GHOSTBUSTERS Pre-Release - film discussion only, no social commentary please!

BUFFY! :love

I-I-I-I mustav... I must have totally and utterly blocked that noise out of my mind and memory. Wow, so horrible.

wow, really? no one can replace ray parker jr, that's for sure..

but i thought if you where going to go different, that one wasn't all that bad.

oh, and it needed the PROPER ecto 1 siren at the start too..

wow, really? no one can replace ray parker jr, that's for sure..

but i thought if you where going to go different, that one wasn't all that bad.

oh, and it needed the PROPER ecto 1 siren at the start too..

Oh for sure. I have seen GB2 maybe 3-5 times. But I have no memory of THAT song.

I saw something online that apparently they are doing a promotion with the BET awards?

supposedly you're supposed to use something called Shazam, some kind of app. you find slimer with the app during the commercial they run, and you have a chance to win 4 flight suits?

probably one of the odder contests out there.

also, regarding the ray parker song..

can someone explain to me what part of it sounds like 'I want a new Drug?' any part at all?

I saw somewhere online that one of the reasons he sued might have been professional jealousy. supposedly Huey was supposed to write the song ghostbusters, but couldn't, due to his back to the future work. when ray got it, and the song became a big hit, walla, lawsuit.

makes as much sense as anything else.

Leaked footage

https://vimeo.com/117095495

- - - Updated - - -

also, regarding the ray parker song..

can someone explain to me what part of it sounds like 'I want a new Drug?' any part at all?

I saw somewhere online that one of the reasons he sued might have been professional jealousy. supposedly Huey was supposed to write the song ghostbusters, but couldn't, due to his back to the future work. when ray got it, and the song became a big hit, walla, lawsuit.

makes as much sense as anything else.

I think it was about the saxophone part that really sounded similar.

I had to use google to find out what the hell a fallout boy was and why he was involved in the new song lol. I've seen more Independence day commercials than ones for this, so either they're waiting to hit hard all at once or the advertising department isn't too bright. I do know they have a cross-over ad with Progressive Insurance.

A while back in this thread, I had suggested a plot for this movie that could work really well to reboot the franchise while still acknowledging the events of the other films.

It involved an alternate reality where the 1984 Ghostbusters existed. (And this franchise could work as a "crisis on infinite earths" way to unite it all)

http://movieweb.com/ghostbusters-2016-mandela-effect-theory/

Anyway, I'm not the on one who thinks that would be a good idea

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I had to use google to find out what the hell a fallout boy was and why he was involved in the new song lol. I've seen more Independence day commercials than ones for this, so either they're waiting to hit hard all at once or the advertising department isn't too bright. I do know they have a cross-over ad with Progressive Insurance.

100% agree with you Wes. independence day is on every commercial! barely any GB spots

100% agree with you Wes. independence day is on every commercial! barely any GB spots

maybe they are hoping it'll drop fast after the first week and they can save money on theater bookings..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2016/06/24/ghostbusters-writer-katie-dippold-they-said-it-was-the-worst-mov/

i love how they claim she's hollywoods most sought after writer.

3 paul feig movies and two short lived tv series. way to rewrite history ;o)

then this one <>>>

''the first Ghostbusters had been pretty poorly received at the time, only later acquiring the cult status which made it a sort of sacred text for geeks who genuinely believed that any sequel should be made by exactly the same people and star precisely the same cast.'

cult status? lol.....maybe the second one. but it's STILL loved for it being the most quotable movie of the year!

maybe some people saw her and pauls past work together and knew exactly what we where going to get? how's that for logic?
there was no question mcarthy was going to be in this. no question at all.

ahh, modern hollywood. gotta love 'em... crazy little bastards..

I love this comment too

>>Anyway, when she opened the Aykroyd book, “there was an inscription from Dan which said something like, ‘I’m here if you need any help at all, but most importantly: just have fun.’”>>

too me, that was dans desperate way of saying, PLEASE let me write the first draft. I want to regain control again. while at the same time trying to appear nice as a way to weasel himself back in.

This last one..it doesn't even make sense! how is that funny? just how bad is this thing going to be?
>>>On the Ghostbusters set, she was on-hand to pass Feig last-minute jokes on Post-It notes and she delighted in watching the cast improvise some of the best material including a brilliant scene in which Kevin, the dopey himbo receptionist played by Chris Hemsworth asks if he can bring “my cat” to work. When Melissa McCarthy’s character reveals she’s allergic to cats, he claims he is actually referring to his dog, whose full name is “Michael Hat” but Mike for short.>>>

only two or three weeks left of crazy. then we get to have fun anticipating the next hollywood trainwreck ;o).

