Han Solo - Star Wars- A New Hope Laser Blaster - Hyper Accurate DL-44 Replica

kpax

Sr Member
Hello all Star Wars and Han Solo blaster lovers...

I have been asked to post links and images of my Han Solo replica Blaster build made from DEC (Dark Energy Creations) and MGC c-96 Mauser parts in case anyone wanted to use them for reference material.

The project was started in January 2011 with RPF member Deadbolt. We set out to find answers and details never before known about the original ANH Han Solo blaster prop and build an accurate kit for RPF members.

The following images are the culmination of over 4 years of research and development by many RPF members ending with an ongoing discussion of over 3300 posts and 133 pages! THE SEARCH GOES ON !

What we ended up with was a Hyper Accurate parts kit based on newly found greeblies original parts as well as endless 2d drawings and images from many RPF members and 3d model builds by Deadbolt.

There are comparison overlays which show, IMO, that the accompanying photos are as near an identical photographic match to the original prop as possible.

I attempted to make my rendition of the prop a exact "duplicate" of the screen used A New Hope blaster prop as used by as Han Solo, so I decided to duplicate the final post production - last know images of the prop in the same condition as it was last held by Harrison Ford in 1976.* with every Mauser marking and proof mark, HW Scope markings, scratch, ding and surface detail blemish as seen in the available production images. Some of the work includes the asymmetric scope mount risers, Naked Runner Bull barrel latch and removable recoil booster, Carson's Lump, Real c-96 hammer with correct serial # markings and corrected safety and much more.

I include comparison images of the actual prop and of my replica as well as detail images in color to show what the actual real prop may have looked like in person...in 1976.

Thanks for looking.

KPAX...
REAL PROP AND REPRO IN B&W

Dam you photobucket!
Had to replace images...

B&W compare real HERO to Replica

Full color side views of replica

Dark Energy Creations DEC - Dark Energy Creations - Powered by Network Solutions.

RPF Blaster super thread - ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

UPDATE : I found my images and decided to upload them here since they were blocked by PhotoBucket.

2-TheStarWars-LaserGun-LEFT-color-POST-enhanced_zpsd093339d.JPG
1-TheStarWars-LaserGun-RIGHT-color-POST-enhanced_zpsee2dd02a.JPG

original and replica- not sure which is which... ; )
blaster right hero vs replica .JPG
blaster left hero vs replica BampW best_zpsgsoiezgo.JPG

a892eb6a-8c72-4796-b245-e429fa34a133_zps8alhgkgc (1).JPG
d5c33fba-cafc-4a73-9db5-85f37ee74341_zpsnrsemyur (1).JPG
244ee60e-d0dc-4a55-9945-d4c51c905f1f_zps06ugtkpy (1).JPG
blasterrearright_zpsc2dccddc.JPG
blasterLEFTREARCUenhanced_zps506e4f8b.JPG
blasterLeftFHboosteroffenhanced_zps964499aa.JPG
blaster RIGHTScopeMount FH and Booster OFF enhanced_zpsuecr5sns.JPG
blasterTOPLFETenhanced_zps4e5d81d7.JPG
TheStarWars-LaserGun-LEFTREARcolorenhanced_zps560b5a3e.JPG
blasterLEFTREARenhanced_zpscb5e5bdd.JPG
blasterthreadedmuzzelenhanced_zps4fafa68f.JPG
blasterLEFTREARCUHammerSafetyenhanced_zps5b4ff6c8.JPG
blasterundersiderightcolorenhanced_zps833b1aa1.JPG
blastertopsightcucolorenhanced_zps2a1f84c4.JPG
3-TheStarWars-LaserGun-TOPcolor-POST-enhanced_zpsca411fdb.JPG
4-TheStarWars-LaserGun-right-BaptyampCodressedasdelivered_zpsdab325d8.JPG
5-TheStarWars-LaserGun-left-BaptyampCo-dressedasdelivered_zpsa51ac017.JPG
blasterfrontsightphotoproof-caseclosedcopy_zpsfb855dc3.JPG
blasterLEFTFHoff_zpse592a562.JPG

blaster ps anh detail.jpg

Attachments

• blaster right hero vs replica B&W enhanced.jpg
    blaster right hero vs replica B&W enhanced.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4,699
  • 1- The Star Wars - Laser Gun - RIGHT - color-POST-enhanced.jpg
    1- The Star Wars - Laser Gun - RIGHT - color-POST-enhanced.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 817
  • 2 - The Star Wars - Laser Gun - LEFT - color - POST- enhanced.jpg
    2 - The Star Wars - Laser Gun - LEFT - color - POST- enhanced.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,224
Last edited:
The title of this post lives up to its name. Congratulations on the completion of your build. I do have a question regarding a ANH Hero DL44. Did the live fire Mauser have the "Mauser" emblem and German lettering on the sides? Looking at reference pictures I can't tell.

