Need advice for under suit for Batman Begins urethane costume

GINO

Sr Member
I have a urethane Batman Begins suit on the way and I'm not sure exactly what kind of under suit to mount it to.
I bought a wetsuit (it's like 1/8" thick, 3mm) but I'm not sure if it's going to work or how hot and miserable I would be wearing it.
I tried it on and it was extremely difficult to get adjusted on my body and I have to basically peel it off of me to get it off.
I worry about damaging the urethane armor pieces when dressing/undressing.

Am I barking up the wrong tree with this wetsuit? What have you guys done for your under suits?
Would love to see what you've done and possibly buy something better than what I have.
Any advice or guidance would be massively appreciated.
Post here or PM me privately if preferred.

Here's a pic of the wetsuit:

wetsuit.JPG

That's interesting. How accurate is the look of that material compared to the original costume under suit?
Also I thought that when people made neoprene under suits that they were glued and not sewn.

Well I have samples that they had sent me. Let me tell you I'm sold. I am definitely ordering, and Melissa the sales rep is a huge Wonder Woman fan...GM

I think yours looks great. I'd totally be down to commission someone to make one like that for me.
I've seen those links but not pics of anyone's actual under suit they've made themselves.

If I can't get something like that by the time I need it, do you think the wetsuit I posted above will work? Too hot? Will I destroy my armor trying to take the wetsuit on/off?

Depends on the thickness. My suit was from Kevin (coofunkcurly on here) and its heavy. My undersuit was thin but very hot. It'll be very hot regardless what kind of undersuit you have. Yours also is a one piece which kind of sucks especially if you have to go to the bathroom. Since mine was 2 pieces all I had to do was unbuckle the bottom area and lift the crotch part of the armor up and i had a zipper on my pants. Taking off and putting on I needed help and that was 2 pieces. One piece id imagine it being even more difficult because the armor im guessing you'll be using is urethane and while it has some flex, its still pretty thick and heavy and movement is limited

Depends on the thickness. My suit was from Kevin (coofunkcurly on here) and its heavy. My undersuit was thin but very hot. It'll be very hot regardless what kind of undersuit you have. Yours also is a one piece which kind of sucks especially if you have to go to the bathroom. Since mine was 2 pieces all I had to do was unbuckle the bottom area and lift the crotch part of the armor up and i had a zipper on my pants. Taking off and putting on I needed help and that was 2 pieces. One piece id imagine it being even more difficult because the armor im guessing you'll be using is urethane and while it has some flex, its still pretty thick and heavy and movement is limited

Yeah mine is from Kevin also and is urethane.
I'm not so worried about going to the bathroom as much as I am about not being able to get the suit on/off without totally wrinkling up the armor and damaging it in doing so.
I expect it to get really hot, but not so hot you pass out.

If anyone is planning on making a neoprene rubber under suit let me know as I'd like to commission you.

Do NOT buy that TRI suit. Period. It looks great until you go to put it on your body and you will see how fast that tri suit starts to fall apart where you glued it at. Years ago I tried the same thing. Went through two suits trying to make it work.
Yep either make your own or hope someone is willing to part with theirs.
And yes I have worn one piece suits. Use the bathroom before putting it on and shoot for 2-3 hours and you should be fine.

drftfan thanks for your input! Especially since you have already given a one piece a try.
I already have the tri suit. I'm less worried about it falling apart as I am not being able to dress/undress once the armor is glued.
Do you think it is impossible to get the armored suit on/off if I use that tri suit as the base?
Also, the plan was to put the suit on then have a friend glue it on me while I was wearing it. Should I be concerned about the adhesive seeping through the wetsuit and getting on my skin?

Also I hear all kinds of conflicting opinions about what type of adhesive to use.
Aquaseal?
Should I buy a flexible urethane adhesive such as this?:
http://www.adhesive.com/U1-urethane

In terms of glueing my advice would be 1, Make a duct tape dummy of your body. 2, Place your undersuit on the dummy. 3, Place your armour on the dummy and chalk out the perimeter of where the armour is going to sit. 4. Remove the armour and leaving a 1 inch enough from the edge smear Aquaseal (mixed with Cotol to reduce the cure time - spelling ?) On the armour as well as on the same place on the undersuit. Make sure you wait the 10 minutes to make both sides sticky. 5, Now for the tricky part at about the 8 minute mark smear some Loctite Superflex gel super glue on the 1 inch margin you left - you will have to be quick here as you only have about 2 minutes before the super glue sets. 6, Place your armour on your undersuit in the chalked out position hold tightly in position until the super glue sets. You only have one shot at this. So get it right. 7, Once the super glue sets, using blue painters tape firmly tape your armour in position and leave in place until the Aquaseal sets. 8. Rember to smear only just enough super glue so it doesn't squish out from underneath the edge of the armour.

Thanks for the thorough instructions.
I really don't prefer to go through the trouble of making a duct tape dummy, so do you think that the glue will seep through the wetsuit and onto my skin if I'm wearing it when it gets glued down?

Thanks for the thorough instructions.
I really don't prefer to go through the trouble of making a duct tape dummy, so do you think that the glue will seep through the wetsuit and onto my skin if I'm wearing it when it gets glued down?

If you are going to use Aquaseal then you need to use some sort of dummy as the cure time for the glue is 4 to 24 hours - depending on whether or not you use the cotol.

If you just use the flexible super glue gel (which only has a cure time of 2 to 3 minutes) then would I suggest you wear an old t shirt and an old pair of tidy whiteys then wrap yourself in plastic food wrap (cling wrap or saran wrap) so no skin is exposed.( Reinforce your nether regions or risk the Brazilian wax job from Hell if there is any glue seepage!) Tape the plastic in place and put on your under suit. Then site your armour on your undersuit as per my previous post and stick it in place, by using the plastic wrap if any glue seeps through it wont be sticking to your skin.

Chris

Last edited:
Ok here is my exact experience. Dont use superglue on that particular style suit. No matter what.
When I did my very first one I tried the superglue route. As soon as any stress was placed on the undersuit/armor the armor tore away from the neoprene. Why? The neoprene foam is why. It literally tore it off in chunks. Save that suit and use it for a display style suit and get a real thin neoprene suit for wearing. Much better decision.
All of this was done with my Bob armor 6 or 7 years ago. Let me talk to a buddy of mine and see if we can bring these undersuits back to the market.
How soon are you needing one Gino? Macro is right in my backyard by the way.

Typically contact cement will not work on urethane. But since I line my pieces with urethane foam, I did have one client who tried contact cement and said it worked amazingly. But never tested it myself so this is second hand info.

Experience must vary. I used Super Glue on Kevin's suit. Top is light wetsuit, bottom is Under Armour compression leggings (Armour is full wrap). It's held up well.

image.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back