Logan's Run ---- Life Clock

Re: Logan's Run -------------------------- Life Clock

crystal 20.jpg

Ah. Found it. Yes, even the top surface appears concave. Slightly.

Crystal 4.jpg

It's hard to tell, but it is slightly concave. I also adjusted the shape of some of the petals to improve accuracy.

I think I'm ready to send this as final model to Shapeways.

Last edited:

Received my prototype, just have to find time to mold it.

I can see by your statement here you are continuing with your baseless accusation that I am casting copies of the Life Clock. As I clearly stated in several posts, I am revamping my personally bought crystal. At no time have I declared or even hinted I was going to make available or sell any thing. Unless you can provide irrefutable evidence to the contrary I will have to insist you refrain from making these statements. I personally believe your grievance with me is that you would have competition selling your product as you had stated in an earlier post that you hated I was taking, as you phrased it "a shortcut". I hope you sleep sounder tonight knowing I have no intention and never have had any intention of offering copies of the crystal and your path to fame and fortune are, at least form me, free of obstacles.

Oh and by the way, the concave shape is likely so it would fit better in the actors palms. The rounded surface on the bottom would gives a larger surface for the glue and therefore better adhesion to the actors hand as the palm is convex by nature. Have several items glued to my hands and appendages gives me some personal experience with this subject,

ummmmmm........................

:eek

I start to see why the other guy just wanted to cast copies of the one he had.

1. how important is concave ?
2. What is the width of the crystal ? (prototype is roughly 1 inch)

At no time have I declared or even hinted I was going to make available or sell any thing.

Okay. I will refrain from any more such comments. And I apologize for that last one.

Thank you for the advice on the convex shape, and as stated, I think your idea to add an actual light is a cool one.

Okay. I will refrain from any more such comments. And I apologize for that last one.

Thank you for the advice on the convex shape, and as stated, I think your idea to add an actual light is a cool one.

Jintosh, Thank you for that sir. We can now leave all that behind us and get back to enjoying this hobby.

To be honest, I think your 3D model might hold the key to how to mount the light and battery. The idea I have is that the crystal needs to be in hollow and in two parts to allow for mounting the components and to be able to change the battery, do repairs, that sort of thing. The issue is how much room is needed and how would this effect the size of the printed crystal.

I have been haunting model kit lighting sites and watching a ton of Youtube tutorials without coming to a clear conclusion as to what would work best. Then there is the issue of the reflective backing and how to apply it. Putting it on the outside exposes it to the glue and possible damage. Putting it inside may hinder the lights ability to shine bright enough to be any good. I had considered chroming the back side. From what I have seen online, I would need to have a separate bottom section unless I want to chrome the entire crystal. That leads me back to your 3D model. It would be the easiest way to make a two piece model but without the measurements it would be only a guess and probably not a good one at that.

Once you have your master, were you going to mold it and cast in clear resin? Would you be tinting them to the different stages of life in the dome? What are your thoughts about the reflective surface? So many questions, so little time.

I've done one clear casting before, but tinting is new to me. I've ordered translucent green, red, and yellow. I think some combination of green / yellow might match the prop green color. It doesn't look like straight green to me.

A 3d model would allow you to control the size of the two pieces of the crystal. You could make a basic design where the back is one piece and the main part of the crystal is a separate piece. I found some chromed finish sequins that shine through the crystal to provide a good brightness. They are a chromed stiff plastic, but paper thin. That might allow you to better incorporate them into your design.

IMG_0596.JPGIMG_0594.JPG

Here's the Shapeways crystal. It's not especially clear, but you can still see the effect of the chrome sequin.
So much more light is coming off the crystal (the right one) that the camera is darkening the shot to compensate for the light.
The effect should be even better with the castings since they'll have greater translucency.

I've done one clear casting before, but tinting is new to me. I've ordered translucent green, red, and yellow. I think some combination of green / yellow might match the prop green color. It doesn't look like straight green to me.

