Fifth Element prop builds & acquisitions 15 Feb 2016: Mangalore rifle sling

Re: Fith Element prop builds. 2 October: Korben's alarm clock

Not very accurate LOL!

Tim, you can get the eyelets on ebay. Size 2mm. How exactly is your battery holder/switch made?
Thanks!

The battery holder/switch is a homebrew arrangement. The kit conveniently leaves a little cavity for the coin cell. I added a clear piece of flexible clear plastic underneath the top "ring" and glued the yellow dome thing on top. I taped a piece of solid wire to the underside of the clear plastic (you can see it in my first pic). Not visible is another wire on the bottom of the "cavity." There's enough space such that electrical contact is only made if you press down on the yellow dome and flex the clear plastic such that the wire makes contact...kinda like one of those cheap LED flashlights that you squeeze to turn on momentarily. IIRC, a CR1616 battery was just the right thickness (1.6 mm) for this setup to work.

The disc that makes up the bottom of the "cavity" is not glued to the prop but held on with two tiny eyeglass screws. That way, I can take the screws out, remove the disc like it's a battery door, and replace the battery.

Hope that helps!

I need a new back graphic for my MulitiPass though, so let me know if you work up to redoing the LeeLoo one. ;)

Re: Fith Element prop builds. 3 October: Korben's phone update.

Actually I missed those so thanks for that! Looks like I need to start my Multipasses all over again LOL!

There were pretty good photos of the ones up for auction. I'm sure you saw those. The print quality was surprisingly poor.

-MJ

Re: Fith Element prop builds. 3 October: Korben's phone update.

Shame on you.

Attachments

• img5.jpg
    img5.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 103
  • multipass from auction 2015.jpg
    multipass from auction 2015.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 127
  • img4-1.jpg
    img4-1.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 123
  • bd_pass.jpg
    bd_pass.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 107
  • leeloo multipass sdcc 2015.jpg
    leeloo multipass sdcc 2015.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 121
  • img6-1.jpg
    img6-1.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 124
  • shot0022.png
    shot0022.png
    438 KB · Views: 104
  • shot0021.png
    shot0021.png
    469.7 KB · Views: 120
  • img4.jpg
    img4.jpg
    515.4 KB · Views: 117
  • img5-1.jpg
    img5-1.jpg
    580.2 KB · Views: 115
Fifth Element prop builds. 5 October: Korben's phone update.

Anyone have an idea what the multi-colored rod could be? Almost looks like a clear tube with colored beads inside.
rod.jpg

I've got the front face and body of the phone done. Just the back 'ribs' to do, the antenna, and add electronics.

I thickened up the side frames around the screen and filled some seams.
korbenphone16.jpg

Filled some seams on the body and added the top face.
korbenphone17.jpg

Made a new frosted screen from a piece of CD jewel case sanded and edges beveled so it sits flush with the frame.
korbenphone19.jpg

Final front face. I've tried to match the seams on the original which was also put together from several pieces.
korbenphone20.jpg

korbenphone15.jpg

Also ordered some thinner red acrylic rod than what I currently have.

Fifth Element prop builds. 8 October: Multipass electronics

Voice in the Crowd did some soldering for me tonight. Far to fiddly for me. Haven't got the buttons figured out yet as I'm waiting for some of the ultra thin coin batteries to arrive..
Multipass19.jpg

Re: Fifth Element prop builds. 8 October: Multipass electronics

That colored rod looks like glass diodes in a plastic tube.

Colored rod looks like airbrush painted stripes to me.

The colors look like they are inside to me. Haven't been able to find such thin plastic tubes. it's almost like a drinking straw in thickness but only about 3mm wide.

It's not just clear yellow plastic stock? Like you might get from a European version of Plastruct?

