Help with Costume lighting?

Kate Bishop

Hi there! I'm working on my first cosplays (three different costumes for three days of my local comic con) and I've decided to be a little ambitious and include lighting in one of my costumes and one of my props. The problem is, I'm a total cosplay newb, and while I've been able to find a few resources on different lighting options, I don't know which techniques are better.

The costume I need to light is a genderbent Blue Beetle costume. The costume includes lighted panels on the legs, fingertips, and back (although I might nix the fingertips as that's not very practical for conventions.)
Jaime_Reyes_Prime_Earth_001.jpg

This is my genderbent design:
GBBB.png

Judging by the research I've done, EL panels might be the best choice, but I've never worked with them before.

For a prop used in my second costume, I was thinking EL wire. The prop is a laser bow and arrow that looks like this:
soul bow.JPG

It would be great to hear your opinions and/or experience with lighting materials!

Although I have never personally worked with EL wire, I don't think it would be the best solution for what you want to do. Reason being-EL wire just lights up itself, not the surrounding area. Unless you coil it up, it will just light up the edges. If you do coil it, you would probably need to use diffused plastic for the shells. Am I explaining this well enough-kinda hard to tell, plus it is a bit hard to understand without pics.

Although I have never personally worked with EL wire, I don't think it would be the best solution for what you want to do. Reason being-EL wire just lights up itself, not the surrounding area. Unless you coil it up, it will just light up the edges. If you do coil it, you would probably need to use diffused plastic for the shells. Am I explaining this well enough-kinda hard to tell, plus it is a bit hard to understand without pics.

Thanks, although I'm only using EL wire for the bow.
For the suit I was going to use EL panels
EL_PARALLEL_PANELS_1.jpg
they are flexible and can be cut, but light up a whole surface consistently

Thanks, although I'm only using EL wire for the bow.
For the suit I was going to use EL panels
View attachment 509026
they are flexible and can be cut, but light up a whole surface consistently

Ah, that'll work well. For fun, I might suggest a magnetic reed switch for the bow-set up in your glove, the bowstring would only work for you:)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back