Last edited:
Where to even start.

first, the original was not poorly recieved, it opened number one and stayed there for over a month in the middle of summer. It set new studio records as a huge smash right out of the gate.

second, YES, we disliked this before they started writing. Thats the whole point! How many times does it need to be said? If you lack reading comprehension, how did you become such a sought after writer?

the problem many had from the start was precicely because they didnt take a good story and green light it, they just took a gimmick and said "find some writer to hack something out for us"

not for nothing, but ive said from the beginning that is IS possible that said writer might accidently crap out soemthing decent while hacking up this gimmick idea. It could still turn out that way. But based on all weve seen, including this interview...the odds are not good.

(Note:, sorry for any typos. I tried to catch them all, but on mobile device, its not,always easy)

More bashing of anyone who isn't into this new movie.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/06/ghostbusters-fans-sexism-debate

I'm glad they settled that with plenty of insightful thought.

For the record, I loved Bridesmaids and everyone of the female cast has made me laugh at some point, and laugh with them. I'm tired of this sexism excuse. I'm sure there are people out there that hate the female cast, but i don't care about it. I don't think this movie comes close to ruining my childhood. I think that kind of thinking is silly. The originals still exist, it's just that this one looks like garbage.

"As McCarthy told The New York Times: “It is good to remember, it is a tiny, tiny fraction that screams. Normal, healthy people don’t stand outside, saying, ‘You’re ruining my childhood!’ There’s one nut on every corner in every city that does it. But so what? The other 300,000 people in a town aren’t doing that.”"

300,000 people... .but a 252,865 to 880,848 like to dislike on the first trailer. I'm sure that it would be just as bad if Sony hadn't decided to release new trailers on other youtube channels after that absolute landslide of negative likes.
The first sensible post in this entire thread!
Well done, sir!

Way to utterly dismiss my and Solo4114's sensible posts from significantly earlier in this thread. :p Is it only because we don't particularly like Feig's films, and don't find his "four of the funniest women I know" to be particularly amusing? Or that we objectively critique all of Sony's missteps in this project without resorting to hating on it or anyone involved?

--Jonah

Last edited by a moderator:
not for nothing, but ive said from the beginning that is IS possible that said writer might accidently crap out soemthing decent while hacking up this gimmick idea. It could still turn out that way. But based on all weve seen, including this interview...the odds are not good.

especially her odd little scribbles for stories that her parents actually ENCOURAGED her to continue as a kid. that was a little weird.

also . fond on my news feed this morning. apparently they are out there.
13516547_10209058477640339_7176707431817783045_n.jpg

This last one..it doesn't even make sense! how is that funny? just how bad is this thing going to be?
>>>On the Ghostbusters set, she was on-hand to pass Feig last-minute jokes on Post-It notes and she delighted in watching the cast improvise some of the best material including a brilliant scene in which Kevin, the dopey himbo receptionist played by Chris Hemsworth asks if he can bring “my cat” to work. When Melissa McCarthy’s character reveals she’s allergic to cats, he claims he is actually referring to his dog, whose full name is “Michael Hat” but Mike for short.>>>

and according to the article, that was 'the best material' they had to work with.

this thing is going to be scary. maybe now it will show people what hacks feig and friends are..but i doubt it

But, again, it won't matter. It will take, essentially, feminist voices out there to come out and say "So, it's great that Hollywood greenlit this film and gave these four funny women a chance to be the stars. But...they really could've used better material. This just ain't funny" for the "It's not funny" line to take hold. Otherwise, the "You're just sexist" defense will win out initially. Either that, or a massive rejection of the film by fans. But even then, I suspect the production team will bitterly blame the "haters" of the film and their sexist trolling.

It's kind of like in the depths of a political campaign. You can end up in an echo chamber where the only point of view you can see is the one to which you cleave. Everything else is crazy-talk or utterly inconceivable. There's probably a genuine belief among the people making the film that it's just these ******* sexists -- a small number, too -- who are to blame for negative press, and that once people get past that, they'll love the film. Which means if people don't love the film, of course it'll be because of those folks poisoning their minds.

I mean, never mind that there's plenty else wrong with this project. Never mind that several recent McCarthy films have been poorly received (even if they made decent box office money). It's nobody's fault but the sexists.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back