UK bans the import of *anything remotely harmful*...

Eagle

Sr Member
The UK will ban the manufacture and importation of replica firearms (yes, even 'movie props') on 1st October 2007.

Were you aware?

The airsoft fraternity have lobbied and gained an exemption - i.e. they will be able to continue to collect replica firearms.

Can collectors continue to collect? No!

Can collectors still buy from within the UK? No!

From the "Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006" http://www.opsi.gov.uk/ACTS/acts2006/60038--e.htm#36

36 Manufacture, import and sale of realistic imitation firearms

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if-

(a) he manufactures a realistic imitation firearm;
(b) he modifies an imitation firearm so that it becomes a realistic imitation firearm;
(c) he sells a realistic imitation firearm; or
(d) he brings a realistic imitation firearm into Great Britain or causes one to be brought into Great Britain.

38 Meaning of "realistic imitation firearm"

(1) In sections 36 and 37 "realistic imitation firearm" means an imitation firearm which-

(a) has an appearance that is so realistic as to make it indistinguishable, for all practical purposes, from a real firearm; and
(b) is neither a de-activated firearm nor itself an antique.

(2) For the purposes of this section, an imitation firearm is not (except by virtue of subsection (3)(b)) to be regarded as distinguishable from a real firearm for any practical purpose if it could be so distinguished only-

(a) by an expert;
(b) on a close examination; or
(c) as a result of an attempt to load or to fire it.

Yes!

See the following URL for a good debate on the issue of banning
http://www.24dash.com/localgovernment/18826.htm

How do you feel about this? I'm personally a tad enraged because, as has been suggested, the Law doesn't target the criminals (which it should be doing) and instead decides to ruin the hobby and enjoyment of countless thousands of perfectly law-abiding citizens... It also doesn't help that there seems to be no clearly defined rules or dates.

...seems to me that a lot of the time people decide against attacking the real targets in this issue... The armed robbers and violent thugs... And instead set their sights on the easy target - Those of us who use imitation weapons in our perfectly legal hobbies, and who have never so much as thought about breaking a law in our lives...

It's already very illegal to carry a replica firearm in a public place. It's already very illegal to threaten somebody with one - And if a criminal acts as if a gun is real, then so will the police officers who deal with him

There must be root and branch anti-gun laws which include these replicas. They must be outlawed quickly, and heavy penalties are needed for carrying them.
Collectors don't carry them... :rolleyes

The council and the police are undertaking operations on something that is NOT YET LAW!

I know the owner handed them over 'voluntarily', but was he told it will be illegal tomorrow? If so, he has been grossly mislead, and with the time frame he could have legally sold his wares for the profit he was due.

Unless there's something you know that myself and every local authority in the country does not, Sections 36 to 39 of the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006 officially came into effect on April 6 2007

• What's your viewpoint?
• Will it affect your enjoyment of collecting props?
• Should they be banned and why?
• What can collectors do?
• Why didn't they do anything two years ago?
_

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: UK bans import of replica firearms...

I collected all the guns I wanted prior to the ban.

Heres a pic of one wall :love _ got almost double this ammount since photo been taken. :thumbsup

click to enlarge.

th_wall_v002_large.jpg

Excuse the photo whoreing.

I think were ok importing till the later date but it would be good to get this confirmed by someone who has received goods in the last week.

I dont check the airsoft boards much so dont know if customs are being picky yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Need to find out as I was intending to get a new Blade runner blaster from the US starting to wonder if I still can??

the good news is that the ABA have seemingly done the impossible and secured us airsofters an exemption

http://www.associationofbritishairsoft.org/

only certain shops will be able to import replicas and you will have to be a member of a airsoft site and play more than twice a year (with some kind of payment due once a year, well thats how ive read it on the airsoft forums) maybe they could help us prop fans out...

and of course the bill doesnt actually address the problems with gun crime in our country, because as far as i can tell it hasnt been replicas responsible for the recent spate of shootings in the capital (sorry for the rant)

Dan

Emeldahay thats one sexy patriot in the middle there!!!

Last edited:

the good news is that the ABA have seemingly done the impossible and secured us airsofters an exemption

http://www.associationofbritishairsoft.org/

only certain shops will be able to import replicas and you will have to be a member of a airsoft site and play more than twice a year (with some kind of payment due once a year, well thats how ive read it on the airsoft forums) maybe they could help us prop fans out...
Good news for airsofters. Outrageous for the rest of us! :eek

Do you think anything can be done for prop collectors? After all, we never even take them out the house like you guys do. Maybe link them to this thread to get their viewpoints. :)

So importing de-activated guns or indeed real ones if licensed is still fine ? :confused
Ridiculous, isn't it? Yes, (as I understand it) deacs are still legal but plinky-plinky airsofts carry a prison sentence... :wacko

Its the deacts that can be made to fire so not banning them would be insane....but not impossibly insane.

The whole thing is so absurdly vague that it would seem virtually impossible to enforce.

What about licenced product from people like MR or QMX? If we (UK residents) don't know what's going on, how the hell are US dealers supposed to?

Imported Airsoft weapons are licensed replicas so technically any prop gun replica would still fall under this law meaning customs could seize it if they so wished. Just means we will have to pay a little extra and purchase them from UK dealers to be safe.

But there's a snag there. By all accounts, an exemption has been secured for airsofters but not for prop collectors. Therefore, unless you're part of an association you won't be able to obtain anything.

Is this just imports or exports too? Does it cover prop guns in kit form or just built and hard to distinguish between a real one and a real one upon customs inspection?

Apparently neither real guns nor bad people kill others, it is just toy guns that pose a danger.:)
It's a crazy world we live in -
soon you will not be able to legally buy a fake sci-fi looking gun like a Rebel Blaster but you will still be able to illegally buy a real 9mm pistol for an even cheaper price then the replica in any major city in the world without much effort.
- That's gonna make everyone safer

Is this just imports or exports too? Does it cover prop guns in kit form or just built and hard to distinguish between a real one and a real one upon customs inspection?
I think kits will be ok - just not assembled items. I personally wouldn't risk seizure though.

Exports are still affected with certain exemptions and a kit still falls under the manufacture of imitation firearms.

Criminals are using replicas to terrorise their victims and some are modifying gas blow backs and airsofts to fire real rounds. A properly de-activated real firearm should be totally incapable of being modified to fire.

I would guess that the vagueness of the blll will lead to customs and local authorities intrpreting the wording as to how they feel on the day. I think they have created this legislation primarily to hit airsoft ie realistic real-world weaponry replicas. At the moment everthing else is in catch-all grey area.

Perhaps when the section of the legislation regarding replicas is finalised (see the link Eagle included), specifics will become clear.

Seriousy,though, I don'tthink the draughters have a clue themselves that could anwer your questions

Exports are still affected with certain exemptions and a kit still falls under the manufacture of imitation firearms.

Criminals are using replicas to terrorise their victims and some are modifying gas blow backs and airsofts to fire real rounds. A properly de-activated real firearm should be totally incapable of being modified to fire.

How do they modify a solid lump of resin? Let's be honest, unless there is further qualifiction, we're not going to know unil prosecutions start.

How do they modify a solid lump of resin? Let's be honest, unless there is further qualifiction, we're not going to know unil prosecutions start.

Like you said, this law is being rushed in to tackle the problem of gun crime. Science fiction replicas is not something Whitehall has thought about but the current wording of the law still includes them. But lets get real the authorities are not going to prosecute people collecting movie props. The problem will be with customs and so the buyer is going to have to decide whether it's worth the risk of having it seized.

I think this is awful. I hope some of you collectors in th U.K. can get some answers from those responsible.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back