Files for a 3d printed Jurassic park cryocan interior

laellee

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey there,

Had some time out of 'the office' recently, so I modeled up a JP cryocan interior as a proof-of concept for a couple of mechanicals I've been working on.... Thought I'd throw the print files up here for you printers out there that might want to give it a shot. I didn't go crazy on this, so while it might fit inside a cut Barbasol can, I'm making no guarantees. I've also not printed this yet myself; I was more interested in getting a printable locking system working, and cryocans have a very similar mechanism to what I need.

So, anyways, I'm attaching a zip with the print files and instructions if anyone with a printer would like to tackle one. You will need to make or buy a 3/4" compression spring (like those in some cheap flashlights) to make the mechanism pop up when unlocked, and their is also a groove for an O-ring if you'd like to add that detail. The zip file also includes print files for the embryo vials (one or ten), and an attached note on the spring and o-ring.

If anyone gives this a shot, please let me know how well the mechanism works, and if the tolerances need adjusting. It should all be fine, but I really don't trust ANYTHING until it's physical item; computers lie sometimes. :)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/zobvw0yoas6lx2p/cryocan+exports.zip

(Just to be clear, these files are free to use... I only ask for feedback so I know stuff is working properly. If you're actually looking for the real deal and not just a 3d-printed novelty, then Rylo is your guy; snag one if you can. Thanks!)

Hey, I'm totally new to the forum - having decided to be Dennis Nedry for Halloween, I felt I simply had to have a Cryocan to go with my costume. I've searched around and read a lot of stuff and understand Rylo's is probably the gold-standard, but for the simple purpose of having a good-looking halloween prop, this looks like it will do very, very well and I signed up here just to say thanks. I found another free-to-use 3D printer model online, but this one seems much more accurate. My local university recently acquired something like 23 new 3D printers, and students/associated folks only have to pay for the print material, and can otherwise use the printers freely, so making my cryocan from a 3D print seems like the best option.

Just wanted to say thank you for sharing the files, and that the printed product looks great in your photos. Can't wait to try it myself. I noticed this post is from July, so if you have any updated information about this project to share, or even updated 3D files (in case anything needed tweaking after you printed them out yourself), I'd appreciate you sharing that information or those new files! Otherwise, again, looks great and I can't wait to try it. Thank you for sharing.

One last Q - so does it fit in a Barbasol can after all?

edit: I may have also used this forum to guide me on making a Dark Helmet mask (from Space Balls) last year so I'll have to go hunt that down and thank them too...

Last edited:
Hey, I'm totally new to the forum - having decided to be Dennis Nedry for Halloween, I felt I simply had to have a Cryocan to go with my costume. I've searched around and read a lot of stuff and understand Rylo's is probably the gold-standard, but for the simple purpose of having a good-looking halloween prop, this looks like it will do very, very well and I signed up here just to say thanks. I found another free-to-use 3D printer model online, but this one seems much more accurate. My local university recently acquired something like 23 new 3D printers, and students/associated folks only have to pay for the print material, and can otherwise use the printers freely, so making my cryocan from a 3D print seems like the best option.

Just wanted to say thank you for sharing the files, and that the printed product looks great in your photos. Can't wait to try it myself. I noticed this post is from July, so if you have any updated information about this project to share, or even updated 3D files (in case anything needed tweaking after you printed them out yourself), I'd appreciate you sharing that information or those new files! Otherwise, again, looks great and I can't wait to try it. Thank you for sharing.

One last Q - so does it fit in a Barbasol can after all?

edit: I may have also used this forum to guide me on making a Dark Helmet mask (from Space Balls) last year so I'll have to go hunt that down and thank them too...

Hi there,

Thanks for your post, and welcome to the RPF!

I did scale this to fit inside an actual Barabsol can, but have never confirmed it myself. So it should fit, and I modeled it specifically within tolerances so it would fit and stay in place if the rubber o-ring was added to the bottom. I can't guarantee it, but I'd say 80% sure, I did measure the outside diameter of an actual Barbasol can while modeling and subtracted the estimate wall thicknesses.

Perfect. I am very encouraged by that answer. Thanks, by the way, for happening to be awake still here at this time and answering my question so swiftly.

Couple more questions if you don't mind - do the ampule holes only fit your specific 3D-printed ampules or might they also fit the clear vials I see in some of the other replicas posted on this forum?

Also - do you happen to know the total weight in grams of the printed product? the cost for me to print this is 20 cents per gram of print material, so having no real concept of that, maybe I could not have the vials printed to save cost and required printing time (trying to get it in time for halloween but the site says it may take 1-2 weeks. cutting it way too close at this point! so any time saved is quite valuable)

Should be 172 grams of filament, 22 1/2 hours approximately to print. As for the vials, mine are scaled off of the screen-used vials as well, and should fit in other correct cans. I do kow that actual medical vials like that are quite expensive, so printing may still be a bit cheaper.

