Vader's MPP shroud (update)

Re: Vader's MPP shroud

Here's a question about machining: how did you guys come to the conclusion to use square stock instead a thick walked tube or round bar stock? That seems like so much metal to remove!

Here's a question about machining: how did you guys come to the conclusion to use square stock instead a thick walked tube or round bar stock? That seems like so much metal to remove!

Well, it wasn't me who came to this conclusion, but my supplier :)
But I can give you a few reasons:
- 4 parts can be made out of 1 piece
- a square piece is easy to position and fixate
- the material must be rotated for machining the other side, this is easier with a square piece.
- you need sufficient material for proper clamping.
- the interior of the part is machined as well
- depends on what's in stock.

I can't think of any more reasons, but I'm sure that there are.

Well, it wasn't me who came to this conclusion, but my supplier :)
But I can give you a few reasons:
- 4 parts can be made out of 1 piece
- a square piece is easy to position and fixate
- the material must be rotated for machining the other side, this is easier with a square piece.
- you need sufficient material for proper clamping.
- the interior of the part is machined as well
- depends on what's in stock.

I can't think of any more reasons, but I'm sure that there are.

One thing will be that the way of production itself is not accurate to the old parts, as i´m pretty sure there was no cnc involved in the good old times. ;)

And i noticed that todays cnc-machinist just look different to any tasks than the oldtimers with their conventional machines. The different way of machining trained them to, they are not used the old way.

And at the end, the cnced parts look different to the trained eye, one of the reason why i often don´t like the cnced replications of old parts - but with this part it will not matter, after the wrinkle paint is on the differencies should be invisible

One thing will be that the way of production itself is not accurate to the old parts, as i´m pretty sure there was no cnc involved in the good old times. ;)

And i noticed that todays cnc-machinist just look different to any tasks than the oldtimers with their conventional machines. The different way of machining trained them to, they are not used the old way.

And at the end, the cnced parts look different to the trained eye, one of the reason why i often don´t like the cnced replications of old parts - but with this part it will not matter, after the wrinkle paint is on the differencies should be invisible

This is all very true. But the good thing of these modern rapid prototyping techniques is that a smaller quantity production is much more affordable, because no special tooling is required, even though tooling itself became more affordable as well.

The original shrouds were casted. I investigated casting in aluminium as a method for this run, but I didn't find a satisfying and affordable solution.

And like you say: for this part, a lot of the details are covered by the wrinkle coating.

But I totally agree that it's best if the processes of the original and the replica are identical. That's what I try all the time and that's why I did invest in tooling for the bubble strip and that is also why clamps and stamped parts are much harder to realize in small quantities.

When Roy and I took a real close look at my vintage MPP shroud ... it's quite obvious to see somesort of a seamline when taken apart from the MPP tube ... that would suggest a metal casting made from a mold ... and since the shroud is rather light and not magnetic we suspect it's an aluminum casting or other rather light metal-alloy :)

Chaim

If round stock is the same like it is over here it's also more expensive then square stock. don't know if that plays into anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there are a few heilands on eBay going for 65-70 bucks, are those the ones we need to convert to vaders? I'm trying to find some good threads on how to convert to vaders. vaders is new to me, and I'm under the impression theres 3 vader sabers? any good place to go to learn the difference between them all?

there are a few heilands on eBay going for 65-70 bucks, are those the ones we need to convert to vaders? I'm trying to find some good threads on how to convert to vaders. vaders is new to me, and I'm under the impression theres 3 vader sabers? any good place to go to learn the difference between them all?

You are correct... there were three Vader lightsabers for each of the three movies - four if you count the holiday special lightsaber ;-)

But the thing to point out first is that none of the Vaders were made from Heilands, the Vader sabers used in ANH and ESB were made from M.P.P. Microflash units. But, the Heiland is a close approximation to the MPP and is a) easier to find and b) a heck of a lot cheaper to buy when/if you find one generally speaking.

The Vader ROTJ lightsaber is made from a bastardized Graflex...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back