Vader's MPP shroud (update)

Re: Vader's MPP shroud

The Heiland model with round-edge ports is the Synchronar. The older Press S model has rectangular ports and the coin-edge cap. I think the Synchronars were a little longer, but that might be the difference in the end caps. I'll check later, I think I have one of each collecting dust somewhere.

MPP End cap (color) and three styles of Heiland caps (mono). More threads on the MPP.
attachment.php

Attachments

• MPP Heiland End Caps.jpg
    MPP Heiland End Caps.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 632

so this is like the praco/bosley all over again lol. so not only do you have to hunt a heiland with oval holes but u also need to find one with a knurled end cap... hmmmm

My Synchronar has the proper guts, rounded ports, but not the right endcap. It's got the female port on the bottom but it's octagonal and there aren't any threads or knurling around its sides. I plugged the hole in the 'front' face of the tube and I'm looking for a way to chrome it so it would, at the very least, resemble the chrome around it. I was thinking using maybe Spax Stix but that'd mean I'd have to get an airbrush and stuff. Either that or chrome tape. Any suggestions?

Proper guts - check. Rounded ports - check. Correct end cap - check. Looks like my Synchronar is in pretty good shape. Can't wait for Roy's shroud and eventually his button panel.

I've got the proper guts and rounded holes. My end cap is probably the closest without being a real MPP, it lacks the female threaded mount on the bottom, also less threading. It does have the knurled bottom lip.

IMG_2727.JPGIMG_2728.JPGIMG_2729.JPGIMG_2730.JPG

As long as we're discussing Heilands, along with 3 distinct end caps Heiland's trio also sport equally different bulb holders. The original Press S version also seems shorter but that might be the difference in depth of the end caps. (Apologies for the bad quality of the pix, but they're old [Kodak Tri-X].)
attachment.php

Attachments

• Heiland cases caps emitters.jpg
    Heiland cases caps emitters.jpg
    424.3 KB · Views: 551

As long as we're discussing Heilands, along with 3 distinct end caps Heiland's trio also sport equally different bulb holders. The original Press S version also seems shorter but that might be the difference in depth of the end caps. (Apologies for the bad quality of the pix, but they're old [Kodak Tri-X].)
http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=519154&stc=1
Mine is:

Top tube
Right guts
Middle endcap

[emoji39]

Top tube
Right guts
Middle endcap

That's as close to an MPP as you can get without it being one. I have the same combo and an MPP as well.

Heilands are better quality. MPPs, frankly, are flimsy.

Side by side.
attachment.php

Attachments

• MPP Heiland Comparison.jpg
    MPP Heiland Comparison.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 475

I just found another heiland, but with all the wrong stuff. I didn't bother asking a price.

I thought I read somewhere that the MPP was a cheap knockoff of a Heiland. I cant' recall where I read that, I wish I could provide a link.

Last edited:

I don't have a Heiland to compare it to, but the MPP I have, when compared to a Graflex, is laughable in its sturdiness. I second the quality issue on the MPP. Particularly the clamp and clamp lever.

WOO-HOO! ! ! (I think)
I just received my Heiland today. It's got the wrong end on it - hexagonal :cry. But it has the right guts & round holes. 2015-08-24 23.01.14.jpg 2015-08-24 23.00.36.jpg

Trade ya top 7/8s!

Only thing "correct" on mine is the bottom. And this thread is making me think about looking for better parts. gah.

My Synchronar has the proper guts, rounded ports, but not the right endcap. It's got the female port on the bottom but it's octagonal and there aren't any threads or knurling around its sides. I plugged the hole in the 'front' face of the tube and I'm looking for a way to chrome it so it would, at the very least, resemble the chrome around it. I was thinking using maybe Spax Stix but that'd mean I'd have to get an airbrush and stuff. Either that or chrome tape. Any suggestions?

You can check out caswellplating for a small kit like this: http://www.caswellplating.com/elect...-plate-kits/plug-n-plate-copy-chrome-kit.html
I'm not sure what the base material of the plug you installed is, but you could plate it something else first if necessary, and then use that kit (or preferably be able to use just that kit by itself). I don't know how well the chrome and the chrome-like will really blend either, but it might be worth looking into.

Don't think I can do that as the plug is just Apoxie Sculpt. However, that does spur ideas for future things I want to do! Thanks for bringing that to my attention!

You can check out caswellplating for a small kit like this: http://www.caswellplating.com/elect...-plate-kits/plug-n-plate-copy-chrome-kit.html
I'm not sure what the base material of the plug you installed is, but you could plate it something else first if necessary, and then use that kit (or preferably be able to use just that kit by itself). I don't know how well the chrome and the chrome-like will really blend either, but it might be worth looking into.

That is pretty awesome. My Heiland is really scratched up, this might be a possible solution.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back