Interest Thread: Atlanta Area Maker Con or Prop Party

RockIt

Hey!
I know the last thing most of you want is to think of MORE projects (with DragonCon less than a month away), but I've been thinking...maker's parties and prop parties have been successful in other cities. Heck, even in this forum there's a stuck post about the Toronto Prop Party this weekend (and if you haven't checked out their photos - do it! They're great).

With Atlanta being voted the nerdiest city in America last year, the big boom in the film industry, the vibrant makers community (artists, prop builders, costumers, and designers) - I'm considering organizing a maker/prop party event. It would be a few months out from now (I'm thinking springtime just before con season, maybe March/April?) but I'm thinking about a 1 day event where makers get together, meet each other, show off some of your props/builds (cuz really, why spend sooooo many hours to wear it one or two days a year and leave it in the closet the rest of the time), even have a build space to maybe do an ongoing 1day build (a la Adam Savage on their Tested channel) where you start the day w/your tools and the goal is to build that project during the day before you leave.

I don't know, I'm just spitballing right now. I'm gauging interest in where there'd be support, enough interest to do this, see if people would be willing to help (with coordination, maybe getting some sponsors, or just logistics). We could start small but turn it into an annual thing.

And yes, I'm well aware of Makers Faire. They're great, but they're also much more generalized. What I'm thinking about is much more props/replicas-centric. We could even reach out to some established groups like the R2-D2 (or Wall-E) builders guilds. Stuff like that.

So...thoughts?

Definitely interested.

A number of years ago I attended a prop party put on by RPF member TheEngineerGuy. It was at his “The Engineer Guy” store near the ATL airport and the new Porsche facility. Visiting his website (just now), I see he recently put on a “Goo” convention that included a prop party which I totally missed. :( Seems there were some interesting panels as well. If I’m not mistaken, I believe he’s also presented some panels at previous DragonCons as well. Perhaps you may want to touch base with him?

I’m giving serious thought to putting on a prop collecting/making panel at Conjuration, which is Harry Potter centric – but probably next year.

But what I’d really like to see would be a prop party in conjunction with DragonCon. Perhaps a room in one of the big 3 hotels, with several heavy duty, lockable display cases. There’d probably be a small entry fee which would allow for judging and prizes. I’m sure there’d be a lot of logistics to consider, but I’m hoping to get a chance to talk with Lee Cox about the possibilities.

ATL

Definitely interested.

A number of years ago I attended a prop party put on by RPF member TheEngineerGuy. It was at his “The Engineer Guy” store near the ATL airport and the new Porsche facility. Visiting his website (just now), I see he recently put on a “Goo” convention that included a prop party which I totally missed. :( Seems there were some interesting panels as well. If I’m not mistaken, I believe he’s also presented some panels at previous DragonCons as well. Perhaps you may want to touch base with him?

I’m giving serious thought to putting on a prop collecting/making panel at Conjuration, which is Harry Potter centric – but probably next year.

But what I’d really like to see would be a prop party in conjunction with DragonCon. Perhaps a room in one of the big 3 hotels, with several heavy duty, lockable display cases. There’d probably be a small entry fee which would allow for judging and prizes. I’m sure there’d be a lot of logistics to consider, but I’m hoping to get a chance to talk with Lee Cox about the possibilities.

ATL

That is some super awesome intel, thanks! I'm very familiar w/The Engineer Guy (been needing to make a trip over there actually....). I'm definitely going to link up w/him, maybe see what we can pull together or possibly just do something more for it. Conjuration would be a great place to try something too. We (my fiancee and I) were planning on going this year, but...it's the same weekend as our wedding. Oops. So many next year for us too! I know there's some armory displays and whatnot, but do they not have something like that already? Might have to look into it....

You should come to the Atlanta Cosplay Meetup that we host over at Freeside Atlanta.

http://www.meetup.com/Freeside-Atlanta/events/pqwtflytmbdb/

http://freesideatlanta.org/

Thanks for the info! I think we'll definitely look into coming to one of the upcoming events. Awesome to know about this too. I like how the next one is the day before DragonCon. Coincidence.....I think not!

Thanks for the info! I think we'll definitely look into coming to one of the upcoming events. Awesome to know about this too. I like how the next one is the day before DragonCon. Coincidence.....I think not!

haha It is a COMPLETE coincidence! We meet the first Wednesday of every month, and that just happens to be the Wednesday of Dragon Con.

haha It is a COMPLETE coincidence! We meet the first Wednesday of every month, and that just happens to be the Wednesday of Dragon Con.
Well after this fall (which in addition to D*Con, my fiancee and I are planning a wedding >.< ) when we can breathe again, we'll def make it to a couple. Can't wait!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back