Anakin Starkiller V2 lightsaber show-off thread

manooga

We all are excited about this recent run, and I have seen several beautiful finishes of this prop, so thought it would be good to have them all concentrated in a single post. So to start, here it's mine (only missing the clamp which is already in the US waiting for me!):

20150805_174827639_iOS.jpg20150805_174923652_iOS.jpg20150805_174947833_iOS.jpg

Please share yours as you finish them!

That looks real good, Manooga. REAL GOOD!
As a not very good painter/weatherer, combined with simply how awesome Dan's reconstruction turned out, I'm still not sure that I will paint mine. It's intimidating.

That looks real good, Manooga. REAL GOOD!
As a not very good painter/weatherer, combined with simply how awesome Dan's reconstruction turned out, I'm still not sure that I will paint mine. It's intimidating.

I know the feeling, I am very nervous about weathering too. I always found it hard to do things randomly.. I don't know how serious that guy was about making a stencil. My luck I'll weather and the day I'm finished he'll post the stencil run! LOL

that V2 looks awesome!!

- - - Updated - - -

We all are excited about this recent run, and I have seen several beautiful finishes of this prop, so thought it would be good to have them all concentrated in a single post. So to start, here it's mine (only missing the clamp which is already in the US waiting for me!):

View attachment 510744View attachment 510745View attachment 510746

Please share yours as you finish them!

Mind sharing the tools u used to achieve this look? Did you use any chemicals to help soften the paint? I really like how it came out and so nervous to do this

Mind sharing the tools u used to achieve this look? Did you use any chemicals to help soften the paint? I really like how it came out and so nervous to do this

This! :D

20150805_230944403_iOS.jpg

For real!

It's very easy. These were the stages in the process I followed (I had experience painting at least 3 other V2s, so had no fear with this one):
- I primered the whole thing with Tamiya Metal Primer. Let it dry for like 2 hours.
- Sprayed the whole thing with regular acrylic spray matte black paint purchased in the supermarket. Let it dry for like 1 hour.
- Scratched the rings hard with the knife to make the paint go off.
- Using ref. pics I started doing the weathering with the can opener. You gotta treat it roughly, you mean to weather it, so you can't be gentle.
- Sprayed the whole thing with Tamiya clear semi-matte coating. I must confess that since I finished it I have added more weathering. Even after taking those pics I discovered a few mistakes. I have just scratched it more with the can opener.

Don't be afraid. Worst case you won't like it and will need to sand it all and then paint it all over again.

I seriously love how each of ours are different! I sprayed right on the bare metal and let it cure for a day or two. I find that I handle my props quite often, so it will get weathered in time with use.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 562
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    857.2 KB · Views: 500
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 613
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    801.2 KB · Views: 516
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    789.5 KB · Views: 532
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 510
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    819.6 KB · Views: 493
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    682.7 KB · Views: 504
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 560
Tom, as always, killer work, man. It looks really really good.
Thanks Andy! that means a lot

I like the AFBB look. I liked it when I painted my saber and I knoe some other people liked theirs in this stadium too. It was hard to go on with weathering. Like to see how yours looks in a year or so.
Me too, I've very excited to see how this will look next year, 5 years and more down the road :)

Hahaha indeed, he was perturbed about not having full access to my window. I was struggling to get good lightning to let my camera auto focus. thanks for the compliments, I'm very, VERY proud of this one. I can't help but walk by and handle it every time.

Finally complete!! :D I successfully moved to OH and got all my sabers in good condition, and today I received Roy's lever and D-ring. This is the outcome now! I was lucky enough to find an original Graflex clamp with the correct piece on the opposite sidebar to the lever, so I got it with the rust and everything as it should be:

IMG_4243.JPGIMG_4244.JPGIMG_4245.JPGIMG_4246.JPG

And this is how I secured the emitter to the rod.
IMG_4247.JPG

Looks great.
Is the clamp very loose on the saber or fits it perfectly? I'm asking because on the pictures it is in the Hero ROTJ saber position.

It undoubtedly fitted loosely on the actual prop or, at least, somewhat loose; it moves positions in almost every pic of it along with the pommel.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back