Logan's Run ---- Life Clock

The images I was referring to were screencaps of the movie.
logans-run(1976)_0889croppoint 04.jpglogans-run(1976)_2433crop.jpglogans-run(1976)_3038crop.jpglogans-run(1976)_3041crop.jpg

View attachment 585876

SiR's images look soft. The center four petals don't have much definition. I think my design has more detail in some respects.

And maybe you ARE seeing something I'm not. :) Because it's translucent instead of solid, it is hard to make out detail.

hmmm.....I can see an occasional facet that is shining directly at the camera....but it's just too blurry to get much helpful information.

I will be printing at iMaterialise this time. Their acrylic is a bit more smooth. I believe the final product will have a more glossy smooth finish
than the Shapeways product. This is a joint project, if you want to make changes, by all means, describe the changes. I will make them. :)

Without actually seeing a printed crystal, it would be silly to try to make any changes. Like I said a post or two ago, I really like the way the illustration looks. I am wondering about how SiR mounted the LED and if it can work with this one though. It comes down to whether or not folks want a crystal that lights up.

hmmm.....I can see an occasional facet that is shining directly at the camera....but it's just too blurry to get much helpful information.

I will be printing at iMaterialise this time. Their acrylic is a bit more smooth. I believe the final product will have a more glossy smooth finish
than the Shapeways product. This is a joint project, if you want to make changes, by all means, describe the changes. I will make them. :)

Hello again,
I think Jintosh's image is nearly spot-on - the only difference I can see is that the little circular 'blobs' round the outside are actually more like elongated facets on my (admittedly worn down) examples. And, to answer Narvik's question earlier, no I never graduated the definition on the various colours to represent wear and tear during a 30-year lifetime - I simply didn't have the ability!

The following pictures are more shots of my recasts and also some screenshots which very clearly show the latex appliance used whenever a flashing Crystal was shown. However, I believe that every other life-clock was simply glued to the actors palm. I've also included one very good close-up of the red crystal structure which I found on the Internet - possibly on this website - a long time ago - and so, once again, I apologise if I am showing someone else's work without proper credit but feel that the image is very relevant to this discussion.
Simonimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 71
  • image.png
    image.png
    706.6 KB · Views: 99
Sorry, I am not good at attachments and I do not know how to get rid of those unnecessary thumbnails at the bottom of my last post.

Last edited:
Regarding the latex appliances, it is pretty obvious that the lastday group have the wires running into the robes whilst Logan has them running over his thumb web:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 93
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    18.7 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
As for this image from the internet, I strongly believe (having looked closely image.jpeg at my examples which are meant to be 'recasts of recasts of an original') that, if you take this design and make the edges sharply angular at each facet rather than round, you will have a very accurate impression of the screen worn lifeclocks.

Last edited:
Without actually seeing a printed crystal, it would be silly to try to make any changes. Like I said a post or two ago, I really like the way the illustration looks. I am wondering about how SiR mounted the LED and if it can work with this one though. It comes down to whether or not folks want a crystal that lights up.

Should the ovals between petals be more elongated / thinner ? If we're good, I can order a crystal.

Not sure if this will make sense but here we go, After looking at all the images, I am thinking if the ovals are 'sharpened', like the diamond shapes in the center but rounded tips at the two ends. Does this make sense to you? The only illustration program I have is Paint and I draw like I'm using a brick.

Should the ovals between petals be more elongated / thinner ? If we're good, I can order a crystal.

View attachment 585863

So, do we want something more like this with sharper facets ?

I'm using a very primitive iPhone drawing application but, if you look at my very amatuerish manipulation of the 12 o clock 'blob' on your working diagram Jindoshimage.jpeg, it shows you what I am seeing when I look closely at my own crystals:

All the best,
Simon

Actually gentlemen, I have just had a rethink and below are a close-up of my very degraded, matt black lifeclock and also a couple of hastily hand-drawn sketches of what I think I freshly cast life Clock would have looked like in 1976. Being hastily hand drawn, the large facets are obviously not 100% accurate:image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Not sure if this will make sense but here we go, After looking at all the images, I am thinking if the ovals are 'sharpened', like the diamond shapes in the center but rounded tips at the two ends. Does this make sense to you? The only illustration program I have is Paint and I draw like I'm using a brick.

Yeah, I have an early meeting tomorrow, but maybe I can tackle it in the evening sometime.

19narvik40 has volunteered to do a run, but it is conditional on being able to use his friends vacuum chamber.

The Shapeways product is not perfectly clear and slightly "frosty" instead of smooth. I will likely try iMaterialise for a smoother finish, but they want around $40 for a 3D printed crystal.

19narvik40 has volunteered to do a run, but it is conditional on being able to use his friends vacuum chamber.

The Shapeways product is not perfectly clear and slightly "frosty" instead of smooth. I will likely try iMaterialise for a smoother finish, but they want around $40 for a 3D printed crystal.

holly smokes. little pricey for something so small.

That is the reality of Shapeways Sean.

jintosh and I are hoping to work together on this. He'd design and print a crystal as a 'master' and I would make a mold and cast them in clear/tinted resin. Part of the discussion he and I are having is whether or not we can incorporate lighting and power into the crystal. A very great deal depends on the final size of the master.

holly smokes. little pricey for something so small.

That is the reality of Shapeways Sean.

jintosh and I are hoping to work together on this. He'd design and print a crystal as a 'master' and I would make a mold and cast them in clear/tinted resin. Part of the discussion he and I are having is whether or not we can incorporate lighting and power into the crystal. A very great deal depends on the final size of the master.

Yep! RPF's love there blinky flashy.:lol hope everything works out. :thumbsup

RE Shapeways prints, I think that you will find that part of their cost is like a "get it ready to print" cost, that doesn't include the cost of the material. It would be interesting to see how expensive it would be to have mesh for 4 crystals in the model you upload, rather than a single crystal. Since they will send you a quote, you can try it out before printing to see how much money you save.

I also recommend i.materialize. They offer a truly transparent print material (some type of resin) with much higher detail that what you can achieve with Shapeways' semi-transparent material, and I had my 2-inch crystal printed for the same price as your 1-inch crystal. Plus, they offer numerous color tints for the transparent materials.

Since this object is a master, you might consider getting them to print something in a very high detail, less expensive opaque material.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back