Dr. Hank Pym - T-34 Russian Tank Keychain Build - Ant-Man

Daniel Nelms

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So after watching Ant-Man I knew right away that I wanted to one of Dr. Pym's tank keychains for myself.

After talking to IronManiac about it he dug up this article about the tank and we found out that it was a Russian T-34.

I had a look around and found this little 1:100 scale model kind on Amazon and as luck would have it, that was just about the perfect size. Bonus the kit came from Russia!

IMG_0609.JPG
IMG_0610.JPG
With five snap together pieces this is probably the easiest model I have ever assembled.

IMG_0611.JPG
Placed on top of my pewter Starlord rocket button for an idea of scale.

IMG_0612.JPG

Pocket size? Oh yes!

Next thing I have to do is make some "153" number and star decals, paint/weathering and add the keychain piece. I was able to track those down as well but I could only find them in packs of 24 and being that I only need one I find that somewhat annoying. ;)

More to come when the other parts arrive.

According to the IMDB trivia, this is the tank briefly seen in the 'newsreel' footage (supposed to a mission in Cuba), which Hank shrank. It was decided that showing a tank shrink would give away the keychain gag too soon, so that scene was cut. I took a quick look on eBay for tank keychains, but didn't find anything reasonable. With my luck I probably would have bought a US tank...

According to the IMDB trivia, this is the tank briefly seen in the 'newsreel' footage (supposed to a mission in Cuba), which Hank shrank. It was decided that showing a tank shrink would give away the keychain gag too soon, so that scene was cut. I took a quick look on eBay for tank keychains, but didn't find anything reasonable. With my luck I probably would have bought a US tank...

I found a metal tank but it's 1:76 scale which is a little bigger than I wanted. I like this one, for the price that is. All told I have spent less than $25 but ended up with a bunch of key chain rings and eye bolts that I don't need.

I remember seeing the news reel, and Pym as the ant-man flying around. There were tanks but as you said, I don't remember him shrinking any.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been looking around for the keychains, but I couldn't figure out what type of tank it was myself. Nice!

When you can't buy it, build it. :D

- - - Updated - - -

Possibly, I was not able to find a Russian T-34 made by hotwheels but it is entirely possible. A friend of mine who works at a prop shop once told me "property masters are lazy". ;)

I just saw the movie (great fun, btw, and TWO stinger scenes at the end...); the 'tank' thing sort of 'broke the movie logic' of reducing the space between the atoms with the resulting object still having the original mass. I don't know about you, but I don't think I could carry several tons in my pocket without it ripping off my leg... but that premise was treated very loosely throughout (ants are strong, but pretty sure they couldn't carry a pound or two of C4 'mass' on one ant's back - just for example.)

Still, I really enjoyed the film, those points aside. Its called 'suspension of disbelief for a reason!
R/ Robert

http://boingboing.net/2015/07/13/ant-man-the-physics-of-shrink.html

"When Ant-Man needs to knock out a security guard or toss a toy train, the coupling between Higgs and Pym fields is broken. Then he momentarily is small yet with his full-grown weight. Being struck with a punch of a 160-pound adult, across a tiny surface area of a shrunken fist, would exert quite a pressure. As to how Ant-Man is able to couple and decouple these two fundamental fields at will – well, superheroes must have their secrets, but I’m willing to bet that it involves the Kosmos dimension and the quantum realm in some way."

http://nerdist.com/the-science-of-small-how-does-the-ant-man-suit-work/

It's all good fun but mass does not equal weight, I'm no scientist but my guess is that the deus ex machina aka "Pym particles" have something to do with it.
Ant man for example can jump much longer distances than a human can at relative size, so the effect of gravity on his mass must be far less. The same reason he can fly on the the back of an ant. If mass equaled weight it would break the poor thing in half.

We could spitball and throw out some wild ideas because it's all fiction anyway but maybe the suit channels these particles in some special way so that when he charges and speed or rushes a person or throws a punch the regulator increases or decreases the particle flow through the suit and somehow plays with gravity and kinetic energy?

Scifi is fun because you can bend the laws of physics and do some wacky stuff with it andat the end of the day it sure is entertaining. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello me and my girlfriend just got back from seeing the movie (BTW probs one of the best phase 2 marvel movies) and the second i saw the keychain i fell in love with it because im a big tanks person and i knew it was a T-34 with the 85 mm gun and i looked for how to get me one but no one sold them but then i found this and i was really liking your idea and i was wondering where you purchased the 1:100 scale model because i was having trouble finding one or if you have a link on where to get one.

Hello me and my girlfriend just got back from seeing the movie (BTW probs one of the best phase 2 marvel movies) and the second i saw the keychain i fell in love with it because im a big tanks person and i knew it was a T-34 with the 85 mm gun and i looked for how to get me one but no one sold them but then i found this and i was really liking your idea and i was wondering where you purchased the 1:100 scale model because i was having trouble finding one or if you have a link on where to get one.

Amazon Zvezda Models Soviet Tank T-34/76 SnapKit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004FHIOKW/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_6CrVvbS164054

How strong is the model? Would it break up or snap in your pocket?

Quite possibly. I thought about buying a 3D model, printing it and then casting it in resin but the problem is the little barrel coming out of the turret it's always going to be a spindle and easy to break. The rest of it not so much.

The only other option would be to cast it in metal which again will be tricky because of the spindly little barrel.

If you've got any ideas I'm all ears! :)

Is there any way of inserting a paperclip or some such thing into the barrel? but I must say it is looking so awesome! :$

It's not hollow so I don't think that will work but it could be cut off and replaced with one, I still think it could bend in your pocket.
The quality of the plastic is pretty good, it's not real thin like I would have expected.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back