A 3d model would allow you to control the size of the two pieces of the crystal. You could make a basic design where the back is one piece and the main part of the crystal is a separate piece. I found some chromed finish sequins that shine through the crystal to provide a good brightness. They are a chromed stiff plastic, but paper thin. That might allow you to better incorporate them into your design.

Now I just need to determine how much space I need for the components.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 519316View attachment 519317

Here's the Shapeways crystal. It's not especially clear, but you can still see the effect of the chrome sequin.
So much more light is coming off the crystal (the right one) that the camera is darkening the shot to compensate for the light.
The effect should be even better with the castings since they'll have greater translucency.

The difference with the chrome sequin is night and day. It also must be said that the surface relief is just the sort of thing I had in mind to do to mine. Yours is far better than I thought I get after I monkeyed with it. What diameter did you settle at? It could make the difference for which power supply to use.

Yes, size. This one is slightly smaller than 1 inch. About 24 mm total width. But 1 inch is a good ballpark. Some of the petals extend slightly outside of the round base. So you could make the base circle 1 inch and the petals would be slightly outside of the circle. I haven't submitted my final concave design yet and haven't decided on an exact size.

Last edited:

Sorry for the bit of drama folks, it has been resolved and I will hopefully get to cast my prototype next week to play with color tinting.

Turns out I have little skill at casting such a small item. I would like a slightly curved back AND curved front...but a two piece mold on such a small item isn't something I appear to be good at. I even had trouble casting the Flat crystal.

Would that be TOO ironic if I asked 19narvik40 to cast copies of it ? At this point, I would just give him the crystal (have to do the final one still from Shapeways) and let him keep any money he can make. I can't seem to cast good copies in the colors I want anyway and I feel regret about any distress I caused him.

I currently have two small issues. One - my resin supplier has not returned my calls and may still be out of town, Thinking the little bugger stopped off in Vegas for CES 2016.
Second - my source for the vacuum chamber has just moved and must be approached with caution. He's kinda in the bear with a sore tooth stage. Perhaps an offering of an extra large Tim Horton's Double Double may gain me an audience. I will post when the stars have aligned and can be sure I will be able to do the castings.

We can send him one of my Wonka Golden Tickets. ;)

Okay, I have several projects going anyway. Possibly the Johnny Depp Golden ticket, and I'm working on the Strange coin from the Destiny game, and the Saint knife.

Wish I had won that 1.6 Billion lotto so I didn't have to have a normal job.

RE the crystal being concave, I'm not sure they are supposed to be. I bought some in the 90's, and they were all flat. Over time, as the resin has aged, I've noticed that my crystals have shrunken a bit and curled inward. I wouldn't be surprised if even the movie props share a similar fate.

I think these two models give a pretty good indication of how the crystals should look. The "petals" aren't curved in the larger versions in the film, as in the giant red crystal at the bottom of Carrousel (second photo.): they have sharp, faceted edges. I believe the palm crystals should be that way, too, and maybe started out that way, but in making duplicates they got rounded off a bit, similarly to how the edges of the vacuformed lifecrystal appears in the third picture.
LifeCrystals.jpgcarrousel crystal.jpgTV crystal.jpg

Flat and NOT weathered ? hmmm...have to think about that. You also have to consider the concept. This is something they've worn for 30 years, and if it is some kind of acrylic (in theory) and not glass, then there could be 30 years of weathering.

I have not been able to find an actual screen used life crystal image despite all my efforts. I have tried several Logan's Run fan pages but most are now gone. Here are a couple of links that have life crystals mentioned or displayed.
http://www.rogermwilcox.com/LogansRun.html#movie_memorabilia - scroll about 3/4s the way down the page.
http://www.oocities.org/area51/dimension/5357/props.htm - this page is an archived copy, doesn't seem to be online anymore. Gives an explanation of the colours.
http://www.oocities.org/area51/Dimension/5357/clocks.htm - Not the same page as above,

Hope this helps a bit.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back