one now. In the words of that guy on "Contact" the movie ... why build one, when you can build 2?

Last edited:
That Graflex looks great! I can see the thrill in the young Jedi's eyes as he wields it!

Careful to not post links to auctions that are still live (it is against the forum rules). Plus some lurking Sith may try to snatch it out of your grasp!

That's what I like about a Graflex. Anybody who has seen Star Wars will recognize a Graflex for what it really is: A lightsaber.
And this feeling holding this real world thing in hands is worth so much.

Oh mAn am I jealous! GRAFLEX & an Exactra? I will be living vicariously through you sir :thumbsup, keep up the good work, & please keep posting.
I like the little bit of wear on the GRAFLEX, makes it feel more real. Star Wars is supposed to be used & lived in.

That 'guy' was S.R. Hadden from Hadden Industries, Ltd. ... so what's next ESB lightsaber? :lol I warned you beforehand ... this prop collecting is quite an addiction and needs deep pockets these days :wacko

Chaim

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back