My first lightsaber kit!!!

jarebear

Hey everyone, so today I got this wonderful package in the mail :D
0806151412.jpg
I won it in an auction on ebay and it finally arrived! It's made of solid resin and the weight is pretty good, I thought it would be far too light but it isn't. Now I know that the Phantom Menace might not be the most popular movie out there but for me I still like the props in it and this being my first lightsaber I'm still super excited about it! The kit is pretty good, although it will take quite a bit of time to get it to perfection. You can see that there is a line from the cast that will have to be sanded down to get the whole saber smooth. I will also be hand-drilling the holes in the cubes on the pommel. (sorry about the crappy pictures, my phone doesn't have the greatest camera)
0806151413a.jpg0806151413b.jpg0806151413c.jpg
You can also see here that quite a bit of work will need to be done on the emitter to make it look authentic
0806151414a.jpg
I will also most likely cut off the button and the gold piece on the side and replace them with the actual parts and I will also probably replace the resin belt clip with a real covertec one just to make the saber look more authentic and it will feel more "real" as well.
0806151414.jpg0806151427.jpg
And here's another shot of it next to a ruler and the toy Obi Wan saber so as far as I know the size seems right to me, but I could be wrong
0806151417.jpg0806151417a.jpg
If anyone has any tips or suggestions on the best way to clean this up/go about this whole thing that would be very helpful, otherwise just sit back and enjoy! :)

That seems like a fun project to start your collection with ... I've read that in order to get a nice chrome shine add a gloss black layer on as a basecoat before painting the chrome . . . lateron you can put the matt or pearl black layer for the pieces which are supposed to be black after sanding the gloss black basecoat slightly on those parts ... :)

Chaim

So - I'm very excited for you - this was not only my favorite saber of the Prequels (and one that showed pre-evolution in lieu of the original props from the 70s) but this is also your chance to make something awesome out of what I'm gathering was one of those resin casts from a sketchy eBay seller. He tends to make poor recasts and inaccurate parts, so I'm VERY glad you got a good one.

To prep resin casts:
1) wash it with soap and water (Dawn) to get that tiny bit of grease washed away - it comes from the casting process

2) Fill in any holes with Apoxie sculpt. Now, sand the thing. Start with a normal sand paper and move to very fine grit...600 or 800.

3) Prime it with automotive primer, and (when dry) sand again, maybe even wet sand . This will create a glossy glass like surface!

4) go ahead and paint, gloss black under the chrome parts to get that shine!

So I started sanding it the other night and got a lot of work done on the pommel and the lower part of the grip but I can see now that this is going to be a lot more work than I thought! There are tiny little bubbles all along the lightsaber, any thoughts on the best way to get rid of these, or will the paint just cover it up? I think next I will be working on sanding the pommel cubes and drilling the holes so hopefully I'll have some pictures up soon on my progress, but I will be out of town until Tuesday so don't expect them until tuesday night or wednesday!

You definitely want to fill them in. Order some Apoxie Scupt like thd9791 mentioned and use it to fill in the holes buy pushing and rubbing it in. After it sets up you can sand it smooth. Apoxie scupt is cheep and easy to use, there are no fumes or strong odors.

Update: I went to the local bike store today and got the adapter, he even gave me a nice shiny one :D
1439318346622.jpg
I took a little plastic purple crystal off of an ornament and I used that for the crystal that goes inside it to cover up the hole and here's a crappy picture of that (I'm taking these all with my cellphone that's why they're all pretty bad)
1439330409340.jpg
You can kind of see it in there. It looks pretty good in person though, I just sanded it to roughly the right shape so that it fit and then I maneuvered it so that it was relatively flat and I put super glue in the bottom and let it dry. On another note I ordered the button from Roman's Props and I also am going to replace the resin led holders with the real chrome ones so I bought a ten pack on ebay that I think are the right ones but I'm not sure, we'll see when they get here. I also cut off the resin button and the knob that were on there and I got some more sanding done as well, I just need to pick up some apoxie sculpt to really get this project rolling! I'm so excited!

I ordered apoxie sculpt and a new covertec wheel for the lightsaber and I know for sure the Apoxie will arrive on Monday so as soon as that arrives I will be posting a lot more updates because as of right now there really isn't anything I can do with the saber.

So my Apoxie Sculpt and the covertec wheel arrived in the mail today while I was at work so I can finally get started on fixing all the little holes and such in the saber! Hopefully I'll have some update pics in the next few days.

Another update, the led bevels that go on the emitter head of the saber arrived in the mail today and they look perfect!! More to come tomorrow ;)

Congrats! The Obi saber was my first ever saber as well. I actually converted, updated, and sold three different versions of the saber before settling on the one that will be in my collection forever. :0) Lightsaber collecting is addictive - once you have one,you want them all! :0)

I can't wait to see how this turns out! I've always wanted to do a resin saber kit (Luke ROTJ stunt anyone?) but haven't taken the plunge. Also, we need pics of the covertec and led bezels :cool. I love nerding out to that stuff.

I know it's been weeks since I've posted anything but school started and I got super busy with homework and sports and all that so I haven't had really any time at all but as soon as I have a free day I will definitely get some more work done on this bad boy because I hate having it just lay around unfinished and I know you all want to see it done too! Hopefully I'll be able to get it done within a few weeks.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back