Looking at the red antenna on the phone, I was reminded of 1980's Lego "space" antennas in clear red. Perhaps a similar part could be substituted for the Multipass? A clear yellow Lego lightsaber blade? Depends somewhat on the length I suppose. Assuming the props are warm yellow and not neon green-yellow.

http://www.google.com/search?q=lego...e=off&tbm=isch&q=lego+clear+yellow+lightsaber

Translucent yellow rod is what Matt includes with his kit and readily available, but the multipass rod is multi-coloured with the colored bands appearing to be on the inside of a hollow tube. I'm seeing bands of red, orange, yellow and greens. The two rods pictured above look identical (just flipped round).

Voice in the Crowd did some soldering for me tonight. Far to fiddly for me. Haven't got the buttons figured out yet as I'm waiting for some of the ultra thin coin batteries to arrive..
http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv142/kurtyboy2/props2/Multipass19.jpg
Looking good! FYI, if you're using a lithium coin battery, you don't need the current limiting resistor. Omitting it will save you some space, which is at a premium with this build.

Brush end protector tube that you get with some really fine artist/modelling brushes?

SAS

It's a good suggestion. Will see if I can get this size at the £ store tonight.

Fifth Element prop builds. 13 October: Multipass and trophies.

Couldn't find these tubes small enough. Still looking at alternatives (thanks Sidewinder!)

To do me in the meantime I got a cheap pair of reading glasses from China and straightened out the arms with some heat.
Multipass21.jpg

Painted up and the electronics work. Still waiting for the squared rod to arrive. The decal is temporary as I've redone them using the screen used photos.
Multipass20.jpg

Still need to add the dark accents to the trophies.
trophies1.jpg

Re: Fifth Element prop builds. 13 October: Multipass and trophies.

I have to say your built and progress threads are so entertaining and informative, I always enjoy them.
I gave never big attention to the 5th element props, except for the relic stones, but your blaster is very tempting me. The original looks so brillant and cool, yours is going to be incredible, too. Any progress on the gun?

Loving the Fifth Element love...got a Zorg Leeloo hand kit sitting next to me and may give it a go this weekend.

Thanks Andy. I need to get back to the Mangalore rifle soon.

I also have the Leeloo hand from Zorg. I was lucky to get on his first run where he offered them painted and he did an incredible job of it.

Should have a few more 5E item soon, just worried about where I'm going to display them. Not much space left! :unsure

Thanks Andy. I need to get back to the Mangalore rifle soon.

I also have the Leeloo hand from Zorg. I was lucky to get on his first run where he offered them painted and he did an incredible job of it.

Should have a few more 5E item soon, just worried about where I'm going to display them. Not much space left! :unsure
:D
Send me your captain kangaroo that should free up LOADS of space

Fifth Element prop builds. 17 October: Multipass woes!

No can do, it's part of my 'Most Iconic Props' mini-collection!

Right, back to the bloody Multipasses. I thought I was nearly done but then decided the hole in the top left for the ball chain was too big and was missing the slight 'lip' around it. This of course would've been easier to do before painting!
Multipass22.jpg

Multipass23.jpg

Multipass24.jpg

And then I decided I wanted to add the screws visible on Leeloo's that was auctioned. Thankfully I only need to do this to one Multipass as there are no screws visible on Korben's (although they are visible on the one in the book which I believe is actually Leeloo's with the graphics changed - the paint chips match).

I used a 1:1 printed template to try and match the hole positions but it was very tricky as Matt's kit was not designed for screws so close to the edges. In fact, one actually went through the edge. In hindsight I should've thickened up this layer.

Drilling the holes in the end cap took several attempts of filling and re-drilling as they would not match up with the front of the pass even though I was drilling through both pieces at the same time. Then I realized that the drill bit was slipping past the inner edge of the outer ring so I solved this by adding a thin strip of plastic to the inner edge.

And again, I really should've done this before painting!!!

The screws are temporary and will be replaced with countersunk screws that are long enough to go right through to the front of the pass.

Multipass27.jpg

Multipass25.jpg

Multipass26.jpg

I got both 2mm and 2.5mm ball chains.
Multipass28.jpg

:D
Send me your captain kangaroo that should free up LOADS of space

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back