Thanks so much. The print should cost me a maximum of around $35 then, and maybe less if I don't do the vials. Not bad. We'll see if I can even get it done it time - I've a friend who is a teaching staff at the uni so maybe he can help me get the print expedited... again, a million times thank you. This is so cool.

If I manage to get it completed I'll try to post some pictures.

Hey Lael, The printer says there's a problem with the file ‘0717 lower grip’ - here's the text of his message:

"The problem is that the file contains several other pieces that it shouldn’t. It’s not just the lower grip, but also the lower grip plug, ampule ring base, bottom ampule ring, top ampule ring, and main base. We currently don’t have a way to separate them all to get just the lower grip. The nature of the file also means we cannot move any of the pieces around as they’re all being read as one piece. I’ve attached a picture to show you what I mean. It should be a quick fix for the person who made the file.

If you can get a copy of the file with just the lower grip and all the other pieces removed, we’re good to go. Our printer queue is empty at the moment, so as soon as we get the file, we can prep it and send it to the printer."

I'll try to attach the picture he mentioned in my next post if I can figure out how to do that on mobile. Until then, think you could take a look at the lower grip file?

- - - Updated - - -

Lower grip problem screenshot:

LowerGripProb.png

I noticed that you also posted these files on MyMiniFactory, so I decided to download them from there in case the files there happened to be updated/fixed. It does appear that the set of files there is different with several files having the word "fixed" inserted into their filenames. However, there are several "lower_grip_fixed" files like "lower_grip_fixed.stl" and "lower_grip_fixed_0.stl" up through "lower_grip_fixed_3.stl" so I'm not sure what to make of that.

Any feedback/advice about this situation?

Last edited:
No idea. MMF does as they'd like with my stuff.

Ah, alright. Did you happen to see my post above the one about MMF? The one about the erroneous ‘0717 lower grip’ file? I downloaded that one from your mediafire link here. I don't mean to burden you; I know you released these files for free and aren't necessarily offering troubleshooting/support, but any chance you could take a look at that file and see if you can figure out what the printer guy is talking about with all those other parts being found in the ‘0717 lower grip’ file? If I can get that sorted out, the print can be done tomorrow. I'm very eager - halloween is approaching quickly!

Last edited:
No idea. MMF does as they'd like with my stuff.

Again, sorry to keep bugging you about this but I figured I'd try one more time with Halloween closing in quickly. Did you see this post: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=243168&p=3798420&viewfull=1#post3798420

There's a problem with the "0717 lower grip" file - it contains several of the other parts in it and they can't print that one file, otherwise everything is good to go and ready to print. Do you have any idea what's happening? They insist it would be a quick fix for the author of the files, maybe a matter of just going into that file and deleting the other objects aside from the lower grip. Any chance you could take a quick look?

Again, sorry to keep bugging you about this but I figured I'd try one more time with Halloween closing in quickly. Did you see this post: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=243168&p=3798420&viewfull=1#post3798420

There's a problem with the "0717 lower grip" file - it contains several of the other parts in it and they can't print that one file, otherwise everything is good to go and ready to print. Do you have any idea what's happening? They insist it would be a quick fix for the author of the files, maybe a matter of just going into that file and deleting the other objects aside from the lower grip. Any chance you could take a quick look?

Hey, no problem. My father just passed away, so I'm juggling a lot of stuff. I'll do my best to get this straightened out tomorrow, hopefully that works for you. Also, I think individual objects can be pulled out in Netfab, but I'm not positive on that. I'll do what I can.

Hey, no problem. My father just passed away, so I'm juggling a lot of stuff. I'll do my best to get this straightened out tomorrow, hopefully that works for you. Also, I think individual objects can be pulled out in Netfab, but I'm not positive on that. I'll do what I can.

Wow, I'm so so sorry to hear this. My condolences. Only pay any attention to this if you just happen to have extra time.. I wouldn't want to pull you away from any of that. I'll check out Netfab myself and see if I can resolve the issue. I'm totally a novice with 3D software otherwise I'd have already tried.

Thanks for replying at all, and again sorry to hear about your father.

Hey there,

Had some time out of 'the office' recently, so I modeled up a JP cryocan interior as a proof-of concept for a couple of mechanicals I've been working on.... Thought I'd throw the print files up here for you printers out there that might want to give it a shot. I didn't go crazy on this, so while it might fit inside a cut Barbasol can, I'm making no guarantees. I've also not printed this yet myself; I was more interested in getting a printable locking system working, and cryocans have a very similar mechanism to what I need.

So, anyways, I'm attaching a zip with the print files and instructions if anyone with a printer would like to tackle one. You will need to make or buy a 3/4" compression spring (like those in some cheap flashlights) to make the mechanism pop up when unlocked, and their is also a groove for an O-ring if you'd like to add that detail. The zip file also includes print files for the embryo vials (one or ten), and an attached note on the spring and o-ring.

