Thorssoli's First Order Builds - Captain Phasma FINISHED on Page 21!

Re: Thorssoli's Episode VII Builds (Finished Phasma Helmet on Page 7)

WOW when you do updates, it comes in a flood

Not always. But when I disappear for a while in the middle of a project at crunch time, it's a safe bet that some kind of huge photo dump will happen sooner or later. When things simmer down I go back to smaller updates.

For example, today my friend Mark stopped by with a chunk of aluminum:

He has access to a waterjet cutter, so I bought him a piece of 1/8" aluminum and he ran me out a bunch of pieces:

Here's the stack snapped off of the waste:

They still need to have screw holes drilled through them, but I think they'll do the trick:

In case anyone was wondering, this is the reason why the right thigh hasn't been polished up and molded yet. I was waiting until I had these pieces on hand in order to make the holster block the right size and shape. As you can see, there's a bit of work to be done there before these guys are ready to go.

In other news, I had my friend Matt try on the chest armor:

Sooooo... Yeah. We're going to have to make a slightly bigger version as well.

More to come, stay tuned.

ooooooooh the new tie fighter pilot helmet is my favourite from the new movie (of those we've seen ;)) look forward to see how your turns out T.

Man I hate you.....

Hate is a very strong word. Can't we all just get along? :)

ooooooooh the new tie fighter pilot helmet is my favourite from the new movie (of those we've seen ;)) look forward to see how your turns out T.

The model still needs a bit of tweaking. In the meantime, my friend Matt got a start on the mockups for the chest boxes for the TIE Pilot:

He's got a decent start:

More to come. Stay tuned...

Let's talk about fingers for a moment. I'm making them with a smoosh mold. It goes like this...

A few days back I posted this pic:

Those things sat like that on the bench for a couple of days before anyone finally got around to building a box around them. Then I started pouring in the silicone:
[

The box was tipped as far as I could balance it to one side in order to make it easier for any bubbles in the silicone to flow up and away from the edges of the parts:

The next day, after the silicone had cured completely, the clay was removed but the finger prototypes were left in place. Then the whole thing was given a couple of liberal coats of release agent before pouring more silicone into the hole left behind by the clay:

The mold was filled to the tippy-top and left to cure overnight:

It turns out that it must've been a bitterly cold night in the shop though, so the core wasn't ready to pull until fairly late the next night:

Et voila! Finger armor core removed:

With the core removed, it was time to remove the prototype parts. I started by making a "jeweler's cut" which I didn't take a picture of. Fortunately, it's the same type of cut I used to demold the handplates:

One the prototypes were removed, I set the molds up on a table and filled just the fingertips of the finger armor mold:

Then the core was pushed into place in the mold:

You can tell I poured in enough resin because a bit splooged its way out when I smooshed the core into place:

After the resin cured, it was just a matter of pulling out the core again:

Once the cast parts were plucked out of the mold, they were ready to test fit:

I still need to trim off the mold flashing, but I think they'll work:

In other news, we've been making more progress on the rest of the armor. At this point we have finished molding and pulled at least one copy of everything except for the right bicep, right thigh, buttplate, and the forearms. Here I am all tucked into the work in progress:

With the armor all in black and the helmet all shiny, it looks way too big. It also doesn't help that the chest is sized for the girlfriend who is both taller and thinner than I am. Still, it's coming together.

Now I've really got to get started on the rubber parts.

Stay tuned...

That update was AMAZING. I still don't understand that mold 100% but I don't need to to know it looks incredible!! Awesome work!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Hm, yeah, that helmet does look kind of bobble-headed, but maybe it's just the angle/optical illusion! :) Great work, regardless!

So AWSOME!
And thanks so much for the molding tips.
Really great of you to share your "know how".

Really great of you to share your "know how".

That's why we're here, isn't it? Otherwise it'd just be a bunch of us sitting around playing "look at all of my cool toys." Where's the fun in that?

In other news, here's the very first piece of the blaster pistol fresh off of the 3D printer:

Phasma is looking amazing.....

Thank you, sir. Just one more armor piece left to smooth out:

Once the last little bit of filling and sanding are done on that piece, I can pull a mold off of it and the buttplate. Then I can lay up these two pieces as well as the right bicep piece and I'll have a full suit of parts. Not counting the rubber gussets of course.

Speaking of rubber, I picked up the perfect stuff to make the belts out of:

This is a rubber floor mat that looks the part for the visible grooved sections of the belt. If anyone else wants one, you can get it here: LINK

In other news, yesterday I received an FOTK helmet from Mitcheg1:

So I guess this means I'll have to make a standard trooper costume as well. Awesome.

I spent today under the weather, but hopefully I'll wake up refreshed tomorrow and start knocking out these last couple of things so we can start chroming some armor.

Stay tuned...

OMG, speechless... Thanks for those pics, amazing skillz and work!

I really think you should make that Ep7 Tie pilot helmet next before any other builds ;)

I really think you should make that Ep7 Tie pilot helmet next before any other builds ;)

You say that like I could possibly have just one thing going at a time. Right now I'm finalizing the Phasma armor parts. I've also got a guy fine-tuning the TIE Model. I'll be finishing up another CNC project for the book I'm writing by tomorrow afternoon. Then I'll start the carves for the TIE over the weekend. My next silicone shipment should be arriving shortly, then I'll be able to mold the rifle I'm working on, the other two helmets I'm tinkering with, and a few other small pieces I have in progress. While all of that is going on, the early planning and digital design work for my T-60b Power Armor is coming together. Then there's the usual rush of garden gnomes and other little projects that are always going on and that blaster pistol that's already in progress. Add to that the long running backburner projects like the War Machine 1.0 from IM2, the pile of oddball things spilling off of all of the shelves, and the ever-present Warhammer 40K stuff and the TIE helmet starts to look like a very small drop in the bucket.

Rest assured. I'll get to it. Soon.

Will the phasma armor be available to purchase in the future? Sorry if you covered this already in the thread somewhere

Will the phasma armor be available to purchase in the future?

I could possibly be talked into laying up a few more sets, but fiberglass is a lot more labor-intensive than your usual vacformed trooper armor. Shoot me a PM and we'll see what we can work out.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back