Fifth Element prop builds & acquisitions 15 Feb 2016: Mangalore rifle sling

kurtyboy

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
About time I worked on this as it's been gathering dust for about 5 years! Zorg's build thread is proving to be a great help.

Mainly just filling in the dents and gouges but leaving the seam line intact as it's on the originals.
mangalore1.jpg

mangalore2.jpg

This detail was damaged but I was able to get some extras.
mangalore3.jpg

mangalore4.jpg

Side plate was pretty uneven on the underside so I'm fixing that.
mangalore5.jpg

Front tip will be made using Zorg's method.
mangalore6.jpg

Last edited:
Fifth Element prop builds. 17 October: Multipass woes!

Got the front nozzle done and started on the sling.
mangalore7.jpg

mangalore8.jpg

mangalore9.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Fith Element Mangalore rifle build

I love your use of the tape carrier and other bits. It's how I do the detail on my projects and I love hunting around shops and all the junk at home looking for this stuff!

Fith Element prop builds & acquisitions. 16 Nov:Mangalore Grenade / President's Phone

Thanks Bill, although credit goes to Zorg for coming up with this solution.

Got the sling netting done and found my Enfield sling which is what the original props used.
mangalore10.jpg

Some tests at dirtying up the deerskin for the sling covering...
mangalore11.jpg

I decided to do a lot more clean up than I had planned. Still undecided about the main seamline that runs right around the casting. It was present on the stunts but not on the hero prop sold at Prop Store.
mangalore12.jpg

Mock up of the serial number plate. Final will be vinyl decal on embossing aluminium with stamped numbers.
mangalore13.jpg

Last edited:

That's looking great! Did somebody do a run of those resin casts at some point?

I went to watch The 5TH Element after reading about the seams and sure enough, they are there on pretty much all the guns. Gotta love HD.

There was a limited run 4-5 years ago, only about 10 were produced as far as I remember.

Stunt on the left, hero on the right:
stunthero.jpg

Although looks like they didn't bother removing the seam from the back.
hero1.jpg

Good old Luc Besson and his circles in the middle of everything.

My personal opinion on the seams is to finish it to look as real as possible/eliminate the seams entirely. That's just me, though.

Love it.....going to dig out the bluray tonight now myself.

I just realized where that fan grill part is from!

Has it already been identified?

It's tough not to love those guns. Weird and odd as they are, it just adds so much alien charm.

After a long think about it I decided to remove the seam, but I'll leave the seam at the back and behind the grip like it is on the hero rifles.
mangalore15.jpg

mangalore16.jpg

After the first pass. Still some tidying up to be done.
mangalore18.jpg

mangalore19.jpg

Still got to do the fiddly bits!
mangalore17.jpg

I'm so pathetic I have to get a metal worker to bend the rails for me. I was going to buy a vice grip and do it myself but I have nothing suitable to attach it to!
He's going to get them welded for me as well anyway so two birds with one stone. Just need to draw up the templates for him :)

Vinyl decals have been ordered for the serial number plate, got the embossing aluminium and am still waiting for the die stamps to arrive from China.

Looks to me like the two barrels on the hero rifles are aluminium tubes. Seriously considering hacking the fiber glass ones off and replacing them with metal ones!

Working on a template for the rails to be bent into shape. A bit tricky allowing for perspective.
rails2.jpg

rails1.jpg

Thanks very much guys.

Difficult seams are now gone.
mangalore21.jpg

Serial number plate just needs the numbers stamped into the aluminium as soon as I get the die stamps.
mangalore22.jpg

And got this update from my metal guy, Sidewinder :)
mangalore23.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back