If anyone gives this a shot, please let me know how well the mechanism works, and if the tolerances need adjusting. It should all be fine, but I really don't trust ANYTHING until it's physical item; computers lie sometimes. :)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/zobvw0yoas6lx2p/cryocan+exports.zip

https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/fa74/meju38u273emeb54g.jpg

https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/9d72/nx1j9fbauntm6334g.jpg

(Just to be clear, these files are free to use... I only ask for feedback so I know stuff is working properly. If you're actually looking for the real deal and not just a 3d-printed novelty, then Rylo is your guy; snag one if you can. Thanks!)

Hey, so I thought I'd update you and anyone else interested.

I was able to get the cryocan 3D printed in time for halloween. I chose to print it with black printing filament, to be spray painted chrome to look metallic.

Here are the pieces fresh from the printer:
tYdZjcS.jpg

Those pieces just cleanly popped off of that base layer. The only piece that needed a lot of extraneous plastic removed was the right-most piece in the above picture. All of the grooves on the "unscrewable" base were loosely filled with extraneous filament. I was able to knock it all out of there with my finger nails or a screw driver. Once I knocked all that stuff out, it looked like the proper piece.

My first mistake here was my next step: I chose to spray paint the pieces before assembling them.
jiXydtO.jpg

LLqP6Ig.jpg

Looks great! But... after it dried enough to handle it, I realized that the paint made the pieces too thick to fit together properly, so I had to sand them down quite a bit. Needless to say, the very top-most surface of the paint might have been dry, but the depth of the paint wasn't, so the sanding process got quite messy and grimy. It really took the sheen off of the pieces, but I had to get the thing assembled in time for halloween, so on I went. Next time I'll either assemble it first and THEN spray paint the whole thing, or try to tape up the inner parts of the pieces that are supposed to fit together so that the spray paint doesn't get applied to those areas, and so they'll still fit together when assembled later.

RpprdbE.jpg

Here's what the final product ended up looking like. Like I said, it got a bit grimy-looking in the assembly process because of my inexperience with paint and all of that, but this was fine enough for my purposes. Obviously, the microcentrifuge tubes aren't screen-accurate. I couldn't get the screw-cap ones in a small enough batch (I didn't want to have 500 or 1000 of them just sitting around) and actually I didn't even receive these snap-cap ones in time for halloween, but that was OK. No big deal. Because of my botched assembly, my cryocan lacks the twist-and-pop-up action element to it. It does have a spring in there, so if the thing is pressed down, it'll go down and pop up, but it won't stay down by itself, and it doesn't twist and pop up. That's also OK. I'll probably print it again at some point and try to make it more perfect looking and functional. For what it's worth, although all my pics show the inner mechanism outside of the Barbasol can, it DOES successfully fit perfectly inside the Barbasol can.

nM4NQSu.png

Here's my whole costume. It was a lot of fun to put this costume together - the stickers on the jacket and the cryocan and the Nedry ID tag and all of it. This pic was taken immediately after I arrived at the party, and right after this I went and applied some black splotchy halloween makeup to my face for the Dilophosaurus spit. No pix of that, unfortunately. I gave it some thought, but decided I wasn't dedicated enough to shave my beard to really complete the costume. Oh well! Anyway, the costume got a ton of great comments from friends and strangers alike, and my friend entered me in the bar's costume contest without my knowledge. I ended up getting called up there a few times to show everything off to the judges and eventually I won the "most creative" category for a prize of some Beats by Dre Beats Solo 2 headphones. I'm a headphone enthusiast so the Beats won't do me any good, so I'll just sell them, but that's a $120+ prize, so that's pretty cool. I thank you, Lael, of course, for providing these 3D files freely for others to use. Clearly I couldn't have accomplished it without your help.

A couple weeks after halloween, the 3D printing lab at the university library had their "open house" and I stopped by there to check it out and show off my 3D printed item. They all thought it was cool and took some pix of it to post to their website (I presume).

I saw this 3D printed t-rex skull and had to get a pic of the cryocan next to it. Too nice a match.
Jv8W8At.jpg

Anyway, that's all I got. Thanks again Lael for providing the 3D files. This has been a really fun project for me, and I'll probably give it another go some time to make it that bit more screen-accurate.

If anyone has any questions or comments for me, lemme know!

Last edited:
Hey, so I thought I'd update you and anyone else interested.

I was able to get the cryocan 3D printed in time for halloween. I chose to print it with black printing filament, to be spray painted chrome to look metallic.