Thanks!
Yes the lettering markings are there on the original prop and duplicated on my MGC as seen below. There are no other emblems on this version of the c-96 .The main marking are covered by the scope mount crossbar and the W and O can just be seen on the pre-production (unfinished ANH prop ) image below. FYI, the scope mount is reversed here as well. In as used form it is as my model. In these images you can see the scratches and markings better as well as the odd "Carson's Lump" which we assume is a welding fix at the rear of the receiver just in front of the charging bolt. I also re-cut the tang sight thumb knurl which you can see in the image below. Some details changed and were added in production due to damage most likely, such as the grip gouges seen in the Black and White post production images above.

real%20hero%20both%20sides%20color%20sized%20copy_zps4pcjj0zp.jpg

blaster%20RIGHTScopeMount%20FH%20and%20Booster%20OFF%20enhanced_zpsuecr5sns.jpg

Last edited:
Truly amazing! Thanks for posting! And good timing for me too. I FINALLY found a good MGC Mauser last week and it's being shipped to me now. I can't wait!

I'm curious, did you use the DEC aluminum flash hider or the limited run DEC steel one? I have both, I'm curious if you feel more strongly about one over the other?

I used the all steel and brass kit, but also customized them and made custom parts that are a bit different to match the used condition of the HERO prop.

The Kits are done to be "pristine and perfected".

All the versions are the same cosmetically. Same dimensions and accuracy...just different materials for cost.

My MGC is also very modified.

By the way, DEC is doing another run of Aluminum and cast parts...and also a limited run of STEEL parts!

Your blaster gets more gorgeous every time I see it. Again, wonderful work, Pat!

That there is the greatest replica ANH blaster ever built.

-Carson

Hi kpax,

first: Thank you very much for all the effort you put into the researches. You and the other members have done such an incredible job, that gives guys like me the opportunity to build our own blasters as accurate as we are able to do.

And by looking at your blaster here, I still can't believe that this is actually based on a MGC C96! How did you achieved that perfect blueing look if I might ask? As far as I know the MGC C96 is made of aluminium alloy, right?

Thanks for the kind words !

The MGC and Denix are made of Zamac...same as most die cast metal stuff.

It is mostly Zinc and can be cold blued with standard gun bluing. There are many tips in the below thread and others as well.

Just gotta clean it and follow the instructions for bluing metal. Several coats may be needed. I applied color and weathered it and applied several more times until I got the well worn look I wanted.

I also did a lot of custom work to the frame for more accurate Mauser details including all the etched markings and correct serial number and real c96 hammer etc.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=118186

There are parts available for the ANH and now the new TFA blaster kits if you are looking to build one...or two !

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=250942
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=220734
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=250942

Good luck !

Yeah, I already read about the customizing work you did on the MGC. Really amazing!

Thanks for the information! I always thought Aluminium Black from Birchwood Casey would be the only option if you don't want to use paint.

Hey ! Thanks for looking so close !

Actually mine does have the asymmetric scope angles and even the off center scope mount window...if you look close.

But the reason the gap looks so much bigger on the real hero is that it is missing the rear tang sight release button !

I was not entirely sure if it was actually missing from the HERO or just cut off in the photograph. The inner part is visible from the LEFT side so I left mine on.

It is very difficult to match the angles and photographic look of the original without the correct equipment.

Tried to get close but with digital cameras it's tough to duplicate the field of the original 50-55mm lens and 35mm film.

At different distances the angles and forced perspective changes dramatically. I tried to match the angles as best I could but you really don't know how close you got until you see it on a monitor and compare.

The lighting was also very difficult. I tried studio spot lights and reflectors but found natural sunlight worked best...of course I had to wait for the sun to be a approximately the same angle for the shadows to be close.

Not perfect but close enough for me...for now... ; )

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back