3-foot Rodger Young?

Skimmed the flick and got one more cap.

The 169 (on the left) appears to be a blue-gray, with the Rodger Young-type deck structure.

The ship on the bottom right I assumed to be the 180, but my previous cap shows the 180 with the boxy cargo modules.
That suggests this is something else, maybe 15X, 16X, 18X or 19X?
Based on the color differences between it and the 169, I'm guessing it may be green?

EDIT: I found my paperback "Making of Starship Troopers" and checked it for more ship details. Though it is surprisingly meticulous in many respects, it does not contain a list of ships, nor any useful photos beyond what we already have.

-MJ

Attachments

• 169+180.jpg
    169+180.jpg
    754.3 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
Well, a blizzard shutting things down here in CO followed by another round of snow did not stop Fed Ex (though it did stop USPS!) from getting a set of large boxes delivered today.

And when I cracked them open for a quick look see . . . I can see I am going to be having a whole lot of fun building this bad boy up!

Overall 3.jpegOverall 2.jpegOverall 1.jpeg

I will be digging into this more next week and taking a lot of pictures for those who haven't been able to jump on this yet or were not lucky enough to be in the first 10.

But so far? Pretty damn impressed. It is at the higher end of what I would consider GK kit quality, very good casting all around in a good strong resin that is not stinky or weak, with few pinholes and mold tear boogers etc. But it is still a kit so some work is definitely needed in areas.

Ryan

Thanks for the pictures. Can't wait to see more! I am making payments so I will not see my kit for a while. Were paint chips included?

Other names:
Marshall Blue aircraft carriers (173??)
USS Princenton
Khe Sanh
Chupacabra

Numbers:

Last edited:
Toro,

Any evidence of those ships that you can share?

DTSSYT,

No paint chip sadly, but I asked about it as I was under the impression that they came with it too.

Just an FYI, in lighting this true to "as seen on screen" is going to be a LOT of work, especially in the comms and other towers as they are solid cast, as are the engine sections for LEDs etc. Its going to be a lot of hogging out to make towers fiber optic ready, and more than a little cutting in half then hogging out on the engine thrusters too. Its does have some access in areas that would be hard to do built in, but a lot of that is negated by solid cast parts in a few areas that are going to take some creativity and time to get access behind.
Head Cut.jpeg
The main "head" is hollow rotocast though so after a quick cut from the underside to confirm its not obstructed the head and bridge area will be not simple to light but doable. That was going to be a deal breaker on lighting if it turned out that there was a huge blob of resin inside as sometimes happens on rotocast pieces, luckily its a pretty consistent wall thickness throughout, IE, VERY well done rotocasting. I may cut under the chin as well for access and then cover with a styrene plate when done since its a no detail area, and drilling those FO holes blind isn't on my list of fun things to do. In fact, I may use the under chin area for access to lights/battery pack post build since I think I can make a plate and magnetize it, but that is a part of the plan that will come as I assess things further as I go.

I am looking at a couple of sizes of FO to use, I never did hear of an "official" size used word from Fon Davis or anyone who worked on the 3' model. For now I am going to take a look at some of my "stock" sizes and compare to "as seen on film" of all versions, including the 19', and see what appears to be in close scale for this build.

I'm also looking at some SMD style LEDs to use for the 5 or so "spotlights" the 19' sported in various areas, so far a quick test shows that I can readily hide them behind a styrene chip and get the effect I want and not have it be overly obvious how its done.

Finally, some aluminum honeycomb light diffuser arrived yesterday, and the 1/16 grid size I took a chance on fits cell for cell count with what shows up for the main engine thrusters on the 19'. I did over order and I need to see about doubling that amount as what I have in is 1 inch thick (way too thick for the build) and shaving that down but for now at least I have something in hand to use. Once I do that I may offer it up for anyone who wants it for either lighted or static build, I think it will add some serious character to the engines. Now to find the diamond grid pattern that goes on the upper inner secondary triangular engine thrusters (PE from K&S would have been perfect but it is discontinued now I guess) and that part of the engine lighting will be done.

Engine Honeycomb.jpeg

Ryan

Hi Ryan

Khe Sanh and Chupacabra, mentions Jay Adan (Model Maker and painter in Thunderstone model shop), in an article in the defunct magazine Sci-Fi & Fantasy Models.
Marshall, mention VFX supervisor Scott E. Anderson (if I remember correctly) in the magazine American Cinematographer.
The Princeton, mentioned by in a forum, the owner of one of the original models of 3 feet ILM.
And the identification numbers, of captures of the Blu-ray.

And your identifications?
Hale 133
137 Denim Tan
Fairfield 178

I am so curious.

Regards

Toromodel,

You are right, the Marshall is mentioned in American Cinematographer Volume 78, No. 11, November 1997. The text from that article is available here:
https://www.theasc.com/protect/nov97/starship/pg1.htm

My bad, thought that was on the list along with the Yamamoto since they are both discussed in detail in the making of and cinefx issue too.

I've been trying to get the sci & fantasy model mag for awhile, I had it at one point and it got loaned and never returned. I would love to see the text and any pictures on that again.

Any chance that the owner of the Princeton posted any pictures or better yet that somewhere is contact info for him? I would love to see pics of an original 3' since they seem pretty scant, most pics out there are of the 18/19', the 9' in production (nothing after that though) so I am having to go by details for the larger models for this 3' build. I'm sure I am not alone there since this "kit" is now out there.