Here are the pieces fresh from the printer:
http://i.imgur.com/tYdZjcS.jpg

Those pieces just cleanly popped off of that base layer. The only piece that needed a lot of extraneous plastic removed was the right-most piece in the above picture. All of the grooves on the "unscrewable" base were loosely filled with extraneous filament. I was able to knock it all out of there with my finger nails or a screw driver. Once I knocked all that stuff out, it looked like the proper piece.

My first mistake here was my next step: I chose to spray paint the pieces before assembling them.
http://i.imgur.com/jiXydtO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/LLqP6Ig.jpg

Looks great! But... after it dried enough to handle it, I realized that the paint made the pieces too thick to fit together properly, so I had to sand them down quite a bit. Needless to say, the very top-most surface of the paint might have been dry, but the depth of the paint wasn't, so the sanding process got quite messy and grimy. It really took the sheen off of the pieces, but I had to get the thing assembled in time for halloween, so on I went. Next time I'll either assemble it first and THEN spray paint the whole thing, or try to tape up the inner parts of the pieces that are supposed to fit together so that the spray paint doesn't get applied to those areas, and so they'll still fit together when assembled later.

http://i.imgur.com/RpprdbE.jpg

Here's what the final product ended up looking like. Like I said, it got a bit grimy-looking in the assembly process because of my inexperience with paint and all of that, but this was fine enough for my purposes. Obviously, the microcentrifuge tubes aren't screen-accurate. I couldn't get the screw-cap ones in a small enough batch (I didn't want to have 500 or 1000 of them just sitting around) and actually I didn't even receive these snap-cap ones in time for halloween, but that was OK. No big deal. Because of my botched assembly, my cryocan lacks the twist-and-pop-up action element to it. It does have a spring in there, so if the thing is pressed down, it'll go down and pop up, but it won't stay down by itself, and it doesn't twist and pop up. That's also OK. I'll probably print it again at some point and try to make it more perfect looking and functional. For what it's worth, although all my pics show the inner mechanism outside of the Barbasol can, it DOES successfully fit perfectly inside the Barbasol can.

http://i.imgur.com/nM4NQSu.png

Here's my whole costume. It was a lot of fun to put this costume together - the stickers on the jacket and the cryocan and the Nedry ID tag and all of it. This pic was taken immediately after I arrived at the party, and right after this I went and applied some black splotchy halloween makeup to my face for the Dilophosaurus spit. No pix of that, unfortunately. I gave it some thought, but decided I wasn't dedicated enough to shave my beard to really complete the costume. Oh well! Anyway, the costume got a ton of great comments from friends and strangers alike, and my friend entered me in the bar's costume contest without my knowledge. I ended up getting called up there a few times to show everything off to the judges and eventually I won the "most creative" category for a prize of some Beats by Dre Beats Solo 2 headphones. I'm a headphone enthusiast so the Beats won't do me any good, so I'll just sell them, but that's a $120+ prize, so that's pretty cool. I thank you, Lael, of course, for providing these 3D files freely for others to use. Clearly I couldn't have accomplished it without your help.

A couple weeks after halloween, the 3D printing lab at the university library had their "open house" and I stopped by there to check it out and show off my 3D printed item. They all thought it was cool and took some pix of it to post to their website (I presume).

I saw this 3D printed t-rex skull and had to get a pic of the cryocan next to it. Too nice a match.
http://i.imgur.com/Jv8W8At.jpg

Anyway, that's all I got. Thanks again Lael for providing the 3D files. This has been a really fun project for me, and I'll probably give it another go some time to make it that bit more screen-accurate.

If anyone has any questions or comments for me, lemme know!

Love it, great costume! I don't know why, but this was definitely one of my favorite things to model 'just because'. If it's OK with you, I'd like to share your pics on my Facebook! :thumbsup

Love it, great costume! I don't know why, but this was definitely one of my favorite things to model 'just because'. If it's OK with you, I'd like to share your pics on my Facebook! :thumbsup

It's a great, iconic piece and and it's something very widely recognized/enjoyed - it enthuses people to see the object brought to life. That's what I think makes it so great and if I knew how to 3D model stuff, I'd have enjoyed bringing this to life as well. Again, thank you for sharing.

I do give you permission to use the pictures. May I befriend you on facebook, at least temporarily, just to see your post about it?

It's a great, iconic piece and and it's something very widely recognized/enjoyed - it enthuses people to see the object brought to life. That's what I think makes it so great and if I knew how to 3D model stuff, I'd have enjoyed bringing this to life as well. Again, thank you for sharing.

I do give you permission to use the pictures. May I befriend you on facebook, at least temporarily, just to see your post about it?

My page is Indigenous Effects, you can find it here:

https://www.facebook.com/IndigenousEffects1/

I'll probaly manage to get something up in the next couple hours if I can get caught up with regular work :thumbsup

Hello, i like your mechanism for the cryo canister! I have one problem, the file with the lower grip is merged with some other part i could`nt detach from the model. Can you please send me lower grip model?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back