Need help with a mask

crazyhoofer

Hello people, I have been searching the internet for many days relentlessly to find a way to make my mask (photo attached), but I have not found good answers yet. I want to make it from foam, but I can't use pepakura, as this mask does not have pep files + I can't figure out the program + I don't have a printer or anything like that. So as you can see from the mask, it's just a sort of ovular shape, very basic. If I can somehow make that out of foam, then all I gotta do it cut the eyes out, add the beak and the red blubbery stuff, paint it white and add feathers. Kinda simple, But I need to know how to make that shape out of foam, and I will attach some immages of the shape I mean. PLUS all you experts out there can probably tell me any tips or advice I might need when making this. I am very determined to make this, and to not just buy a latex chicken mask from amazon. Thanks, Max

Attachments

• rarest.jpg
    rarest.jpg
    443.1 KB · Views: 153
  • latest.jpg
    latest.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 129
im certainly no expert! but I have seen people make helmets from foam by dividing it into 4 pieces so they can shape them seperately, then glue them together.

so like this picture
rbcvuc.jpg

but stick with glue rather then tape. So the foam parts were shaped to create the curves at the top
not sure if that helps!

Not an expert either but maybe carving expanding foam?

The pic icedjemz posted would be a good idea for the frame.

I make most of my stuff from foam (can link to threads if you want to see how I do it) but the basic premise is make anything structural out of 10mm EVA foam, add detail in carved upholstery foam and cover with latex or fabric. The pattern you're after to make the sort of tube+dome shape is kinda like this:

DomePattern.jpg

The easiest way to get the best pattern and fit is to make a mockup out of paper, preferably full scale so you can check the fit (though half scale is good for getting the trickier parts of masks patterned out) and adjust that until you're happy - the advantage being you can add or take away paper just using scissors and sticky tape. Flatten the pattern once you're happy with it, trace it on the EVA and cut. I'd personally do the beak in EVA as well, adding the detail with a dremel and soldering iron. The other parts I'd carve some upholstery foam with scissors and glue that on, I've found it's the best way to keep the details flexible, cheap and very easy to correct/redo if things go wrong.

That's my take anyway, most folks around here do things very differently! Shop around for methods, so many people have their own ideas :D

The expandable foam route is a good idea, just spray it on the shell like Fallimar and IcedJemz have suggested, then carve at it with an electric knife.

The expandable foam route is a good idea, just spray it on the shell like Fallimar and IcedJemz have suggested, then carve at it with an electric knife.

I use upholstery rather than spray foam myself (it's squishy and easier to control) but yeah, carving is a nice way to build up your shapes either way!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back