My sources are pretty much everything I can find. Up to and including the Starshiptroopers wiki page, which was the basis of my list and from I have yet to disprove any of the names/numbers listed there, though I crossed out the 175 rodger young as a comic book error. I added and confirmed quite a bit from bluray screencaps as well, and I cheated on those some too using this bluray cap page since its so time consuming to cap from the bluray for me:
http://movie-screencaps.com/starship-troopers-1997/1/

Specifically . . .

The Fairfield, from one of Jay Adan's photos:
Cargo Ship by Jay Adan, on Flickr

Its also in bluray caps/freeze frame on the approach to Ticonderoga early in the movie, as the tan cargo approaching with the 193 Greg Jein Blue Troop docked and the 198 (unknown name) green troop docked. 198 is a 2 part name, but I cannot make it out no matter what I do.

Now, I'm not disagreeing with any source, but the Yamamoto/Marshall collision over big K is, as far as I can tell, possibly the Fairfield and Yamamoto, since the Fairfield had the cargo module as seen in the flickr and I have yet to see any pics of a Tan Marshall named ship. Not saying it didn't happen or was shot that way or whatever, just that the tan 9' model the only pics I've seen are from Jay Adan's stream, and the Fairfield is the only name I can (kinda) make out.

The wiki is where I'm basing most of what I have for the Hale and Denim, and I'm not sold on all of them AT ALL as the attached pics are tiny and could be ANY ship name, so I'm not sure about if they are fan fiction wannabe names or the real deal.

I was hoping that kicking this off as a discussion would put some interest out there and see if we are lucky to see some higher rez pics than we have never seen before (or better versions of whats floating around already) and new information. Next post will be an updated "list" with a lot of question marks and blank spaces. I wish I could say that I have a folder of never before seen behind the scenes photos that reveal all of it to confirm everything, but sadly, I don't. I'm just doing the best I can to piece this together and then see about getting whatever decals I can get made, made with real names etc for variety. Its fun (in a sick twisted sort of way in a near information vacuum) researching and having an idea of how many of what size models were made when and by whom, and I love that the 3' one we have now is solely ILM built and filmed.

Its funny when you start digging in on details, you start seeing things like the rear deck arch piece being present on some TAC and Cargo variants while completely missing on others, and the square box cargo module vs the tapered cargo box (what I call the command ship type), with the variations running the full gambit of combinations.

Ryan

Name Ship ID Color Type

Princeton
Khe Sanh
Frank Is Love 125 Blue? Troop
128 Tan Troop
Mitchell 132 Blue
Hale 133
Denim 137 Tan Tac ?
Yamamoto 138 D Blue
Hood 156 Troop
Giap 159 D Blue Troop
Marshall 173? Blue? TAC
Cromwell 175 TAC
Rodger Young 176 Blue Troop
Fairfield 178 Tan Freight
Boxer 182 Tan TAC
Geronimo 185
Chupacabra 188?
Greg Jein 193
Bull Run 195 Blue Troop
198 Green Troop

I retouched the Fairfield in PS, twice. The number is quite clear, but I can't make heads or tails out of the name.

Attachments

• Fairfield-Maybe.jpg
    Fairfield-Maybe.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 211
  • Fairfield? 178 Cargo Ship.jpg
    Fairfield? 178 Cargo Ship.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 209
belleauwood

I remember have requested images to the owner of the Princeton, but nothing ...

The magazine article Sci-Fi & Fantasy Models, brings little information, more or less the same as this link:

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/other/stroop.htm

Honestly, data from ships Wikipedia, are unreliable I do not understand where it came the name of the Hale and Denim. I think I you had to remove them from the list.

Regards

I retouched the Fairfield in PS, twice. The number is quite clear, but I can't make heads or tails out of the name.

In the picture perfectly it distinguishes the 178 ... but the Fairfield with this picture is unwatchable. Is there no other photograph 178?

This particular model, I think it has still some changes that made Bob and Dennis Skotak for Starship Troopers 3, but actually is a model created by ILM for Starship Troopers (plus versions for cargo modules and supply were made, plus 3 colors, tan, gray-blue and gray-green, and many others destroyed by the arachnid plasma), in particular for some scenes of the base Ticonderoga.

belleauwood,
Any chance of you showing us some more photos of the parts?
Thank you for letting us know that no paint chip was included with your kit.

Everyone,

To those who have received this kit,
Is a base included?
Anyone get a paint chip/sample?

Our first payment has been made with the second a few weeks away. I ask if anyone would please provide more information to those who have placed an order and those that want to place an order.

The above two questions have been asked on other forums in the hopes that Chronicle Collectibles responds.

For anyone interested...
My 1/700 scale replica that I finished a few years ago can be seen here...
http://modelermagic.com/?p=25620

For the 1/700 kit I did the following.
I am including it here to share with others and in case I misplace this information I can find it here.
Grey Primer, then base coated it with Model Master acrylic GRAU RLM 02.
Used Tamiya German Grey for the shadows and engines.
Then the GRAU RLM 02 again to settle down the shadow effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
dtssyst

The model does not include base, the base is seen in the photo, is from the original model of Fon Davis, and sample painting is unserviceable, it's just a picture of low resolution.

I received my kit, and is a complete disaster, it seems a copy of fourth or fifth generation. If you want, send me a private email with your email address, and send you the pictures I've made, and I have also been sent to Chronicleso they can see what kind of products they sell.

Regards

Hi, would be very interested in seeing pictures of the raw model. I think this model has alot of potential. Would display nice next to the 18" model from federationmodels.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back